The MT-07 Forum

XSR commute

faffi

• Premium Member
bornagainbiker

He makes a good point about price: for about $500 more you can get an MT09.  The "retro" look would have to be very important to a buyer to opt for the XSR700 over the MT09 IMHO.  To each their own though, maybe some riders like the 07 better than the 09 anyway, and just want something a little different.

Give Respect To Get Respect   https://jeff-galbraith.pixels.com/

He makes some good points but I can't stand when people discredit a good bike over things that are relative. As we've seen in other recent videos, you don't have to be leaning forward to be happy with your bike.

• Like 1

Beemer

• 1 year later...
On 1/24/2018 at 6:09 AM, bornagainbiker said:

He makes a good point about price: for about $500 more you can get an MT09.  The "retro" look would have to be very important to a buyer to opt for the XSR700 over the MT09 IMHO.  To each their own though, maybe some riders like the 07 better than the 09 anyway, and just want something a little different.

It was.   I don't need a 900, it's been 20 years since something has tripped my trigger as the XSR700 has so I paid more, but then again I bought it here in August of 2019 so I saved money on it as a non-current.  The year doesn't matter, I am not looking to sell it.   

It isn't anything to do with retro, I just don't see that in the bike.  Retro is a W800, retro is the Royal Enfields, retro is a number of the Triumphs.  That tail light and round headlight are the only thing "retro" about it and I'm not that jazzed with the tail light, but I can live with that.   I am not big on the transformer look and I like the bare bones bare knuckles kind of look it has - plus I like that the 700 is the engine Yamaha flat trackers are based on, unlike the special "have to be approved to buy" Indian FTR750.    I also like that it is kind of see thru, bits and pieces showing.  I don't want or like a bunch of covers over everything.  Kind of the flat tracker in me.

So for me it is just the right bike, I never seriously looked at the FZ or MT, because they just didn't do it for me.   Do not take that as some slight of your choices, it isn't.  We each like different looks is all.   

Not a lot of miles yet at a bit over 300, but I certainly feel I made the right choice.    My brother has an FJ09, but he also is doing some riding two up, I don't - wife doesn't care to ride, does nothing for her.    So I also have a solo saddle and unbolted the passenger pegs, putting in some button head allens to fill the holes.   I did the gauge relocation kit that puts it up and to the right, with a brushed aluminum cup on the bottom to make it look better.   I won't be removing the rear fender at this point because I don't want spray up my back and if I did do something I'd want a similar fender that is long enough to stop the spray, maybe with a Lucas style tail light.   There is a flat track style seat/tail out for the bike that is a no modification click in place set up.