The MT-07 Forum

Which upgrade makes the most difference?

Cruizin

Although suspension is a great upgrade I believe having a fuel controller has made the biggest difference to me. Not only does it add power but it gives me peace of mind that my engine is running correctly and not super lean. Just my 2cents.

• Premium Member
hippiebikerchick
Well, just after typing that above I went for a spirited ride and then got home and noticed this 
http://i1031.photobucket.com/albums/y371/sincitybronco/IMG_2257_zps585951a9.jpg

Time for a new rear tire! The Bridgestones grip really well but don't last very long. 4358 miles aint too bad though.
It looks to me like you aren't using the sides of your tires enough!  :))

Illegitimi non carborundum

• Premium Member
crazycracka501
  • Premium Member
And about three hours into it you will be wishing for better suspension...
Ha! Probably true..and as you know I'm already in the que for a set of AK20's - just waiting on Dan to get back to me on the Penske :) 

Having said that I still think upgrading the rider will always make the biggest difference, and here's why...

I used to know a guy that does a bunch of track day riding, and he would use nothing but the best slick tires available.  He loved their grip level and when he got the slightest hint of wheelspin, he would think his tires are shot and replace them with new ones even though there is still life left in the previous set.  The point being he was only comfortable in perfect conditions.

As riders, on the track or not, we are rarely ever presented with the perfect conditions.  I think if he was used to the bike moving underneath him with the rear end sliding about a little bit, he'd be much faster overall because his skill set would be able to compensate for the diminished conditions.

I'd rather be the best I can with the equipment I have then have the best equipment and never progress as a rider.

I guess that's an extreme example, but I look it at like this...at the price point and beginner riders this bike is aimed at, I don't think it's realistic for them to spend money on upgrading to expensive high end components that the majority of them will not really see the benefit from, especially if they weigh under 160 lbs.  For the 90% of commuting and just running about I think they'd get much more out of rider instruction, not necessarily superbike school, but some sort of rider education/instruction program because it's transferable to any bike they will ever get.

Granted, if the person weighs 300 lbs, then yes, I'd say the stock suspension would be a little soft :)

It's really a hard question to answer in general terms.  What upgrade makes the most difference...for what?  Performance?  Comfort?  Reliability?  Etc?

Just my 2 cents.

Having said that, I can't wait for the AK20/Penske combo!!!

;)

- Paulie

Well, just after typing that above I went for a spirited ride and then got home and noticed this 
http://i1031.photobucket.com/albums/y371/sincitybronco/IMG_2257_zps585951a9.jpg

Time for a new rear tire! The Bridgestones grip really well but don't last very long. 4358 miles aint too bad though.
WOW!!! looks decieving, looks like you have a lot of tread left.

• Global Moderator

I had the same problem. with my previous bike, on Bridgestones too. Worked great to the end and suddenly poof, out of nowhere.

IMG_1875.JPG

I thought those new breeds of tires had a harder center compound and softer compound on the sides?
That looks like a pretty soft compound in the center for 3400 miles, but it also depends on the driver.
I think that bike's high torque might eat up through tires and chains very quickly.

• Premium Member

I wouldn't be surprised if that were supposed to happen. Similar to the wear marks on brake pads.

Everything went braap.

OEM tires are not the same as the ones that we buy. Or, at least not Bridgestone OEM.
Very true.  OEM tires are typically pretty cheap and crappy as compared to other models of the same brand/type, to keep new vehicle costs down.  

Life is good on 2 wheels!

HatGuysFriend

Archived