The MT-07 Forum

Sammy Halbert & Harley

markstertt

Well I guess we don't get to root for Sammy on the DT-07 this coming 2018 AFT series...Cycle World says he's signed with HD to ride their more serious for 2018, non production based dirt tracker. Looks like HD has figured to be able to compete with Indian they have to get serious...this could be fun. I haven't heard what's transpiring with the DT07's but I hope to see them out there.

CW also said that HD is behind the 'snow hill climb' this Sunday at the Xgames in Aspen...Sportster based hill climber looks pretty mean. The finale is Sunday, I don't think the prelims were aired on tv.

Ya read that as well, Yamaha has been silent on what is in store.  Jake Johnson has signed with Estenson as the McDermits will be tunning, I am assuming Jake will be on a DT-07 as no mention of what brand Estenson will be running.  The flyin Tomato #1 Single Colby Carlise is running aft singles for Estenson as well.

Mikie Rush #54 I would hope can catch a ride on the DT-07, I like this kid, I knew him in diapers, his pops and I are long time neighborhood freinds.  We have yet to see what any of the Bauman Bros will be on, as Briar is always in the mix "cocky" but in the mix.  Kenny Kingof Cool Coolbeth is on an Indian scout (Privateer)

There are a lot of fast kids coming into the picture, so this year and next should be interesting as the older vets start to retire.

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

19 minutes ago, mcbrien said:

I wonder if Sammy's bike is for sale? He has some sweet pieces on that bike.

Its not his bike, its Estensons.  Doe she have some in his shop, probably yes.

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

HD Site has the Team announced https://www.harley-davidson.com/us/en/events/racing/flat-track.html

SAMMY HALBERT

Sammy Halbert brings his veteran experience to the Harley-Davidson Factory Flat Track Racing Team in 2018. Since his rookie season in 2004 Halbert has won 13 times in Grand National competition. Always a tenacious competitor, he placed third in the twins championship chase in 2015, scored four wins and finished second in the championship in 2012, and won four times in 2011 and finished third. Halbert was named AMA Ricky Graham Rookie of the Year in 2006 and won his first Grand National race at the 2007 Castle Rock TT. Racing for Estenson Logistics in 2017, Halbert placed fourth in AFT Twins points with five podium results and 14 top-10 finishes. Halbert is 30 years old and lives in Graham, Wash.

CAREER HIGHLIGHTS

2017: Halbert finished fourth in the American Flat Track Twins Championship and won the X Games Gold medal. 

2016: Halbert finished 5th in the AMA Flat Track Championship with one win

2015: Halbert switched to number 69 to honor late brother Jethro, finished 3rd in the AMA Flat Track Championship and got the silver medal at the first ever X Games Flat Track 

2013: Halbert Scored 12th career win.

2012: Halbert finished second in the AMA Flat Track Championship with 4 wins.

2011: Halbert finished third in the AMA Flat Track Championship with 4 wins. 

2010: Halbert finished fourth in the AMA Flat Track championship.

2009: In a pivotal year for AMA Flat Track Halbert won his first Twins race, finished third in the GNC Twins class, fourth in the GNC singles class, and scored the most points overall to win the unofficial overall Flat Track championship earning a single digit number before the series changed back to the traditional overall championship scoring system.

2007: Halberts first AMA Grand National win came at the Castle Rock, WA TT in his home state sharing the podium with brother Jethro. 

2006: Halbert won the coveted Ricky Graham AMA Flat Track Rookie of the year. 

2004: Halbert won the AMA Pro-Sport Hot-Shoe National Championship

6 hours ago, Beemer said:

Oh man, I have to watch that! I have a sneaking suspicion H.D. is trying to boost it's sales with this new event. Yamaha best be on it's best cause H.D. kicks ass in hill climbs.

http://xgames.espn.com/xgames/aspen/article/22147211/harley-davidson-snow-hill-climb-debuts-x-games-aspen-2018

Darn it, lost my response to all you guys, I hate being computer illiterate, oh well.

I appreciate the responses and info, I'm really happy that the mfgs., riders and promoters are putting the effort in to reviving the original American form of m/c racing. 

Beemer, no sneaking suspicion, HD flat out says they're trying to branch out and get into more events etc. and spread the brand appeal. The CW report says that HD is getting serious with their new flat tracker and giving up on the production based concept with purpose built heads etc...they have to keep up with those Indians.

r!limited, I'm envious of your racing experiences and acquaintences.(SP?) Wasn't it Mikie Rush's back up -07 that JD Beach raced in the Perris finale? If only JD hadn't down shifted off the start and got stuck with everyone else behind the Indian (privateer?) who made the wrong tire choice. I think we'd have had a different race but instead Jerred was able to pull away...that's racing but darn JD was fast!

I too am really looking forward to the new season and can only hope we have some good fast Yamahas out there, I also hope we don't end up with a majority of Indians, diversity keeps it interesting.

I got that and with all the rumors going around about H.D.' sales dropping I was just being sarcastic but I'm actually a little excited to see H.D. worried instead of just laying back all relaxed with an arrogant attitude, thinking their bikes heritage alone will carry them in sales. I think they've finally awoke and realized the dream is over and if they don't get off their asses and start making more high tech bikes for the street their old school bikes may become more of a novelty item in the near future. An expensive novelty at that.

I'm a Yamaha guy but I have to say, I would love to have that H.D. in the video, shorten the swing-arm, switch out the tires for street tires, add a head light/signals because that would be one bad-ass bike (one that didn't just make noise, ha!) with it's power to weight ratio. If they could make a production bike similar to that I think that would stir the motorcycle world significantly and increase their sales.

Beemer

Trying to figure out this Snow Hill Climb class. Awesome idea, but is it a Sportster only class? That's boring. We need some CP2's on that hill!

I'll never understand why the performance world can all agree that the Sportster has serious potential, but the HD faithfull still peg it is a Lady's Bike. A "Skirtster". 

BILTWELL-HARLEY-DAVIDSON-STREET-TRACKER_

HD will do anything to sell bikes, including the bulcrap 883 in both FT and RR.  So they use the influence inside the AMA to create a HD only class so all participants have to buy a HD.  I dont get the hooligan class at all, nor do I get this hd Ice capades.  Oh well, I guess totalitarianism is not just for dick-tators

For the record the 900 sprtster was the grandpa of the vulnerable XR750.  So when a big balled South Park HDr spouts off donky poop hit em with dat one ;)

I wanted that first iron XR for a street bike, to me one of the best looking trackers of all time. We all clamored for a streetable XR but Harley never listened. Now we've got the new Indian, Harley's original thorn in the side company. I'd love to have a streetable Indian tracker (that I could afford). My first bike was a mid 50's Harley 165 Hummer, brother had a super fast little HD 125 Rapido, I then wanted an HD Sprint since the locals were dirt tracking some and they were fast but ended up with a new Honda CL77 until I got a ride on a friends Triumph TR6, I test rode a used Sporty but ended up going British. 

I guess what I'm saying is that Harley had more diversity back in the good old days but have been sitting on their laurels and cruisers for to long, Erik Buell tried to bring HD main stream but alas, and you're right about the Sportster, my brother has one and was literally shunned at a local ride out...he actually rides it with British bike friends now and is hot on getting his Triumphs back on the street...no comparison in handling either, old Triumphs win hands down. Would I like a rubber mounted Sportster? Yes I would with the huge after market stuff available, it would be a blast. For the price of my Triumphs alloy nikasil big bore, I could get nikasil barrels and modified heads for the Sportster. It would have to be much lighter than stock however, I had an XR1000 for a year and could hardly get it out of my patio door...the Fz wiggles out easily.

I'm afraid the snow climb might be a Harley only snoozer, don't know but want to see the modified Sportsters anyway.

22 hours ago, shinyribs said:

Trying to figure out this Snow Hill Climb class. Awesome idea, but is it a Sportster only class? That's boring. We need some CP2's on that hill!

I'll never understand why the performance world can all agree that the Sportster has serious potential, but the HD faithfull still peg it is a Lady's Bike. A "Skirtster". 

BILTWELL-HARLEY-DAVIDSON-STREET-TRACKER_

Sportster only? If it is that's BS and it will only go to show that Harley is afraid of the competition.

Beemer

2 hours ago, Beemer said:

Because those people aren't into speed, competition or performance. They're into laziness, food and beer so they have to have a smaller bike to pick on to make them feel good about the only bikes that can accommodate their fat asses, the wide, heavy, slow ones. Yeah, that's mean but that's their karma for their snobbishness. 😉 That deserves a cold beer!

Sportster only? If it is that's BS and it will only go to show that Harley is afraid of the competition.

Yes it was Sportster only and not much to say about it other than they showed a couple drag racing up the half pipe and gave the winner the Gold medal...hill climbs should be on real hills with real dirt, rocks and bumps and an almost impossible angle with guys looping out and their bikes chasing them back down the mountain...that kind of stuff...sorry but not my idea of a new xgame event.

• Global Moderator

I was getting excited about it until I heard what the fornat was, then I did not bother watching.  I thought an X-Games hill climb would be something extreme. 

9 hours ago, markstertt said:

Yes it was Sportster only and not much to say about it other than they showed a couple drag racing up the half pipe and gave the winner the Gold medal...hill climbs should be on real hills with real dirt, rocks and bumps and an almost impossible angle with guys looping out and their bikes chasing them back down the mountain...that kind of stuff...sorry but not my idea of a new xgame event.

That was just H.D. fluffing the general public to boost their interest in THEIR bikes. Real competition hill climbs usually involves a number of competitors from different companies going up a real hill one at a time. Come to think of it, if H.D.'s are such real bikes for real men why didn't they climb up a real hill? The whole event is so laughable. It just goes to show how H.D. relies on the ignorance of non bike peoples for sales.

Beemer

The whole event came off a little WWE 'ish with all the hooplah,  glitz & glamour and a predetermined winner.

In this corner, weighing in at 2,076 pounds, THE UNDEFEATED, REINING CHAMPION, the one, the ONLY ........ HARLEY DAVIDSON!!!

His opponent, weighing in at 2,076 pounds ........ WITH A FIGHTING RECORD OF 100,000,000 / 0 ...... HARLEY DAVIDSON!!!

I wonder how many people guessed which bike would win the staged, circus act. 😆

Beemer

I did not watch, It would be like wonderng the the fat ass skanks kardashians are doing like I DUN GIVE A PHUCK

2 hours ago, Beemer said:

That was just H.D. fluffing the general public to boost their interest in THEIR bikes. Real competition hill climbs usually involves a number of competitors from different companies going up a real hill one at a time. Come to think of it, if H.D.'s are such real bikes for real men why didn't they climb up a real hill? The whole event is so laughable. It just goes to show how H.D. relies on the ignorance of non bike peoples for sales.

Yes true and I don't think this is an event that needs to be in the Xgames, not extreme enough, but in fairness to Harley, the company's bikes have run and won lots of hillclimbs and I have newspaper clippings from when my dad raced back in the 50's and real men on gnarly Harleys made up the majority of the racers and these were off road events, endures and scrambles. I'll always remember one hill climb dad took me to as a kid where after the dust settled only one bike made it over the top...a big black Sportster. I don't like the influence the company has had over the AMA in the past, I never liked the fact that my hero Gary Nixon had to race a 500cc Triumph against the 750cc flathead Harleys...not stinking fair. Oh well. 

Real Hill Climbers

Widow Maker

Archived