The MT-07 Forum

The Dark Side of Super Bright LED Flush Mounts

Beemer

I've followed behind many riders.  Some LEDs are hard to see.  Some are ok.  Yamaha pumpkins were one of the brightest I've seen when lit.  Current Kawasaki stock blinkers (clear with amber bulb) are one of the dimmest I've seen lit, comparable to average LEDs.  I've never, ever, ever saw an LED and thought to myself "gee that is bright" when riding in sunlight.  Of course, this is all based on safe following distance.  I honestly don't know what the actual distance of my safe following distance is.  But this is all my anecdotal observations.

Actually what this topic has made me do is purchase some amber 7440 LED bulbs.  I'll see how they are in sunlight compared to OEM.  Using my own eyes of course.

Also I would take the info of a light meter with a grain of salt.  The human eye and the light meter read light differently. I mean, light meters are made for photo and video use of course... which is one of your arguments.

Engaging with people that have personality disorders on a message board is like arguing with a rock.

• Global Moderator

I redid the test but programmed the Protons to do a slow pulse instead of the strobe, and got better results. I also tested the LED headlight, but my meter only goes to 2000 lumens and it was over that. 

Screen Shot 2018-01-23 at 9.43.38 PM.png

11 minutes ago, duenan said:

I've followed behind many riders.  Some LEDs are hard to see.  Some are ok.  Yamaha pumpkins were one of the brightest I've seen when lit.  Current Kawasaki stock blinkers (clear with amber bulb) are one of the dimmest I've seen lit, comparable to average LEDs.  I've never, ever, ever saw an LED and thought to myself "gee that is bright" when riding in sunlight.  Of course, this is all based on safe following distance.  I honestly don't know what the actual distance of my safe following distance is.  But this is all my anecdotal observations.

Actually what this topic has made me do is purchase some amber 7440 LED bulbs.  I'll see how they are in sunlight compared to OEM.  Using my own eyes of course.

Also I would take the info of a light meter with a grain of salt.  The human eye and the light meter read light differently. 

Check these out for rear facing (the left box).MVIMG_20180119_164645-1209x1612.thumb.jpg.617f26c63baff271be96d5b826f9d17e.jpg They'll burn a hole in your retina. 

MVIMG_20180119_164655-1512x2016.jpg

20171013_172410-1195x2124.jpg

20171013_172357-1195x2124.jpg

But I will concede my own observations are far, far from scientific due to the fact that a majority of people seem to buy LEDs merely for aesthetics and don't actually seem to focus and research brightness.  So there is the huge possibility that I have encountered and witnessed bad/cheap/ineffectively bright LEDs at a rate of 100%.  Oh well, in the end, it doesn't matter how bright your signals are when the person behind you who is checking their text slams into and kills you when you stop on a one lane road to turn left.  😀

Engaging with people that have personality disorders on a message board is like arguing with a rock.

1 hour ago, duenan said:

But I will concede my own observations are far, far from scientific due to the fact that a majority of people seem to buy LEDs merely for aesthetics and don't actually seem to focus and research brightness.  So there is the huge possibility that I have encountered and witnessed bad/cheap/ineffectively bright LEDs at a rate of 100%.  Oh well, in the end, it doesn't matter how bright your signals are when the person behind you who is checking their text slams into and kills you when you stop on a one lane road to turn left.  1f600.png

Too true! Always leave an out and never trust them, right?! Stay frosty out there guys!

Just my two cents here; I do have flush mount LED indicators up front and an integrated taillight in the rear.  I current do not have any additional lighting besides my very bright dual LED headlamps.  I don't believe blinkers will save your life when a cager isn't paying attention to the road.  Riding defensively and learning ho to stay out of blind spots etc. is the best way to keep yourself upright.  I've got a lot of city/traffic riding miles in and haven't really had an issue with my turn signals, and i believe it is my riding style that backs that up.  Not trying to be an @$$ here either but I do prefer to be stylish and safe if that is possible.

I have yet to find a brighter replacement for the stock pumpkins on my bike.  I'm talking daytime brightness as well.  I think the issue is with the quality of LEDs out there.  Most are cheapo ebay and amazon junk with big claims of lumens and DOT approval.  LEDs can be great if the quality is there, just look at the OEM LED taillight for example.  Nice and bright with a big difference in brake off vs brake on.  This is because OEMs actually adhere to DOT guidelines.  I'd like to find an OEM LED replacement if possible.  Until then, I'll just stick with my goofy pumpkins lol

• Global Moderator
On 1/20/2018 at 11:04 AM, mick97702 said:

So this proves my point beautifully! If I were to make a judgement call of the brightness of these lights based on your video, I'd pass on them. Including your headlight that I assume is a Cyclops. Most guys know how good and bright they are!  You just can't capture the intensity of MOST lights that the eye can see, with a camera, nor can a phone or computer screen replicate it! If they could, you would be seeing spots stairing at your headlight on the video. 

Thanks!

Here's another good example This picture was taken with all the bikes's lights on during the day. The shop lights are also all on. I just manually focused on the headlight.

40ebe90bc152d70a467acdd9aaee3bca.jpg

• 3 months later...

Based on this thread alone, I'm almost sold on the Protn 500's on front and the X-Arcs on back.

In your video, Tavis, both flush mounts appear lit, but in the last still shot it appears that only the right one is lit. Is that due to your position, or is the left light actually out? (Or, for some reason dimmer than the right?)

• 1 month later...

My two cents. 

Please don't smoke your taillights.

This is a worse than cheapo altezza lights back in the early 2000's on all the Hondas. 

Archived