The MT-07 Forum

Can someone write tech tip for checking valve clearances?

Cruizin

• Global Moderator

I find that a well done how-to is a lot more helpful than the line drawings and text in a maintenance manual, plus it gives me a good idea of if it is something I want to try to tackle myself.  Hopefully someone will take this project on before my valve inspection is due. 

Tech tips are what make motorcycle forums useful and  attract new members.  When the day comes that we are "Too Good" to write and share tech tips to help others, I'll yank this entire website from the internet. Sharing and learning is what forums are about, otherwise we are no better than the facebook groups posting wheelie pics. 

• Premium Member

• Premium Member
6 minutes ago, fzar said:

Iv'e been looking at this lately to see if its worth the purchase over the $100+ yamaha service manual. https://haynes.com/en-us/yamaha-mt-07-fz-07-mt-07tr-tracer-xsr700-14-17-haynes-repair-manual

Anyone have this?? 

Nevermind, I have reading comprehension issues today. *facepalm*

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

• Premium Member
4 minutes ago, DewMan said:

$100+ for the official yamaha service manual from the dealership. click my link again and its $35.95 free shipping in the US to the 48

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I'm not looking at them for 19k miles yet, but I've checked 16 valves on my V4 ST1300 twice, no adjustment needed.

Got new red 2015 FZ-07 on 7/22/16!
Black 2006 Honda ST1300 53K miles.

Just now, no-lag said:

I might be taking the head off for work..... if I do I I’ll do it up. 

Ill make you a premium member for free if you can take pics or video.  We have more tech tips than anyone for the FZ-07 and this one will be mega important as peeps start adding more miles. 

BTW, you should visit your profile and upload a profile pic that will appear where that "N" is now. Also be sure to visit your account settings, set your notification settings to be sure that you get all important notifications. 

Just now, Cruizin said:

Ill make you a premium member for free if you can take pics or video.  We have more tech tips than anyone for the FZ-07 and this one will be mega important as peeps start adding more miles. 

BTW, you should visit your profile and upload a profile pic that will appear where that "N" is now. Also be sure to visit your account settings, set your notification settings to be sure that you get all important notifications. 

It’s keep telling me my photos are to large on my photo library so I’ll just have to google a premade smaller photo :( 

7 minutes ago, no-lag said:

It’s keep telling me my photos are to large on my photo library so I’ll just have to google a premade smaller photo :( 

Ok, the easiest way to correct that is to simply resize your photos. Each member can upload a max 3 mb photo. Which is HUGE. We limit pic size because we are trying to avoid paying hundreds per month in pic hosting bills.  But 2-3 MB is more than enough for pics. 

What device are you using to upload the pics? Iphone? PC? MAC?  Also, I suggest adjusting your device to adjust the size of your pics or it will fill up your storage very fast. Also make sure that your pics are JPG or PNG. 

1 minute ago, Cruizin said:

Ok, the easiest way to correct that is to simply resize your photos. Each member can upload a max 3 mb photo. Which is HUGE. We limit pic size because we are trying to avoid paying hundreds per month in pic hosting bills.  But 2-3 MB is more than enough for pics. 

What device are you using to upload the pics? Iphone? PC? MAC?  Also, I suggest adjusting your device to adjust the size of your pics or it will fill up your storage very fast. 

iPhone, I have a computer at the shop but other then that I’m using my iPhone to reply and upload photos and videos, so if there is a tutorial on how I can do this easy I will be posting my build as I build ect. Via iPhone 

1 minute ago, no-lag said:

iPhone, I have a computer at the shop but other then that I’m using my iPhone to reply and upload photos and videos, so if there is a tutorial on how I can do this easy I will be posting my build as I build ect. Via iPhone 

The fastest way to resize a photo on an iphone is to simply email it to yourself. Apple then resizes it in a format that can be uploaded and emailed easily. Standard iphone pics are just too large to be emailed or uploaded easily. 

Resize a Photo from the iPhone & iPad by Email

This relies on the Mail sending feature to change the resolution of an image sent from the iPhone or iPad, this is done by reducing the overall size to one of several options:

From the Photos app, select the photo(s) you want to resize then tap on the “Share” option (the little arrow icon)

Choose “Mail” and select the recipient, choosing your own email as the recipient if you want to just resize an image and share it with yourself

Tap on “Send” to bring about the resize options, choose one of the following to change the resolution of the picture as follows:

“Small” is 320×240 – so small it’s basically useless, hard to imagine a scenario where this size would be appropriate

“Medium” is 640×480″ – probably what ‘small’ should be

“Large” is 1632×1224 – exactly half of the full size image, the halving applies to all iOS devices for now

“Actual” is 3264×2448 – the full size image taken from the iPhone camera, not resized or compressed

After you sent the pictures to yourself, now you just need to tap and hold onto them to save them to the iPhone in their newly resized version. They will now upload easily to this and most other forums/websites. 

resize-photo-from-iphone.jpg

• 6 months later...

I'm at 10,550 miles (~16,900 km) right now and plan to be at the service interval for valve clearance check in probably 6-8 months. If no one makes a write up for it by then I'll be doing it and uploading my own write up at that point.

2003 Buell XB9R (2011-2011) Crashed
2009 Buell 1125CR (2011-2013) Sold
2015 Yamaha FZ-07 (2014-?) Current

308144.png

I'm due for valves this spring. I'm not sure I can manage a full write up, but my buddy is a bike mechanic so I can try and video / photograph the procedure as best as possible.

For what it's worth, the steps in the service manual that's floating around online is pretty clear and concise about the procedure as a backup plan.

Archived