The MT-07 Forum

Might be losing my mind...Z125/Grom

RSTX

HARRY BALZAK
On 2/7/2018 at 9:20 AM, shinyribs said:

If it's what you want and you'll have fun, without a doubt, get one! If you decide later you don't like it, sell it. Not a big deal!

There's so many bikes and so few years to live. Ride everything you can, when you can. I say go for it.

We may have been separated at birth. I ve said the same thing so many times I can't even count them. I'm not meaning to condemn anyone or be a dick, but if you can't understand the appeal of these bikes you're dead inside, they are a flat out hoot. Makes me feel 12 years old again riding my mini bike around terrorizing the neighborhood. Bike paths become race tracks, throw on leathers throw down cones and so does an empty parking lot. I've been so many crazy places on my z125 Including a motocross track it just cracks me up. I spent so much time on it last year that I sold my motard (husky 501). Although I also race mini motos CRF100 in a local league. Nothing has made me a better rider than going back to small bikes and spending time on a track. I say buy one, ride the piss out of it, and embrace the crazy. You'll be more sane because of it.

I used to ride my little Yamaha DT100 in town back in the day and I couldn't have had a funner bike but I have to say that it wouldn't have been as fun if I were outside of town where the speed limits were 55 mph. and above with long sweeping turns and mostly straight roads. In town I would do fun things at low speed. I had a friend that had a DT100 like mine but a year later model. We would line up in a gravel parking lot behind Hobart Arena in Troy, Oh. and have drag races for short distances, rear end moving left to right throwing gravel and dirt everywhere, making a racket. We didn't go fast but it was still fun. There were some dirt trails here and there that we could always get on if we felt like it and raise hell off-road also. I think the smaller sized bikes are great for inner city fun where the speed limits are 40 and under but if you've graduated from low speed fun and and require a bigger, fun bike then a supermoto would be the bike of choice.

Beemer

HARRY BALZAK

Agreed I wouldn't want my Z125 to be my only bike, but the problem with big bike fun is it requires big bike attention. I love my big bikes and the fun and thrill they provide, but they come with big bike consequences so even though it's a stress reliever to ride it still requires full mental engagement, you better be mentally engaged and on point when you play. However, with the Z it's just fun without that same level of mental engagement. I can just relax and cut loose and like I said just kind of be a kid again. I fall off of it all the time, usually in the grass, but you just laugh and get back on. That's not to say on the road around other cars you don't have to be aware or that there isn't consequences, but just like when you were a kid you don't play in traffic. We ride to secluded areas and then play or just go find an empty ball diamond and play mini bike baseball. Sliding into home has never been so much fun.

I owned a Grom as a second bike. I enjoyed it for about 2 years and sold it off. Ultimately, I made the decision based on its HP. Just my $.02, in a 35MPH or lower, the Grom was is in its prime. At 45MPH zones+, hills become a problem and I am only 160 pounds. Mine bogged down some to pull the hills. They top out at just above 60MPH (took a while to get there) on the flat, and that was just a bit under powered for my taste, especially in busy traffic. It just did not have anything left for breakaway situations. I rode the Grom a bunch and had many smiles. At times I miss it. If it had just a little more umph, I would buy another. I kept hoping the manufacturers would follow the quarter liter bikes and put larger engines in them.

HARRY BALZAK

I've got a pipe intake and fuel controller on mine and 0-50 is plenty peppy after that it's pretty flat up to 67 where it tops out. I'm 215lbs though the guys I ride with have similar setups but are much lighter and they pull away from me no problem. I would agree if it was 15hp and a tad more torque to go along with it, it would be that much better. I'm waiting for Yamaha to cash in on the small bike resurgence and if they are reading this take note give it a touch more hp for us full figured gals.

Get it...why not? i will ride my daughters TTR125 around the back yard sometimes just to get my head right but it's a little big for going under and around some of the stuff in the yard, a Grom would be just right.

I think any bike that takes your mind off of every day issues and puts you in a happy place is a good thing. We used to race Honda mini's around the shop, move stuff out of the way, set up two 5 gallon cans for pylons, pour a little solvent in the corners so we could break them loose an 'race on'...what fun. Little bikes are big fun in little places.

• 2 months later...
Bigturbomax
On 3/24/2018 at 5:37 PM, mick97702 said:

Any way to get the MT-125 state side? A mini FZ07 would be awesome!

2018-yamaha-mt-125-eu-night-fluo-studio-002.jpg

I would love an mt125 or mt03 if they ever brought em here

Archived