phanomenal07

Single side swing arm conversion

The last time I was on a group ride, the Pannigale only got about half-way thru the day before it needed a trailer to get home. No thanks to Ducwaddies

My Aprilia has a SS Swinger and it sure does make pulling the wheel easier - except the need for big wrenches - the wheel nut is put on with 125 ft-lbs. Ducatis and KTMs are more like 150 ft-lbs. With their shallow wheel nut, you pretty much need an impact wrench. The Aprilia uses an internal, 22mm hex key so there's no worry of slipping off - just need a long (2-3ft) breaker bar and a great big torque wrench.

But the eccentric hub in that swing arm (which is dang thin) is the most complicated assembly known to mankind -  OK, maybe that's a bit of an exaggeration, but it's filled with one expensive part after another. The axle is >$1k, the left side wheel bearing is a non-std. sized >$500 double row bearing and carries the magnets for the speedometer sensor.  Just replacing a disk rotor requires a whole bunch of disassembly.

As cool as they look, spending money and time to make the conversion from simple to complex? no thanks.

Lotta work for a little eye-candy, imho.  Like others suggest, buy a bike with one to begin with... unless you can do the work yourself and just want a project.

On 1/28/2018 at 1:01 PM, phanomenal07 said:

Am I the only one who wants this? Any of y’all seen a fz07 with one? I really want this.

Been thinking....  I just may do this next winter.  I would start from scratch on the swingarm, weld up something custom to fit the FZ07.  I would only need a good donor hub/wheel setup.

1 hour ago, gregjet said:

Blackout. A good opportunity to increase the swingarm length one or 2 inches to see if it gets some more weight on the front end.

John Hopkin runs a 30mm plus on his Panigale R swingarm.  Also runs it "soft" by removing material to make it flex more.  Not sure why they run the longer swingarm, but it sure could be a plus on the FZ07.

Haven't ridden a Panigale but I would be surprised if they are lengthening the swingarm for the same reason as the 07 needs it. Ducati usually get weight distro pretty well right.

300 would prob be an inprovement but I was thinking 50mm. Really need to plug it into the software but that means remeasuring the 07 which is a big job( lost all the data when an OCZ SSD bricked itself).

Once painted, the wheel from a 2014+ VFR800 should match the stock FZ07 front wheel quite nicely.  This might be the year and model to use.   The Ducati parts sure are crazy expensive.  I mean bend over, thank you, I will have another!  The Honda parts are reasonable and off ebay quite inexpensive if you look around.

2014VFRwheel.jpg

really need to know if the FZ's frame is wide enough at the swinger pivot. If it's not, maybe nothing you can do t get it to fit.

That seems like a pretty good price - maybe too good. What's a new back wheel for that bike cost? . 

I've had 2 bikes with SS swingers and they had different ways to fasten the wheel to the spindle.

My Aprilia has a great big nut in the middle that's gotta be properly tight and the wheel is driven by 3 pins that poke into mating holes in the wheel - Ducati and KTM use similar set-ups though both are way harder to unscrew that big nut - an impacter is almost an absolute unless you don't care about scratching the crap out of stuff.

My '96 K11RS had what amounted to 4 lug nuts (or maybe it was 5 - too long ago) that just needed regular tools - no huge breaker bars or impact wrenches or 250 ft-lb torque wrenches. Maybe not as cool looking, but far easier to deal with and much less likely to either come loose on its own or have a shop screw it up for you.

If that VFR swinger fits, I would choose it over any Duc set-up just on the basis of how that back wheel is fastened in place.  

Yep, could get interesting for sure at that price. 

Posted (edited)

Most likely I'll just start from scratch on the swingarm and just use the 2014+ VFR hub, brakes, and wheel.  This way I can design it to be hopefully lighter, the correct length, and work with the stock shock and linkage.  I have some tools available to me, including a manual milling machine and a TIG welder.

I checked and you can get a 520 sprocket that fits the VFR hub in a 43 tooth (stock FZ07) and 45 tooth, so that's cool.  And the VFR wheel is the same exact size as the FZ07 wheel.

Edit:  One of the main drives for this project is the ability to easily change to wets at the track.

Edited by blackout

It would be nice to know the dimension between the wheel center to the sprocket center to compare to the FZ-07 since this is a dimension you aren't going to be able to change much if at all. If both rims are the same width, then the distance between the outer edge of rim to sprocket would be easier to compare. If this dimension is to far off then your rear wheel will not end up in the same place as it is now. The front end of swing arm can be modified by cutting and welding so a little less of an issue if the width isn't correct. This may include frame attach point modifying also. 

I think if I were adding a SSSA, I'd also add a welded on outboard frame support instead of our bolted on foot peg mount plates...just me.

1 hour ago, markstertt said:

It would be nice to know the dimension between the wheel center to the sprocket center to compare to the FZ-07 since this is a dimension you aren't going to be able to change much if at all. If both rims are the same width, then the distance between the outer edge of rim to sprocket would be easier to compare. If this dimension is to far off then your rear wheel will not end up in the same place as it is now. The front end of swing arm can be modified by cutting and welding so a little less of an issue if the width isn't correct. This may include frame attach point modifying also. 

I think if I were adding a SSSA, I'd also add a welded on outboard frame support instead of our bolted on foot peg mount plates...just me.

Funny that you mention that.  I stopped by the Honda dealer today to take a measurement off a new bike, but they were closed.  I'm assuming they have one on the floor as it's a pretty big dealer.  But you are right, a simple measurement from the rim lip to the chain center will let me know.  I suppose the sprocket could be shimmed slightly in the one direction, but I have not looked closely.  A thin wheel spacer would be an option as well, but I always hated those even for cars.