The MT-07 Forum

Harley-Davidson recalling 251,000 motorcycles worldwide because brakes could fail

r1limited

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

It says the brake fluid is supposed to be changed every two years.  So.... like after every fifth or sixth time they ride it?

Although they would have lasted longer if properly maintained, it's clearly an inferior product. Kawasaki also had a brake master pump made out of cheese between 1979 and 1981 IIRC, that would see the bore destroyed unless the brakes were perfectly maintained. Older and newer master cylinders are not affected.

If people are using the same brake fluid for all years and models and prolonging their maintenance the same way why is this only happening to bikes made 2008 -2011? Were the brakes made with 'pot' belly pig 'metal' through those years?

'Yes, I'd like my bike pork sized with the hungry hog comfort seat, the super charged pin striping and the high performance, super lock up brakes, thank you! 😳

Beemer

41 minutes ago, Beemer said:

If people are using the same brake fluid for all years and models and prolonging their maintenance the same way why is this only happening to bikes made 2008 -2011? Were the brakes made with 'pot' belly pig 'metal' through those years?

Its common knowledge in the Oil Bidness that any HD oil is made up of merkat poop

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

21 minutes ago, r1limited said:

Its common knowledge in the Oil Bidness that any HD oil is made up of merkat poop

You heard that joke on Nat Geo, didn't you?

Beemer

So is this going to be a safety recall every 2 years to get the brake fluid changed? If that is the problem what else can they do? They claim that it's lack of maintenance by the owners, so how can they force an owner to adhere to a maintenance schedule? Are HD's running Dot4 or Dot5 brake fluid? I have never seen brake fluid go bad in 2 years, but I do change it out every 4 to 5 years on my vehicles to be safe.. Whilst I wouldn't want my brakes to suddenly fail, I really don't see that Harley can do much to force owners to flush the brake system every 2 years!!

• Premium Member
35 minutes ago, Thrasherg said:

So is this going to be a safety recall every 2 years to get the brake fluid changed? If that is the problem what else can they do? They claim that it's lack of maintenance by the owners, so how can they force an owner to adhere to a maintenance schedule? Are HD's running Dot4 or Dot5 brake fluid? I have never seen brake fluid go bad in 2 years, but I do change it out every 4 to 5 years on my vehicles to be safe.. Whilst I wouldn't want my brakes to suddenly fail, I really don't see that Harley can do much to force owners to flush the brake system every 2 years!!

I read somewhere that it was due to the type of fluid they originally used that causes the issue long term. Looks like they're just switching out the fluid for another type that won't cause the issue.

1 hour ago, Beemer said:

You heard that joke on Nat Geo, didn't you?

Nope, whats nat geo

True story

I was trying to get a local HD shop to pick upthe amsoil line.  In a meeting with the service manager and parts manger the parts guy kept saying this is a HD shop we sell HD stuff.  Finally I looked at him and said
"If HD put a HD stamp opn a turd would you sell it as grease?"

The meeting ended

• Premium Member
20 hours ago, r1limited said:

Nope, whats nat geo

True story

I was trying to get a local HD shop to pick upthe amsoil line.  In a meeting with the service manager and parts manger the parts guy kept saying this is a HD shop we sell HD stuff.  Finally I looked at him and said

The meeting ended

Tommy Boy joke!  Thumbs up!

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

3 minutes ago, blackout said:

Tommy Boy joke!  Thumbs up!

Tommy Boy?

20 hours ago, r1limited said:

Nope, whats nat geo

True story

The meeting ended

You're being facetious. ( 😈 what's facetious?!)

Beemer

5 minutes ago, Beemer said:

You're being facetious. ( 😈 what's facetious?!)

No, I was being a dick, the guy just pisssed me off with this is a hd shop we sell hd stuff, this is a hd shop we sell hd stuff, this is a hd shop we sell hd stuff, this is a hd shop we sell hd stuff, this is a hd shop we sell hd stuff,

Reminded me of

they-took-er-jerbs.jpg

Ha! I know a dick when I see one, I was referring to, "Nope, whats nat geo" aaaand "Tommy Boy?" It appeared you were being facetious about National Geographic and Tommy Boy.

Beemer

1 hour ago, Beemer said:

Ha! I know a dick when I see one, I was referring to, "Nope, whats nat geo" aaaand "Tommy Boy?" It appeared you were being facetious about National Geographic and Tommy Boy.

👉😖👈

I do not Nat Geo and I am no Tommy Boy

• Premium Member

I kind of feel a bit of pain for Harley on this one.... You can't "make" people to do motorcycle maintenance. Lawyers and insurance companies get involved, and suddenly Harley is a death trap that's trying to kill you? I've been through the Harley-Davidson museum in Milwaukee, WI (several times). I used to think that Harley was a poorly engineered, over-priced, sub-standard motorcycle. After going on the museum tour, and learning more about the product, it's actually got quite a bit of of technology in it.  It's a little known fact, but even to this day, ALL of the fuel-injection systems, on EVERY Harley-Davidson, is 100% designed by Honda motor company. Harley didn't know anything about fuel-injection, but had the foresight to hire someone who did (Honda motor company). Harley owners seem to hate when I mention this. Most of the time, I get the look of "stop confusing me with facts, my mind is already made up!!!" I've rented several Harleys, and never thought I would like one, yet every time I do- I like it!

""W.O.T. until you see god, then brake"

• Global Moderator

While I agree that people should do the recommend maintenance I know a lot of guys with brake fluid that is much more than two years old and their brakes still work.  Something is wrong with the HD system if old fluid can render it inoperable.  

It's not an issue of old fluid, it's an issue that the particular fluid the factory installed int he affected years was poor fluid. The brake components are fine, it's just the fluid was junk and caused problems. They probably tried to pinch pennies and use a vendor selling a less expensive fluid, now it's biting them on the ass. 

Geez, the Harley hate is strong on this forum. At least it's not as bad as the bs BMW owners are currently dealing with. Rear shock mounting bolts snapping and crimped together fork tubes coming apart and allowing the front ends to disassemble while riding. Speaking of brake failures, BMW is the king of those. BMW can only wish to as reliable as HD. Especially when it comes to electronics.

Archived