The MT-07 Forum

Mt07 suspension linkage bolt it.

Jacks bike

• Premium Member

?????? what suspension bolt?   triple tree bolts? rear shock mount bolts?  internal fork stake nut???

psst! this is the ECU section 😀, a mod will move it...

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

• Global Moderator
18 minutes ago, norcal616 said:

?????? what suspension bolt?   triple tree bolts? rear shock mount bolts?  internal fork stake nut???

psst! this is the ECU section 😀, a mod will move it...

Yep...I moved it.  Thanks. 

3 hours ago, Jacks bike said:

Tried to hit it. Heated it drilled it. It will not come out!! Three days and still no joy any advice am I missing something? 

Hint take the nut off

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

I was stunned to learn that virtually every bolt I have removed have had tons of corrosion. This was with the bike 2 years old, only ridding in the dry and washed frequently. I'd expect it in a 20 year old neglected bike, but not on something virtually new. In fact, the 25 year old Honda 400 I have show far less corrosion on the bolt shafts, and it has spent 15 years being ridden every day in all sorts of weather near the sea, including on salted winter roads.

5 hours ago, faffi said:

stunned to learn that virtually every bolt I have removed have had tons of corrosion

pics or it didn't happen. :) washing frequently is not doing you any favors - just helping the salt to migrate.

i guess it's time to dip all bolts in some Vaseline. I don't doubt that companies are cheaping out and the plating is atomic thin instead of properly built up. Given the increasing rate of "WTF is wrong with you" engineering coming out of everywhere, but especially Asia I wouldn't be surprised the bolts came from the lowest Chinese bidder.

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

You expect me to pull them all and remove the grease to show you what's underneath 😬😄

Bike wasn't mine for the first two years, it's been washed once since I got it. And it's never seen salt, either, before or after I got it. But again, it's unusual to find corrosion of this magnitude on any bike, and especially on an almost new one with just 6500km on the dial. But then again, perhaps the PO washed it with something that got the corrosion going...

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, faffi said:

You expect me to pull them all and remove the grease to show you what's underneath 1f62c.png1f604.png

Bike wasn't mine for the first two years, it's been washed once since I got it. And it's never seen salt, either, before or after I got it. But again, it's unusual to find corrosion of this magnitude on any bike, and especially on an almost new one with just 6500km on the dial. But then again, perhaps the PO washed it with something that got the corrosion going...

Most likely the bike was stored in a humid environment like a damp garage.  And maybe worse, a cover over the bike all winter trapping the dampness.  

Pretty sure Yamaha gets their bolts from the same place as other manufacturers.  Some make it sound like Yamaha purposely puts cheap bolts on the FZ07.  Not likely.

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

balckout,

I am not sure I can agree with you on the bolts source for the 07. Not only have I ( and apparently others on this forum) found the tensions on the bolts to be problematic ( overtightened and not tightened enough), but I have found the bolt quality to be very poor. Certainly NOT up to normal japanese standards. Even the lengths are not consistant. It makes me consider that the bikes may be assembled in China or Indonesia ( both Honda and Yamaha have manufacture and assembly in Indonesia)

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

• Premium Member
37 minutes ago, gregjet said:

balckout,

I am not sure I can agree with you on the bolts source for the 07. Not only have I ( and apparently others on this forum) found the tensions on the bolts to be problematic ( overtightened and not tightened enough), but I have found the bolt quality to be very poor. Certainly NOT up to normal japanese standards. Even the lengths are not consistant. It makes me consider that the bikes may be assembled in China or Indonesia ( both Honda and Yamaha have manufacture and assembly in Indonesia)

While Yamaha may have plants outside of Japan, Yamaha is still operating those plants.  It is not like they are subbing out the assembly to another company.  I have had zero issues with my fasteners and I have removed quite a few.  They key is to use proper tools.  A out of spec allen wrench will fudge up a fastener quickly.  

I hope I don't jinx myself.  lol

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

It was just a theory and the bolt quality is definitely an issue. But if they ARE assembled in Japan why are the torques all over the place? I am not saying they are assembled there, but the first thing I do with a new bike is check the bolts are at or near spec. Mine was all over the place and one of the engine bolts was stripped in the engine ( now helicoiled). Guess it is from my racing days but I do it automatically.

Many others on this forum have complained of overtight bolts.

Yamaha , like Honda , that I have had were always incredibly consistantly close to spec until this bike.  Even the little YZF-R125 that I raced was pretty good.

• Premium Member
23 minutes ago, gregjet said:

It was just a theory and the bolt quality is definitely an issue. But if they ARE assembled in Japan why are the torques all over the place? I am not saying they are assembled there, but the first thing I do with a new bike is check the bolts are at or near spec. Mine was all over the place and one of the engine bolts was stripped in the engine ( now helicoiled). Guess it is from my racing days but I do it automatically.

Many others on this forum have complained of overtight bolts.

Yamaha , like Honda , that I have had were always incredibly consistantly close to spec until this bike.  Even the little YZF-R125 that I raced was pretty good.

Well I guess Yamaha is slacking on their quality control then.  But, I do not think Yamaha is purposely slacking on their "economy" bikes.

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

One time when my nuts was froze I .... Uh never mind

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

I have a very early 07. The model, being new, may have had production teething problems. It would be interesting to see if the bolt problems are still ongoing in the later built ones. BTW it is a particular model made for Australia with idfferent smaller and oem restricted( originally). It may also be confined to my model, though I seem to recall otherwise.

I just remembered that the bottom rear shockie bolt was galled as well for part of the thread originally and I had to replace that as well.

The night I got my bike home from the dealership I stripped it down and greased every bolt ( EVERY bolt), and packed every electrical connector with grease. I prefer silicon grease over petroleum based grease on bolts as water and soap doesn't affect it, and eventually degrade it. 

But speaking of teething problems, when I asked a guy in another forum about his 07 (daily commuter) he complained about his stanchions pitting inside the first year. Garage kept bike, too. 

Well, I do have to agree to rusty bolts and some parts are just cheap steel, pressed into shape.... What to expect from a 10k bike ? -and that's Australian :) 10k

We have 4 bikes atm, 3 Ducs and the MT, and trust me, I don't care if a bolt is a bit rusty , its an easy fix. The Important bits are Yamaha style, top engineering and nothing to worry about.

--The Italian diva's are a different story of quality control....... nice looking and awesome machines, but .........

• 4 months later...
The good show
On 2/6/2018 at 8:49 PM, Jacks bike said:

Tried to hit it. Heated it drilled it. It will not come out!! Three days and still no joy any advice am I missing something? 

I had similar problems when removing my rear shock. In the end, I doused it in RP-90 repeatedly over a couple of days and used a drift and hammer to punch it out. Then I did a little victory dance because that s.o.b was keeping me up at night...

Archived