The MT-07 Forum

Might be losing my mind...Z125/Grom

RSTX

So I keep looking at the little Z125/Grom. Those things look like sooooo much fun. I love the FZ and would keep it. The little bikes just catch my eye. Am I crazy? 

6 minutes ago, RSTX said:

So I keep looking at the little Z125/Grom. Those things look like sooooo much fun. I love the FZ and would keep it. The little bikes just catch my eye. Am I crazy? 

Groms are really popular, I just don't understand why. I know a guy who has dumped $3000 of extras into one and the result is a whopping op speed of 65 mph. 

Put that money into a good dirtbike and have a ton more fun. 

• Premium Member
25 minutes ago, RSTX said:

Yes. :D

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

29 minutes ago, Cruizin said:

Groms are really popular, I just don't understand why. I know a guy who has dumped $3000 of extras into one and the result is a whopping op speed of 65 mph. 

Put that money into a good dirtbike and have a ton more fun. 

I don't have a place to ride a dirt bike. No pickup or trailer to haul one. I'm not wanting high speed. They look like something I could rip around town on. 

Yeah, I probably delusional.

• Premium Member

just wait till you swap out that weak 125cc for a 190cc motor 😏 ...which should be the 1st mod 

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

There were 2 groms in the group I rode with this weekend, they weren't the fastest out there but the riders were having a blast the whole time. 

I would not want one as my only bike, but they look like a ton of fun to mess around with. I'll have to see if I can mooch a ride on one at some point, for some testing of that theory. 😂

• Global Moderator

I know there is some Grom racing around the country.  It seems like a cheap and fun way to race.  They do look like fun.  

Before you get one, go try a Supermoto. If you ride in the city, they are awesome. Dirtbike with street wheels. All that suspension travel allows you to jump curbs, jump off curbs into the street, you can ride anywhere all on street tires. 

Why not a 235cc Finbro engine while you're at it :) 

I can see myself owning one for inner city riding. I could also see myself tour on one - provided the people I rode with has similarly poor performing machines. That could be fun, as long as you go slow and enjoy the scenery instead of being upset for the lack of go. But I'd rather have a TW225 than a Grom. Or an XT200. Or a Suzuki DR200. Not sure how they compare price wise, though, but they should provide more slow fun.

A quick perusal on CL shows 5 Z125's and a couple of Groms within 100 miles of me. The Grom seems to demand a higher price. Maybe familiarity? One Z is sitting at $2500 with 500 miles on it.

I'm also thinking that my son could learn to ride on this and maybe (doubtful, but maybe) my wife might want to try it because of the cute factor. I can rationalize just about anything I want.😁

9 hours ago, RSTX said:

I don't have a place to ride a dirt bike. No pickup or trailer to haul one. I'm not wanting high speed. They look like something I could rip around town on. 

Yeah, I probably delusional.

You have to be in a group of squids riding stupidly to have fun on them. 😉

The cake is a lie!

Beemer

faffi

I could see you (or myself) on one of these just cruising the country side, putting along leisurely and enjoying the scenery.

5a7b04be563ce_1970Yamaha125.thumb.jpg.24329bbe906b246cb4b075bdb9b33e7e.jpg

Beemer

• Premium Member
bornagainbiker
15 minutes ago, Beemer said:

faffi

I could see you (or myself) on one of these just cruising the country side, putting along leisurely and enjoying the scenery.

5a7b04be563ce_1970Yamaha125.thumb.jpg.24329bbe906b246cb4b075bdb9b33e7e.jpg

Sweet little ride. 8)

Give Respect To Get Respect   https://jeff-galbraith.pixels.com/

11 hours ago, RSTX said:

If it's what you want and you'll have fun, without a doubt, get one! If you decide later you don't like it, sell it. Not a big deal!

There's so many bikes and so few years to live. Ride everything you can, when you can. I say go for it.

On 06/02/2018 at 11:07 PM, Cruizin said:

Before you get one, go try a Supermoto. If you ride in the city, they are awesome. Dirtbike with street wheels. All that suspension travel allows you to jump curbs, jump off curbs into the street, you can ride anywhere all on street tires. 

Supermotos are great and you can find em pretty reasonable on Craigslist and such.  Keep a set of dirt rims and knobbies for dirt days.

I've jumped curbs on the FZ 07.  Only scraped my belly pan once.  My wife won't try it, says I'm crazy.  Silly girl... 🙂

• Premium Member

The GROM is probably my next bike.... It's the only bike that catches my eye at the dealership anymore. I did the same thing with the DRZ400SM. I walked by them for several years thinking "that looks fun, but I don't know what I would do with it"? Then I bought one, and had soooo much fun!!! I got into it deep, and ended up getting bit by the "SM bug". I eventually sold it to support my new SM habit- a CRF450R (converted to SM) & Husqvarna 450SM, both track ready. I got tired of the constant upkeep on the SM's, and bought a new FZ-07 and set it up for 80/20 track/street use- I love it. I also have a Honda VTX1800F (V-twin cruiser) that is great for longer street rides. I still (for reasons I can't begin to explain) I am drawn to the GROM? My wife also rides both street & track, and now she's on board with getting a GROM. We even agree on a color (Red).... I think Honda took a bit of a risk with the GROM..... Now, EVERYONE that I know that has one- absolutely LOVES it!!! I still don't really understand the extensive mods that everyone does? I've got a totally investment of about $10,000-$11,000 into my FZ-07. It goes like hell on the track!!! I just don't understand "moding" a 125cc bike? To each their own though, not judging anyone. I see a bone stock GROM in my future, and a smile on my face in the near future 😜-

""W.O.T. until you see god, then brake"

I wouldn't want to own a Grom, but riding minibikes and pitbikes and the like is a lot of fun (it can turn you into a giggling 7 year old).

I have a couple of friends that have Groms and they have fun hooning around like 3rd graders on em.  They both  ride full size street and dirt bikes, but they also love their Groms.

If you want one and can afford it, get it and have fun.  Like @shinyribs said, you can always sell it if you don't like it.

For riding it on the open road with 45mph-plus speed limits?

No, thank you.

For riding it in tighter quarters where the 4-stroke, single-cylinder, air-cooled, 125cc, 2-valve, overhead cam engine won't feel so weak and out of it's element?

Sure.

Archived