The MT-07 Forum

Headlight stopped working

garbodp

Hello all,

I recently took off my whole headlight to re tap the side allen mount ( prev owner cross threaded it). I unplugged my headlight and took it off completely to get better access. The bike was not on, but the battery was all connected.

Finished and saved the thread, but when I plugged the headlight/signals/running light back in, it stopped working. The Fuse is Ok, all the connections are solid. The bulb filament looks good.The signals work, but not the head light or running light. I'm totally at a loss. Any suggestions? Its all stock except rear LED Signals, but as I said signal flashers work fine ( frt & back).

When you say running light, are you referring to the single center bulb below the main bulb, or to the turn signals ?

Are you testing this with the motor off? 

There's a circuit somewhere that shuts off the headlight if battery voltage is not high enough - guessing it's somewhere in the 13s. So unless the battery comes off of a float charger - or you were just riding, the light will stay off until the charge system is cranking out 14V 

What Rick said ^^^. On these bikes, the headlight won't come on with the key. You have to start the engine. The small internal light inside the headlight will come on with just they key, though. 

4 minutes ago, shinyribs said:

What Rick said ^^^. On these bikes, the headlight won't come on with the key. You have to start the engine. The small internal light inside the headlight will come on with just they key, though. 

will that little light come on with the key in ignition or must the key be in the "park"  position? 

After doing a ton of work on friend's Ninja 250, i then wasted hours trying to figure out why the headlight would not come on after it was all buttoned up - doh! It has the same cut-off circuitry. 

12 minutes ago, rick said:

will that little light come on with the key in ignition or must the key be in the "park"  position? 

It will come on with just the key in the "run' position. I use mine fairly often in the dark garage for a nightlight when I need to run in quick to grab something.

Have a hard time getting my head in tune with the wiring diagram of this bike ( my Aprilia is far more complicated with relay after relay, but far easier to read), but it appears that park light is not on the same fuse/circuit as the headlight, that makes sense it would come on with just the key. 

. I replace microscope bulbs all the time that test bad with a meter, but look just fine - until you put them under a dissecting microscope. Could just be  a weird coincidence of that little bulb being dead and the motor needing to run for the headlight. I don't trust my old eyes when it comes to bulb filaments anymore. seen too many that "looked" ok, but had a teeny fracture. 

What everyone else said plus one other minor detail, you said the FUSE is ok. Do you mean that in the singular or plural because I've had two fuses go at once. Did you check any of those little 10a fuses?

Beemer

Ok Guys,

Im an IDIOT!

So lets respond to the different ideas you collectively brought up. First off it all works now, and I hope If i post this, others won't be soooo stupid.

1- The "running light" I was referring to, is the single 12w5v bulb in the bottom center of the headlight housing. IT WAS Burnt out. I replaced it with an LED version and it works fine.

2- The Main Headlight bulb was in tact ( no burnt or broken Filament).

3- The #3 Fuse ( designated for the headlight) was intact as well, not broken or burnt. As "Beemer" suggested, I too looked at all the fuses and they were good.

Solution:

Rick is the winner!!! I didn't realize that the Headlight does not come on until the engine is running. I called a another friend of mine with an FZ07 and he never even noticed.

He turned the ignition to on and only the running light came on. It wasn't until the engine fired did the main Headlight turn on.

Here Is Luis' bike with the ignition to on, but motor not running…..5a663842d35d1_LuFZ07.png.ec349e43eb6cb7fa9e561e3d90730ea4.png

*******THANKS GUYS, IWAS GOING CRAZY TRYING TO FIGURE IT OUT!!!!!!!*************

Archived