The MT-07 Forum

Corbin Gunfighter Seat First Ride Impressions.

DewMan

• Premium Member

I know I owe you all a full review of the Corbin gunfighter with pictures but I'm holding off until I get some more saddle time. But I thought I'd at least offer my thoughts on it after my first ride of 165 miles (265km) in one day @Beemer and I took earlier this week.

Lets get this out of the way first thing. I'm not ever going to say that the gunfighter is as comfortable as a recliner, but it is far and away more comfortable than the factory vinyl covered plank.

It's sturdy in it's build quality but it does show signs on the underside of it's hand built status. It mounts to the bike with less effort than the factory pillion seat. Removing it takes a small amount of downward pressure on the seat to allow the key to turn and release the seat latch.

Once the seat is mounted it doesn't look out of place on the FZ-07.

After a day trip of 3+ hours of straight saddle time riding in primarily city traffic followed by a lunch break and then another 1+ hour of primarily  80-85mph highway speeds I've already decided I'll never go back to the factory plank.

The factory plank would leave me with two painful pressure points, one on each butt cheek.  The Corbin saddle removed those pressure points completely due to it's dished shape in that area. My weight is spread more across the entire saddle rather than on just two points.

The factory plank never really gave me any way to adjust my seating position to anything that would be less painful due to it's flat shape. The Corbin saddle allowed me more options in my seating position if needed.

The rise on the rear of the pilot's position on the Corbin saddle was very nice in that it gave me an anchor point during spirited acceleration that allowed for a much more relaxed grip on the tank and the bars . The rise never intruded during normal riding.

As expected, the initial plush feel of the seat was backed up by a supportive substructure foam that my 250lb (113kg) frame was unable to bottom out even over potholes.

The real leather of the Corbin saddle is not slippery but didn't hinder movement as needed. But then I never had issue in this area with the vinyl cover factory plank either. The more crowned shape up by the tank would lead me to believe that sliding side to side during knee dragging jaunts wouldn't be an issue but I haven't confirmed this.

I found our lunch stop's padded booth seat less comfortable than the Corbin saddle and was happy to be back on the bike. Nearing the end of the ride I was starting to feel some pressure on the back of my upper thighs but nothing close to being painful.

At the end of the ride we stopped at a gas station to chat about the day and I found my self sitting on my bike since it was still more comfortable than standing while we talked. If it had been the factory plank. I'd have been much happier to stand instead.

To answer a couple of questions I've gotten previously, It's hard to measure the seat height compared to the factory seat due to it's dished shape which makes it taller on the edges than in the center. But even with my 30" inseam I didn't notice that the seat was any taller than the factory plank but maybe felt at most maybe  half inch taller?  I'm still able to easily flat foot both feet at a light while seated in the normal riding position. It does feel wider if your slide up on the tank though. but for me anyway that's a good thing since I always felt that it was too skinny in that section.

OK this was supposed to be a quick first look but I blew that didn't I? I'll do better on my full review. I'll have side by side comparison shots with the factory planks as well as shots of the saddle on the bike and if I can work it out, pictures with a rider as well.

If you're still here I appreciate your time and attention.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

Honestly, as some of you may recall, earlier on I didn't like the looks of this seat on this bike but seeing it in person made me change my mind. Pictures made it look big & bulky, IMO and not made for this type of bike but pictures can be deceiving. I didn't ride his bike but I did sit on the seat myself and I can attest to it being pretty damn nice. It has the right amount of softness on top and the right amount of firmness underneath for support. The distressed leather looks great rolled like it is and adds to the rich, beefy feel. The underside of the seat looks strong as well, it doesn't appear they skimped anywhere. I got the impression that seat will last a good, long time. A very solid seat worth every penny, I suspect.

• Thanks 1

Beemer

• Premium Member

Oops. looks like I posted this thread in the wrong sub. It should have been put in the "garage\FZ-07 seat upgrade" sub. Can I get a MOD to relocated this please?

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

• Global Moderator
1 hour ago, DewMan said:

Oops. looks like I posted this thread in the wrong sub. It should have been put in the "garage\FZ-07 seat upgrade" sub. Can I get a MOD to relocated this please?

Done. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

How old are you? I think that age has a lot to do with comfort. I don't have any problem with the stock seat but I'm a millennial.

• Premium Member
12 hours ago, z_space said:

How old are you? I think that age has a lot to do with comfort. I don't have any problem with the stock seat but I'm a millennial.

I'm old enough that I had to do math before I replied . 😁 I'll be 54 later this year.

And yes, I'm sure age has a lot to do with it. When I was your age seat comfort was never an issue.

How many miles are your rides normally? My usual outings are 150-200 miles in a day. With the Corbin saddle I'm able to do them with minimal discomfort. It starts to get noticeable, but not painful, after a couple hours in the saddle.  I start to feel it in the back of the thighs where the pressure  is much better spread out. 

Where as the factory plank would start to get painful after about an hour and it would hit me right at a single small pressure point on each butt cheek that I couldn't adjust the load from no matter how I sat on it. It felt like sitting on the wooden plank bleachers.

Enjoy your youth while you can... Just remember that you're not as bullet proof as you think you are.  And please don't be a squid so you don't end up being a squish. ✌️

Edited by DewMan
  • Like 1

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

" 1964 was a grand year to be born"

I was eleven and the Beatles came to Brisbane. The family was in Brisbane for the Exhibition and my parents wouldn't let me go to see them. That was the start of the oppression of my life. Not a good year for me.

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

" Where as the factory plank would start to get painful after about an hour and it would hit me right at a single small pressure point on each butt cheek that I couldn't adjust the load from no matter how I sat on it. It felt like sitting on the wooden plank bleachers."

Those are your Ischial Tuberosities and are where you are designed to sit. The trick is getting the right area to spred the pressure. Too soft and you press on nerves and blood supplies , too hard and get the wooden plank described. The problem with the stock seat in a combination of too soft AND wrong curvature for most people. So you end up with your weight pressing to the sides.  The 07 stock seat is so soft you actually bottom out ( small pun) on big bumps, especially when the stock suspension does it at the same time.

Proper bicycle seats are designed to be sat on for hours. They are much firmer than motorcycle seats. but are very carefully designed. Even then , everybody is different enough to need a slightly different curve and firmness.

• Like 1

When I started, sprung saddles were the norm. Can't beat them, imo. I doubt the seats these days get any development time. 

Just do it! 

Just bought used Corbin on the form, nice fit but looks bulky bought it for the rare 2up days. I am fine with the stock minimal seat as ride mostly twisties and track days, with balls of feet on the pegs and minimal weight on the seat. However, my rides are 50 miles or less. 1958 and enjoying my 07.

5ad6bde7853e7_corbinseat.thumb.jpg.596cbe746de4980c4be7f4b2fa08ec34.jpg

• Like 2

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, elmo said:

Just bought used Corbin on the form, nice fit but looks bulky bought it for the rare 2up days. I am fine with the stock minimal seat as ride mostly twisties and track days, with balls of feet on the pegs and minimal weight on the seat. However, my rides are 50 miles or less. 1958 and enjoying my 07.

I got the Gunfighter solo seat so it's a little more slimmed down on the pillion section than yours and only good for short rides for a passenger, but still way better than stock.

IMG_0547_small.thumb.jpg.ff2d96b26bc037fcce31671b5e6e49b9.jpg

IMG_0548_small.thumb.jpg.7a95edacc1b6b1ea361c94f14a9a9629.jpg

Edited by DewMan
  • Like 1

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

• Premium Member
5 hours ago, AlbatrossCafe said:

Pics of your bike with the seat?

I've got some on bike photos on this thread:

and on this post there's another photo.

I still have bunch of comparison photos I need to post that I'll use on my review but they're not photos of the seat on the bike.

• Thanks 1

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

Elmo,That seat actually looks pretty good.

Edited by gregjet
  • Like 1

• 5 months later...

@DewMan , how are you liking your Corbin after all this time? Do you have any side profile pics of it? After riding nonstop ( not counting gas & potty breaks) from 6:30am to 10:30pm yesterday on my slightly puffed up stock seat I find myself really thinking about spending this money. 

Looking at the split comparison picture on Corbin's site it looks like you can slide further away from the tank with the Corbin. Do you notice that, or is the picture just deceptive? 

Edited by shinyribs

• Premium Member
8 hours ago, shinyribs said:

@DewMan , how are you liking your Corbin after all this time? Do you have any side profile pics of it? After riding nonstop ( not counting gas & potty breaks) from 6:30am to 10:30pm yesterday on my slightly puffed up stock seat I find myself really thinking about spending this money. 

Looking at the split comparison picture on Corbin's site it looks like you can slide further away from the tank with the Corbin. Do you notice that, or is the picture just deceptive? 

side_exhaust.thumb.jpg.b682d325b7a70edad70e3759d5b3ee8b.jpg

I'm still calling my Corbin Saddle, along with my 2WDW flash and Bitubo suspension upgrades the top  three things I've done to my bike to make it a more enjoyable experience hands down. 4-6 hour long day rides, split by  a lunch stop are not at all uncomfortable.  My posterior  is a non-issue now during rides. My initial thoughts at the beginning of this thread have not changed.

I can slide back a hair bit further than I could on the stock vinyl covered plank but not much.  But there's a definite lip on the back edge of the rider pan that doesn't allow your posterior to slide back any further. Where as with the factory seat you could sit/slide back further if you wanted to encroach  onto the plastic divider trim piece between rider and pillion seats.

I find the lip a plus.  I find it useful when doing spirited acceleration. It allows me more relaxed handlebar manipulation and slightly less tank hugging under acceleration since I can only slide back so far on the Corbin.

The angle steepness of the pan, in the above photo, is deceptive since it's dished out in the middle so it's less steep than this side shot insinuates. Others have had their foam formed to be a more flat platform which worked out for them from what  I last heard. But for me I'm perfectly happy with the stock Corbin profile.

I won't swear that you'll like the saddle as well as I do since everyone's posterior is different as I'm sure you're aware.

If I can be of any further assistance let me know.  ✌️

• Like 1

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

@DewMan thanks brosef. Now how about a pic with the side case out of the way 😁  Joking, but thanks for the answer on the distance from tank question. Was really hoping to gain some leg room there.  

• Premium Member
6 hours ago, shinyribs said:

@DewMan thanks brosef. Now how about a pic with the side case out of the way 😁  Joking, but thanks for the answer on the distance from tank question. Was really hoping to gain some leg room there.  

I wouldn't do it just for leg room... the amount of extra is minimal...  but my posterior is very thankful.

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

• Premium Member
15 hours ago, Laben said:

Did you guys pay the $473 plus shipping?

I paid whatever was the normal price was a year or so ago.  I don't remember the exact amount but the amount sounds about right.

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

On 4/17/2018 at 11:42 PM, elmo said:

5ad6bde7853e7_corbinseat.thumb.jpg.596cbe746de4980c4be7f4b2fa08ec34.jpg

If you interested in selling it let me know i can be reached on ig better Mannyfz07

• Premium Member
10 hours ago, manny05x said:

Just bought used Corbin on the form, nice fit but looks bulky

FYI: The solo seat that I have is much less bulky (less tall and narrower) in the pillion area but can still serve for shorter 2 up rides.

Edited by DewMan

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

Not for sale at this time.

Yes, the gunfighter is much lower rear profile and vs. the gunfighter & lady  photo.

If riding 2up regularly the lady will enjoy this seat, its the backrest that's creates a more secured feeling.

932467763_corbin_20181011_1033111.thumb.jpg.44f5167aeb1db9cc05eaa69c3a914c65.jpg

Not for sale at this time.

Yes, the gunfighter is much lower rear profile and vs. the gunfighter & lady  photo.

If riding 2up regularly the lady will enjoy this seat, its the backrest that's creates a more secured feeling.

932467763_corbin_20181011_1033111.thumb.jpg.44f5167aeb1db9cc05eaa69c3a914c65.jpg