The MT-07 Forum

Sault Ste. Marie to Thunder Bay

jkzak

Hey guys,

Trying to plan a summer trip and I hear the drive between Sault Ste. Marie and Thunder Bay is awesome in the spring. Just wondering if anyone has done it and has any advice of places to stay/ things to see.

Wife and I have done circle tour of Lake Superior several times in both directions. It's definitely worth the drive. It is beautiful and I would recommend expanding a little if time permits and include the north shore drive in Minnesota, Lake Superior Maritime Museum in Duluth as well as the attractions in Canal Park. Michigan has the Shipwreck Museum on Whitefish Point in the upper P. Of course everyone likes different things but we liked the drive most around the top from Duluth around to Michigan (either direction) Take plenty of time and wander it. The views and little points of interest are fantastic and the Canadian side is more remote and breath taking. 

Wife and I have couple hundred thousand miles two up all over North American. This is a favorite in the middle of the rock. 

Just do it.

😀

• Premium Member

I've done the "circle tour" twice around Lake Superior. There was always plenty of lodging available. We didn't make reservations, just rode until we wanted to stop. Pack warm clothing though, even in August it can be 45 agrees in the morning (next to the lake), and be 85 degrees in two hours. Somewhere in Canada, they have the longest rope bridge in North America (not too far off the circle tour route.) That was kind of cool to walk across. There is plenty to see & do along the way. As Mossrider said, take plenty of time to wander-

""W.O.T. until you see god, then brake"

Time is not an issue for me. Luckily with my Job I have 8 weeks off at a time. 

I will definitely be looking for a warmer jacket with removable layers and some saddle bags

Archived