The MT-07 Forum

1st bike for a new rider from SoCal

ShereKhan

This week I bought my very first bike. A liquid graphite/blue FZ-07.
It's a pretty unrealistic feeling to be able to ride a big boy bike. I feel like I have taken my training wheels off.
Since I am a new rider, I am still technically learning and getting used to of riding a manual bike.
My MSF course doesn't start till the end of October so I am just practising during my commutes to work and home.
If anyone has any pointers, it would be appreciated.

10518199_558890424215530_782881236_n.jpg

Just don't ride beyond your ability and don't be over confident, otherwise, it's an easy bike to ride. Take it somewhere that you can explore some of the limits, especially braking. The class will build confidence and you will learn a lot; they are very well run. Got your safety gear? Welcome aboard.

• Global Moderator

Congratulations on the new bike. You will love it. I echo everything jerryv says. I did the MSF soon after I bought mine and it really helped with my confidence. I learned a lot more than I expected (I guess that translates to I did not know as much as I though I did).

• Premium Member
hippiebikerchick

Welcome sherekhan! Sounds like you have some experience on a scooter?  :)

Illegitimi non carborundum

Don't listen to them. Go ahead, do wheelies (:)), its easy, FULL throttle, but make sure you get a video of the wheelies, it might be a hit on Youtube if the outcomes is as I would expect. :D
No, be careful, take your time to learn the bike and your limitations. The number one mistake is over confidence. Number 2 is peer pressure. For the rest, use your head.

• Global Moderator

Welcome @sherekhan, great to have you here. Thanks for joining. The fact that you admit that you are new to this and ask for pointers makes you a sensible rider. The bike wants to be driven, the limitation is usually the person sitting on it. Like others said, take it easy, don't be over confident and don't try to find the limits of the motorcycle is a great start. Don't try to be fast, try to be smooth. You will get the hang of it in no time. I've been riding for more then 25 years and I still have to concentrate and do my best. Bad habits usually creep in early and are very difficult to get rid of. Pretend that most cagers (cars) are out there to get you and be defensive.

• Premium Member
crazycracka501

Good job sherekhan, you got a great bike for a first timer. Jerryv is on point with regard to learning your bike. Remember 90 percent of your braking power is front and 10 at rear, try to brake before corners not in them. That should keep you alive long enough to get to class, the rest will be handled by your instructor. Have fun and good luck! Where you at in SoCal?

Make it stop!....Now make it go faster!

Welcome sherekhan! Sounds like you have some experience on a scooter?  :)
Haha you guessed it! I bought a cheap 150cc Chinese scooter over summer. It got pretty addicting and It only took me 2 months to realize that I need some with a bit more power and bigger wheels just in case I needed to get on the freeways. My commutes are actually really short, only 4miles to work and 4 miles back and so far I only put 400 miles on the scooter.  The MSF course near my city was soo full over summer that it was backed up for 3 months. I finally got a session available but it isn't till the end of October, so I am actually glad to have purchased the bike and take my course on the fz07.
I'm only 5'8 and 140lbs so this is a whole lot of bike for me to be a first. So I don't want to do something stupid that'll get my hurt. I've been trying to get to know the bike and practising late at night when the streets are pretty empty so getting the hang of changing gears without too much jerk or taking off on first without stalling (i only stalled once so far) but thank you all for the tips.
and to the ones that are in SoCal, I'm in Newport Beach/Costa Mesa area.

• Premium Member
hippiebikerchick

That's great! Knowing the rules of the road and the ability to balance on two wheels is more than half the battle. Master the shifting and all you need then is seat time.

Illegitimi non carborundum

• Premium Member

Welcome! I think everyone has said something I wouldn't tell you already. Maybe I'll see you around!

Instagram: @meekmade | You don't need to flat foot a bike to ride it.

I, like you, got the FZ-07 as my first bike. I bought it right after my MSF course. It really is a blast to ride and with the skills learned in the MSF course you will be headed in the right direction!

Archived