The MT-07 Forum

from a wr250x to a fz 07 ?

wr250x

Well like my username states, I've been riding my wr250x for almost two years. I've put about 5k miles on it so far. It's a 2011 that I bought used with 700 miles on it. I was riding a zuma 125 before that for about two years. That's my riding history. .so the question is would the 07 be a good next step up?
And I'm curious about how the transition might be....
So any out there with similar backgrounds please chime in :)
Thanks

My last street bike was a 2008 WR250X, a fun bike for sure.

I feel that if you liked the WR250X, you will like the FZ07.
The FZ07 feels like a dirt bike with a 75hp twin-cylindered engine tuned for low and mid range power and torque.
Short-shift it, ride the torque curve, and the FZ07 pulls very well, very much like a big bore thumper.
It feels thin, small, light and maneuverable, too, especially when you twist the right grip.
It's a fun-to-ride bike.

• Global Moderator

My last bike was a WRX too. I loved it. You can feel it's the same family but the 07 is so much more in every respect.

OK cool thanks for all the info..I remember before buying the wrx, reading all the reviews, and lots were mentioning the throttle being twitchy/ sensitive. And that mixed with the gearing means lots of shifting. I'm OK with the throttle and find myself with it wot lots of the time.
The 07, howz the throttle response and gear ratios?
My main roads for commuting are 45& 55 mph. No highways needed.
I'm just tossing this idea around because the wrx seems fine but the 07 could be fine with much fun..

• Global Moderator

No problems with my throttle response. I adjusted the cable slack a while ago and couldn't be happier. Gear ratio's are perfect imo. I am sure your are going to love the 07. You will not look back.

• Global Moderator

They took the slack out of the throttle at my 600 mile service. I wish I had done it earlier. It makes a big difference.

I feel the FZ07 does have what riders call a "snatch" or "snatchy" throttle response.
That means even when trying to be smooth with getting back on the throttle, the bike picks up your throttle input as if you had just whacked the throttle back open suddenly.
Not a deal-breaker, but the condition is there, and to me it's an annoyance that I simply ride around.
Removing the excessive throttle cable free play the bike rolls out of the shipping crate and onto the showroom floor with helps, but does not eliminate this.
It's not an FZ07-only thing, though, as many other bikes have it, too.

For the sport riding I use the bike for, I feel that 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gears are good and closely spaced.
There's a jump to 4th that I wish wasn't there, and sometime 3rd feels a little too low a gear and 4th too high a gear.
For me, 5th and 6th are rarely used, only if I hop onto the Interstate for a bit.
6th gear has the bike loafing along at 65mph.

Going to an fz07 from a wr250x is a great step up! I Had a 2008 wr250x with just about every mod known to man on it. It sure was fun. But yeah I'm glad I stepped up. I definitely want another supermoto that's for sure. I miss that thing. Wish I coulda kept it and had both bikes. Haha I used to rip wheelies for miles and do all kinds of stupid stuff with my motard crew.

About the throttle, snatchy is a good description..so I was a bit concerned about more power and that feel..
Anyhow, off topic..whats a good selling price or trade in for my wrx?
Im the second owner with the pink slip. Just under 5k miles, has a fmf pipe, seat concept seat, tail delete with leds front and back, never dropped, mint condition ..
Again thanks all for the feedback!

• Global Moderator

I really can;t help you there, I think it all depends on supply and demand and where you live. I bought mine used and sold it 2.5 years later for $5k, more then I paid for. ::) But that's in Canada so in your case it could be totally different. I would browse on the WR250R/X forum to get a good idea.

I feel the FZ07 does have what riders call a "snatch" or "snatchy" throttle response. That means even when trying to be smooth with getting back on the throttle, the bike picks up your throttle input as if you had just whacked the throttle back open suddenly.
Not a deal-breaker, but the condition is there, and to me it's an annoyance that I simply ride around.
Removing the excessive throttle cable free play the bike rolls out of the shipping crate and onto the showroom floor with helps, but does not eliminate this.
It's not an FZ07-only thing, though, as many other bikes have it, too.

For the sport riding I use the bike for, I feel that 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gears are good and closely spaced.
There's a jump to 4th that I wish wasn't there, and sometime 3rd feels a little too low a gear and 4th too high a gear.
For me, 5th and 6th are rarely used, only if I hop onto the Interstate for a bit.
6th gear has the bike loafing along at 65mph.
This.  All of this.  

I took out a lot of slack at the TB and I also took more out at the cable adjuster.  It helped tremendously, but did not 100% eliminate the "snatchyness" of the bike.  Knowing it's there though and adapting to it, I can totally live with it.  

Sounds like I ride similarly...  I use 3rd and 4th probably 90% of the time.  4th is more when I'm commuting than riding hard.  Somewhere around 40-45MPH is where it gets tricky to decide what gear the bike wants to be in.  I keep it in 3rd if I and feeling sporty but the revs just feel a little high for a bike that redlines at 10k, not leaving a whole lot left in that gear when i want to drop the hammer; 4th if I'm cruising at those speeds and power responsiveness is not a huge concern.  

Life is good on 2 wheels!

I wouldn't trade it in. Their gonna lowball the crap out of you. If you sell it to someone I can't see you having a problem getting at least 4500. I sold my 08 with 11xxx miles for 3500. My buddy (who is an idiot) decided to trade his 2013 drz in for a new bike and they only gave him 3000. The drz only had 2000 miles on it. He could have gotten at least 5000 if he woulda been patient.

I sold my 2010 WR250X to a friend.  So, i made a friendly price. And i have to say that i missed this little bike. It was a blast on fire roads (TKC 80 tires). I know that some people compared the FZ-07 to a supermoto like bike. I't's not a supermoto. The feel and the position is truly a naked bike. A Ducati Hypermotard is like a supermoto. Don't get me wrong i love the 07. But i have to be honest, if money was not an issue i'd buy another WR. Maybe, i'll put some Avon Distanzia on the 07. It would make fire roads more fun than with 100% street tire.

past bikes: WR250X, KLR650, V-Strom 1000, DR650, FZ-6, SV650S, Seca II, GS400S, Seca 750, YZ80.

• Global Moderator

You're right, the WR was more fun on gravel and dirt roads. I seem to struggle a bit now, but I have play with tire pressure to see if it makes a difference. I had switched to Distanzia's on mine and they made a big impact compared to the stock Bridgestones. I like the idea to do the same with the 07 although I don't think they come in our size.

The other day I was checking out a white 07. Looked really nice and as people say way better in person. Compared to my wrx, and I have the Yama lowering link, I was a bit stunned at how low the bike is. I'm not tall either, five seven. But it felt really good, could basically flat foot, felt lighter than I expected too.
So now I'm curious about the riding difference. Where I live we have a few speed bumps and the wrx of course no problems, this bike being lower and less travel I'm guessing much slower over those. Then the over all riding difference. ..can any of you former wrx riders maybe provide some ?
I've been dealing with some local dealers here in socal..and have an offer for 8k out the door. Which is respectful..and and waiting to see what type of financing Yamaha offers next..
Again thanks for all the feedback!

If you want to play over speed bumps, I'd wheelie over them, if anything.
Myself, I tend not to do that kind of stuff because I've discovered that the older I get, the less I monkey around like that.

The FZ07 has less suspension travel (approximately half that of a WR250X) and less ground clearance.
You sit closer to the road surface.
The tires offer high grip on the tarmac (but use your head and be on the lookout for dirt, gravel, oil, grass clippings, leaves, etc.).
The engine makes oodles more power and torque than the WR250X with the trade-off being more weight, although, as you mentioned, the FZ07 is light for a 700cc-class street bike with two cylinders, and the FZ07 feels light when riding it.
The FZ07 power characteristics are like a big-bore thumper:
Plenty of low and mid-range power and torque, and the feel and throb coming from the engine feels like a V-twin.
It's excellent for sport riding on back roads and the power delivery is easy to use.

In my experience and opinion, it's a logical step for somebody looking for a street bike who is wanting to move up the performance ladder from a 250cc dirt bike or dual-purpose bike or street motard.

Archived