The MT-07 Forum

MotoGP Electric Class for 2019

bornagainbiker

I have been reading about this for awhile, what sucks is they use one vender instead of many, this IMO is inclusive as if they wish to have competition and advances in tech, then open it to all the E bike OEMs

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

• Premium Member
bornagainbiker
12 minutes ago, r1limited said:

I have been reading about this for awhile, what sucks is they use one vender instead of many, this IMO is inclusive as if they wish to have competition and advances in tech, then open it to all the E bike OEMs

Hopefully, in the future, it will open up to include all manufacturers.  :)

Give Respect To Get Respect   https://jeff-galbraith.pixels.com/

• Premium Member

Not interested in coal powered bikes.....  The whole electric movement is misguided....

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

R1,

I am thinking the same way as you about the one manufacturer idea. Electric bikes are in their infancy and racing accelerates development hugely  when things are at this level. Almost all base mechs on ICE's were developed for racing and trickled down .

Blackout,

Electric bikes shortcomings for the road , are NOT a problem for racing. I said years ago that the limited range for them is irrevelant on a track. You can replace a power pack after each race. The limited ( usually) distance is within the range of electrics. Racing is racing. Doesn't matter what the power source. I would LOVE to race an electric and be involved in the devopment.

What made me think of it was one of our racers used a total loss ignition system and changed the battery after each race. I thought " if you can change the power source for an ICE, you can change the power source for the whole bike.

Less noise ( the biggest headache our track had was the encroaching suburb whingeing and we had strictly controlled noise emmisions). Less dangerous in the pits ( no inflammable volatiles). Don't have to walk around at MotoGP races with earplugs in all day.

While I think in a country like Australia that pure electric powered vehicles will never be practical, a better designed hybrid system ( ice/electric with the ICE powering the electric engine) wll probably be the answer as you can make the ICE EXTREMELY efficient if it runs a one or two fixed rpm. This would work for motorcycles as well. The range from you fuel would be greater for more torque ( HP is not the important factor for distance).

Or fuel cells.

And it doesn't mean the total end of ICE's for racing. People still race horses and sailboats ( even slow monohulls).

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

• Premium Member

These electric motorcycles and electric dirt bikes are a good thing, let's ppl build more tracks closer to urban areas rather than building a track out in the "sticks" ...even would let the track owners host late night races or maybe a 24hr race than wouldn't even bother a grumpy ole man taking a nap... maybe one day e-bikes will get to compete against internal combustion...

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, norcal616 said:

These electric motorcycles and electric dirt bikes are a good thing, let's ppl build more tracks closer to urban areas rather than building a track out in the "sticks" ...even would let the track owners host late night races or maybe a 24hr race than wouldn't even bother a grumpy ole man taking a nap... maybe one day e-bikes will get to compete against internal combustion...

Very true!

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

3 hours ago, bornagainbiker said:

Hopefully, in the future, it will open up to include all manufacturers.  :)

But its DORNA I hold not hope

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

Doesn't DORNA stand for "abandon all hope those who venture here" in a little known  language of Spain?

7 hours ago, chademinent said:

Its cool, but half the fun of going to a race is hearing/feeling the bikes (or whatever is racing) and smelling the high octane racing fuel they use.  Nothing gets your blood pumping like a high revving hi horsepower motor.  Am I right? 

Can you imagine a drag strip or a tractor pull with no noise and no smell?  The thunder that vibrates your whole body?  No blown engine pieces flying all over the place?.  It's  like chips without salsa.  Eggs without bacon.  A fart (your own fart) with no noise or smell.

Yeah, the competition is there and it will advance e-bikes by leaps and bounds and thats great, but where's the fun?  Gonna need a whole bunch of cards in their spokes.

Maybe I'm just too much of a redneck...

• Premium Member
bornagainbiker

I love the howl of a high revving litre engine, but I think the future is electric--fossil fuel is a finite resource, that's nearing its end.

Give Respect To Get Respect   https://jeff-galbraith.pixels.com/

52 minutes ago, bornagainbiker said:

I love the howl of a high revving litre engine, but I think the future is electric--fossil fuel is a finite resource, that's nearing its end.

No way watch Soilient green man ;)

The biggest issue for me on electric as @gregjet stated the tech for batteries is not there and the cost is prohibited for me.  I wont spend 10k on a bike I can ride for 20 - 40 minutes then charge for 4 - 6 hours.  Ya the tech is cool, but it is simply not advanced enough for me.  Firstadopters what we call those who like t play in alpha and beta software hardware are the ones willing to shell out that cash and as well the amazonites and micromorons who have stupid money for inventing shity stuff

I raced sailing catamarans for a few years. I can tell you, no loud noise, no chemical smells, but the feel of tons of thrust (literally) and close racing is pretty incredible. Oh and just as expensive as racing bikes.

It's not being the first adopters. It's being the first developer that finds the answer to cheaper, faster longer. That can make you very wealthy and have a heap of fun on the way.

21 hours ago, r1limited said:

Are you saying we could possibly see an X Game race of electric hill climb bikes sponsored by ENERGIZER?!! Bunny against Bunny?

Beemer

I would go to watch an all electric bike race for the experience but I seriously doubt it will be as thrilling an experience with the sound removed. The race is about pleasing the fans more than anything.

Beemer

Beemer. Funny you should say that.

We subscribe to the MotoGP online cast and often the sound is screwed up ( gotta love Australias backward net) so we mute it. I can tell you it is just as good without the sound ( when it's good). Moto3 is so frantic in some ways the sound just gets in the way.

4 hours ago, Beemer said:

I would go to watch an all electric bike race for the experience but I seriously doubt it will be as thrilling an experience with the sound removed. The race is about pleasing the fans more than anything.

No Sound?  There is sound its like

...........................................................................................................WOSH(1st)....................................................................WOSH(2nd)..WOSH(3rd)..WOSH(4th).............................................HEAVY BREATH of the rest pushing the bike cus its out of electrodes

An aquaintence of mine Amber Phillips test riding this bike view views is Hollister Hills, and of Course SF.  Amber is one fast gal

WOW , electric bikes sound like DRUMS!!!!! God I hate music in bike videos...

Is Amber Phillips the US woman who got a motoGP test ride?

On 2/7/2018 at 9:43 AM, blackout said:

Not interested in coal powered bikes.....  The whole electric movement is misguided....

Did you watch the video at all? The league is installing solar banks to charge the bikes and leaving them there.

• Premium Member
4 hours ago, topazsparrow said:

Did you watch the video at all? The league is installing solar banks to charge the bikes and leaving them there.

Sorry, I did not.  My bad.

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

firstyammerha

I enjoy watching the Formula E car races from time to time. The whirring noise of the electric motors won't take the place of a tapped out four cylinder though. In case you didn't know,because of the battery capacities,the cars break the race in two segments and the drivers switch cars. With wireless phone and car battery charging becoming more common maybe someone some day will figure out a way to adapt this technology to the track. 

On 2/8/2018 at 2:40 PM, gregjet said:

Beemer. Funny you should say that.

We subscribe to the MotoGP online cast and often the sound is screwed up ( gotta love Australias backward net) so we mute it. I can tell you it is just as good without the sound ( when it's good). Moto3 is so frantic in some ways the sound just gets in the way.

I get what you're saying about your experience with the tele but I'm finding it hard to believe that most race fans that are used to and want to hear race engines because they stimulate the senses are going to be AS stimulated with a live, silent, electric motorcycle race that stimulates the senses only half as much.

r1limited

I'm talking about the sound of your typical combustion engine at a race and it isn't wosh, wosh.

Beemer

Archived