The MT-07 Forum

2WDW Reflash plus Active Tune

djfz07

I have a 2WDW reflash (Akra Ti, snorkel removed) on my bike and was thinking about adding the Active Tune kit https://ftecu.com/shop/yamaha-active-tune-kit/

Anybody else running this setup?  The bike runs great as is with the tune but I'm curious if the Active Tune will help take it a step further and correct for my altitude, weather, future mods, etc.  I'm in NJ and I'm sure the atmospheric conditions were a little different all the way over in WA were these flashes were dyno'd lol.  I also plan to take long trips at all different altitudes as well.

So hopefully someone can chime in and offer their experiences or insight.  Thanks!

• Premium Member

I'd suggest talking to 2WDW before you do that. They can most likely reflash to correct anything you may be seeing as needing fixed.

• Like 1

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

Yeah my first thought was to email them which I will do.  Just seeing if anybody had experience with a similar setup.

There's nothing that I can detect wrong with the tune as it is.  Feels strong and smooth, no popping, etc.  I just wonder if there's more to be had with the Active Tune and letting it adjust for specific conditions.

My Active tune is my right wrist

• Haha 1

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

5 hours ago, djfz07 said:

I have a 2WDW reflash (Akra Ti, snorkel removed) on my bike and was thinking about adding the Active Tune kit https://ftecu.com/shop/yamaha-active-tune-kit/

Anybody else running this setup?  The bike runs great as is with the tune but I'm curious if the Active Tune will help take it a step further and correct for my altitude, weather, future mods, etc.  I'm in NJ and I'm sure the atmospheric conditions were a little different all the way over in WA were these flashes were dyno'd lol.  I also plan to take long trips at all different altitudes as well.

So hopefully someone can chime in and offer their experiences or insight.  Thanks!

The guy at FTECU who would usually set that up for you quit and went to work for Nels at @2wheeldynoworks  Seriously. 

There is a reason why Nels is the tuner on this and all my forums. @2wheeldynoworks is THE BEST! 

• Like 3

Ok, received an email back.  Here it is:

Thank you for reaching out to us! I was personally apart of the FTECU active-tune development as a prior employee there for the past 5 years. The active-tune kit is the next level for your bike after the custom ECU flash from 2WDW. 

This kit is designed to be used with a very well developed base map/tune. The custom developments made here at 2WDW are as good as you can get without running this piece of hardware on top of the custom mapping 2WDW provides. It is like having Nels (the lead developer of the custom maps) riding along with you and his laptop tuning your bike live. 

Changes in atmospheric and barometric pressures are measured as learned values are trimmed to meet the target air-to-fuel ratios programmed with the active tune software. That being said, the 2WDW developments combined with multiple track record setting race seasons, dyno tuning sessions and around town riding conditions are world class. 

We have made amazing developments with the active-tune hardware. Our custom air-to-fuel targets paired with our custom ignition and throttle mapping will take your bike from fantastic to unbelievable! 

I wouldn't use the word "downside" when referring to the active-tune kit. If you are running race fuels, you will need to have spare wide-band sensors as they can be overworked using this fuel type.

Let me know if you would like to get an active-tune kit for your bike. We can get you a great deal on the kit. Don't forget it is no additional charge for the re-flash service for any changes you want made to your ECU. The only cost you would be responsible for is return shipping of your ECU. 

Please let me know if you have any question, I am happy to help!

Kirk D.

2WDW - 425-269-5332

Seems like it would be a nice addition to anyone looking to take their reflash a step further 👍

• Like 3

Just got off the phone with Kirk.  The Active Tune replaces the stock o2 sensor with a wideband Bosch sensor.  There are 2 routes you could go. 

1) Buy the bike-side datalink harness and start from a new base file, custom dyno tuned file, or shared file (power commander?).  This will allow you to hook up your laptop and read the raw data and suggested changes that the o2 reads.  You can then choose to apply the changes.  However, it's up to you or a knowledgeable tuner to set the best target A/F ratios.

2) Send in your ECU. 2WDW will reflash appropriately for your current mods, activate the Active Tune module in the ECU, and set their target A/F ratios that they have found to work the best.  This would be the plug-and-play option.  The Active Tune reads and applies the changes on the fly with no input needed by the rider.  This will be the route that I go when the time comes. 

As Cruizin mentioned above, 2WDW offers a nice discount on the Active Tune kit as well.

I'm staying in touch with 2WDW if any more questions come up that I can think of. 

Edited by djfz07
  • Like 1

• 8 months later...

for give my ignorance but I haven't raced professionally since the days when power commander was king and self tuning wasn't a thing. 

If I were to purchase the active tuner from 2WDW is it still needed for me to send in my ecu to have them flash it?  Isn't part of ordering that kit to have the ability to flash your own ecu with new base map files whenever you want.  Does 2WDW have a public base map database like dynojet for the different mods, or is it are under lock and key?

I can see buying a self tuning kit with some support files included for $400 or taking my bike and having it dyno'd for $300 but I can't see needing to pay for both.  Am I just understanding this wrong.

On 2/2/2018 at 10:18 AM, Cruizin said:

The guy at FTECU who would usually set that up for you quit and went to work for Nels at @2wheeldynoworks  Seriously. 

There is a reason why Nels is the tuner on this and all my forums. @2wheeldynoworks is THE BEST! 

I was curious if 2wdw runs this site or has a stake in it. I see all kinds of forum entries for them. Just wondering.

3 hours ago, MRH said:

I was curious if 2wdw runs this site or has a stake in it. I see all kinds of forum entries for them. Just wondering.

They're a registered vendor and have had pretty active support in the community since the bike came out. They don't own or are not otherwise affiliated with this site beyond that though.

People just really like them.

I use FTecu + activetune personally.

8 hours ago, MRH said:

Nels Stake in it is to further your riding experiance with 100% quality and customer care.  He makes a living off of what he loves, stake or not, @2wheeldynoworks is in it for the love of the game

"I sure hope that gets me a discount ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

2wheeldynoworks
9 hours ago, MRH said:

Hah, we wish! We appreciate all of the support and kind words from all of you guys. We just want to keep the lights on so we can continue to provide the best possible tuning and ECU flashing that we can, and all of that is only possible because of amazing forums and communities like this one!

• Like 4

11 hours ago, MRH said:

Its because they have tuned probably over a thousand of our members ecu's. It is also because they are an honest tuner/dyno shop in a sea of dishonest dynoshops. There are a ton of dynoshops who put up false hp dyno charts online, you can make a dyno reading show whatever you want to.

There are also a bunch of Dyno shops who don't do the daily adjustments and calibrations that are required to produce accurate results and tuning.  Many shops don't even realize this is needed. 

We talk a lot about Nels at @2wheeldynoworks because I and the staff have done our research and know that he is an honest guy on the cusp of the latest technology. And  thousands of raceteams, famous racers, track day riders and forum members agree. 

As an actual website owner (unlike a facebook group kid) I feel compelled to only work with the very best shops in the industry because thousands of you read what we post and recommend.  

The vendors on this forum are among the best in the industry and yes, I have removed some who proved to be otherwise.  

Also, myself and 2wdw actually found the test bike for FTECU to make the very first tune fz-07 and mt-10 flash file.    All that base tune from FTECU does is open up the files in the factory tune so that they can be adjusted. 

Then tuners like Nels are then able to run their tests and create their power tunes for those bikes, this is where the extra HP, better fueling, and performance comes from. 

In my experience, interviews with countless bike owners, talks with FTECU themselves about 2wdw and forum member reviews, the very best tuning experience money can buy is to get an matching exhaust and tune from @2wheeldynoworks .  Call them and you will be shocked at their unlisted exhaust prices when bought with a tune.  I mean lower than any retailer online, by far. 

• Like 5

• Premium Member
On 11/4/2018 at 5:38 PM, RojoRacing said:

for give my ignorance but I haven't raced professionally since the days when power commander was king and self tuning wasn't a thing. 

If I were to purchase the active tuner from 2WDW is it still needed for me to send in my ecu to have them flash it?  Isn't part of ordering that kit to have the ability to flash your own ecu with new base map files whenever you want.  Does 2WDW have a public base map database like dynojet for the different mods, or is it are under lock and key?

I can see buying a self tuning kit with some support files included for $400 or taking my bike and having it dyno'd for $300 but I can't see needing to pay for both.  Am I just understanding this wrong.

I am also curious about this

• 9 months later...

So is anyone actually running the activetune? What is the ideal a/f ratio that's being aimed for?

I have a flashtune (using the PCV akra and dna filter tune.) I have an akra ti exhaust, MWR lid and MWR filter all installed but the bike feels lacking. Looking at dropping in the activetune.

Honestly, it feels like the intake changes made it make a lot of noise, drop the mpgs, and give it a laggy feel.

At this point i wish i just got the exhaust and mail in flash from 2wdw and skipped the intake.

Update: It's running great with the intake, exhaust and active tune. Started with the PCV base map. The only issue is low rpm updates.

Edited by RobZilla
Update

• 1 month later...

I sent my ECU off to 2WDW, and told them what I had,... (DNA Filter, Yoshi Exhaust), and they flashed it THE SAME DAY THEY GOT it, and got it BACK in the mail THAT same DAY To me ! !  AmaZinG !

unless I had done this, I would never have believed it would make so much difference in the bike...it runs smoother,

pulls MUCH harder, and now has enough more power that I geared it up one tooth in the front, and dropped one in the back,

and it's a true joy to play with.....

2WDW  ROCKS !

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bugsinteeth said:

I sent my ECU off to 2WDW, and told them what I had,... (DNA Filter, Yoshi Exhaust), and they flashed it THE SAME DAY THEY GOT it, and got it BACK in the mail THAT same DAY To me ! !  AmaZinG !

unless I had done this, I would never have believed it would make so much difference in the bike...it runs smoother,

pulls MUCH harder, and now has enough more power that I geared it up one tooth in the front, and dropped one in the back,

and it's a true joy to play with.....

2WDW  ROCKS !

I have sent mine back 3 times and always the same fast service and my bike is always happy when it gets installed 🙂

• 10 months later...

I’ve come to believe that 2WDW has sponsored everyone in this forum. Lol 

with the flash tune and active tune kit. There should be no need to send it to 2wdw 

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, James Bond said:

I’ve come to believe that 2WDW has sponsored everyone in this forum. Lol 

with the flash tune and active tune kit. There should be no need to send it to 2wdw 

Let us know how that works out for you. ✌️

• Like 1

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

From what everyone says here and from my own emails with 2WDW, I will be going to them for a tune when the time comes. 

I had been wondering about adding the self tune kit to the 2wdw base tune as i initially thought if you had the self tune why would you need a base tune. But it sounds like the self tune is the icing on the cake to take a great tune to a mind blowing tune.

5 hours ago, DewMan said:

Let us know how that works out for you. ✌️

Like I've stated in a previous thread, it has worked for me just fine, like any other flash for any other motorcycle/car. 

1 hour ago, seven said:

From what everyone says here and from my own emails with 2WDW, I will be going to them for a tune when the time comes. 

I had been wondering about adding the self tune kit to the 2wdw base tune as i initially thought if you had the self tune why would you need a base tune. But it sounds like the self tune is the icing on the cake to take a great tune to a mind blowing tune.

So just so we don't mix things up. The tune 2WDW flash map they send you is not a base tune, its a full (yet over-the-counter) map, but it will be locked meaning you won't be able to touch or see fuel/timing maps, but you can change secondary maps like RPM limiter etc. 

If you want to self-tune, I honestly wouldn't recommend a FlashECU kit and go with a Woolich Racing kit, for the sole fact that FlashECU does not log anything. So unless you have a dyno, you will be just changing things without truly knowing the effects, which is dangerous. If you want to just change things in minor increments then that will be fine I guess, but you won't need a base map from 2WDW, just use the stock map and go from there.

ActiveTune is nice, but you will need to have someone weld a bung for the sensor, so just an fyi, it's not plug and play unless your exhaust already has one. It also is only really useful if you do a lot of filling gas from different stations. 

Edited by xfonts
  • Like 1