The MT-07 Forum

In Search of boots

r1limited

Been looking closely at Cortech Latigo Air RR Boots, all my others have been Alpinestar.  Me last pair of SMX-2 is pretty much done, so it is time to replace.  Just cannot pull the trigger on a 270 pair SMX-6 v2s, ya I am cheap.

Anyone have any feedback on the coretech?  I do like coretech, I do have positive feedback on gloves which I am replacing with a set of cortechs impulse rr

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

• Premium Member

I brought a pair of basic boots years ago and found them to be sewn up way outta alignment with each other... so they are collecting dust after 5+ yrs...

I prefer my new Sidi Canyon boots... they run a bit big( best to try on a pair at local store to confirm size)... these boots are water proof, wind proof, I use em to run around on the quads on the farms/ apple orchards or even a trail ride on the ole wr-250f... 

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

• Premium Member

+1 for Sidi. Very pleased overall.

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.          Fuss Life.

My race partner rocks the Latigo's. He prefers a less bombproof boot for the comfort and flexibility they offer over a more traditional race boot. The Latigos trade some ankle protection for flexibility and are probably more suited to all day wear than some other boots. At least he doesn't have that ski-boot clomp walk you see in the paddock. I think they are a decent boot biased toward street use over track.

P.S. he also is cheap and old.

I can't offer any suggestions on road race type boots, but I'd say cut no corners. 

Off-road riding, the most expensive boots you can find are around 700 bucks. That's nothing compared to surgeries and pins. That said, price doesn't always equal quality/protection. 

If we can swing $800 exhausts that give very little performance, we can certainly swing a few hundred to wrap our feet up. 

I have a road GoreTex model that I suspect have been superseded by this:

https://www.alpinestars.com/products/road/tech-touring/web-gtx-boot

I am very happy with them; the warmest boots I've had in the winter, yet not too hot in our not-so-hot summers. And absolutely water proof. Plus very comfy. Only downside is that the soles get rubbed away during brisk cornering, but that goes for every boots save the IXS Victory, that I also have, but they are for summer rides and when walking is not in the cards.

s-l300.jpg

My buddy has a pair of very similar cortechs, but I'm not certain that it is the exact same model. They have the same closure anyways, which was a problem for him. I think the zip or the velcro gave him issues. He has large calves though, so take it with a grain of salt. +1 for sidi's for me as well. I'd be hard pressed to buy anything else after my experience with them.

9 hours ago, patrolus said:

Boots are like women, you need a few different ones for different occasions ....

Ever try to keep 4 different women in your closet at the same time?  Yeah, I won't do that again...

17 minutes ago, rider said:

Ever try to keep 4 different women in your closet at the same time?  Yeah, I won't do that again...

I do remember hiding with 3 other guys in a spare room of a church run student accommodation for female students....not a closet, but same feeling hahah.

The fire brigade knocked on the door to evacuate the building because they found a WW2 bomb a few streets down..... And because males were not allowed to 'visit' , we couldn't walk out and had to hide and wait till they managed to secure the detonator.... It was a bit scary back then!

- and that shet still gets dug up very frequently in German cities today..... 

• Premium Member

This is what I have www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/sidi-b2-boots . I really like the protection and comfort, only downside is they squeak a bit on the ankle protection when walking, no big deal. At $175, I had to get them. You could take a look at these for a good price point. www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/sidi-fusion-boots 

3 hours ago, ddog said:

My buddy has a pair of very similar cortechs, but I'm not certain that it is the exact same model. They have the same closure anyways, which was a problem for him. I think the zip or the velcro gave him issues. He has large calves though, so take it with a grain of salt. +1 for sidi's for me as well. I'd be hard pressed to buy anything else after my experience with them.

I have heard the same on Coretech boots in general, thus the asking.  I have used Coretech gloves for road predominantly, oddly they fit me well and are comfortable so ya go with what works.  I am a little apprehensive on the boot as the pros and cons, however that said the SMX6 v2 though expensive wil be my go to I have yet to try on the Coretech cannot find them in my hood.  And i hate sending shet back

16 hours ago, mossrider said:

My race partner rocks the Latigo's. He prefers a less bombproof boot for the comfort and flexibility they offer over a more traditional race boot. The Latigos trade some ankle protection for flexibility and are probably more suited to all day wear than some other boots. At least he doesn't have that ski-boot clomp walk you see in the paddock. I think they are a decent boot biased toward street use over track.

P.S. he also is cheap and old.

Old and Cheap I are but boots dun make me any faster or slower :) my 3 lb mass of protien between the ears controling me right writs determines that .  Thank you for that info.

PS SIDI sucks, just because of the name, like the name kawasuckme yea sucks

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

Another option in that price point would be Spidi. I have an old pair of the xpd3, most comfortable boots I've ever owned. Still wear em on the street too. Good quality too. I've switched to TCX boots for racing tho, a bit better protection to go with good fit for wider feet.

I bought a pair of TCX X-Desert based on reviews that they fitted wide feet. Despite reports saying they were true to size, I ordered two sizes up from what I usually wear. They were still very narrow for me - unlike the Alpinestars and just about every other motorcycle boots I've owned over the years - and I had them blocked twice to gain some room. Still narrow, though, Perhaps I got a dud pair. Oh, and they were also supposed to be very warm, but I'd say my Alpinestars are warmer. But the TCX are a good compromise between street and dirt.

• 4 months later...

It's been awhile so what did you end up buying (if you did) and how do you like them?

Beemer

TCX ( originally Ox Star I think) road racing boots are very narrow lasts. Couldn't wear them.

Alpine stars are a favourite BUT they selfdestruct ( at least in the tropics) after about 4 years. I reckon any quality boot that is reasonably comfortable and has a limiting articulation at the ankle is the way to go. Harder to know nowdays as a few manufacturers have started making the articulation not visible.

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

5 hours ago, Beemer said:

It's been awhile so what did you end up buying (if you did) and how do you like them?

The Cortechs, actualy impressed

I thought I wrote a review on these? I did

I see, I missed that review. Nice boots, btw! You should've just did the review in this thread after all the talk about which ones you were going to buy. I had no idea you would jump track to do a write up about them. Anyways, I've bought Cortech gloves in the past and I thought they were made very well. They were leather and perforated in places but still a little too hot, made my hands sweaty but I did like the protection they offered as far as a street glove goes. https://www.amazon.com/Cortech-Impulse-Street-Motorcycle-Gloves/dp/B00VE4VZSW/ref=sr_1_30?ie=UTF8&qid=1526819935&sr=8-30&keywords=cortech+gloves+motorcycle

I still have them and they're in good shape so I'll use them for when it gets cooler out but I bought the Cortech HDX 3 for summer time because they breath a bit better but still offer some protection.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0152CL8K6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I like these so much for summer that I'll most likely buy another pair when the current ones wear out.

Beemer

@Beemer I picked up the Air RR gloves as well.  Very Tight at first but breaking in well plus I need the post count to catch up to you.... Humm now a glove review is comging ;)

• 1 month later...

Alpinestars SMX-6v2 - $270
Pros: Supremely comfortable, good protection
Cons: Neither waterproof nor vented

Alpinestars SMX-6v2 Vented - $270
Pros: Supremely comfortable, good protection
Cons: Vented but it's still a lot of boot to wear for casual riding in hot weather

Alpinestars SMX Plus - $370
Pros: Even more comfort and protection than the SMX-6/v2, waterproof (GoreTex)
Cons: Pricey, warm in hot weather

Lucky for me, sales of the expensive SMX Plus boots were far below expectation meaning that some vendors discounted their inventory (something Alpinestars avoids allowing).  By getting a price-match from Revzilla, I was able to buy the SMX Plus boots last season for just $245 shipped which was significantly lower than any price I could find on the SMX-6v2 boots that I was going to buy. Protection is usually at odds with control feel but the ski-boot style ankle articulation built into the SMX Plus allows very good shifter/brake feel.

For Summer weather, Speed & Strength's "Urge Overkill" waterproof boots (from 2013) were on clearance down from $140 to only $69.  Given the low price, and the exterior combination of perforated leather and mesh fabric panels, it wasn't terribly difficult to vent the plastic membrane liner with a small drill bit. Replacing the standard insole with a $6 cushioned insole, I got an inexpensive and comfortable summer boot with good protection (for a short boot).

I was tortured by the Japanese during the war, Jack. Not a pretty story. Strange thing is they make such bloody good cameras.

• 1 month later...

I commute 50 miles a day. I find that Sidi Fusion Rain were great for riding, walking, looking like a nice dress boot. That's older. The new Sidi Black Rain or Tour boots I find comfortable as described. Low key boots, no toe slider.  I find my Puma Goretex boots are even more comfortable but they don't have a good current model. I forget the model but they're maybe 3-4yrs old. Plain Jane look. I also have an old pair of SMX-2'S? Short, shoe-like half boot style. Comfy but rarely wear them. I don't consider shoe or sneaker style riding wear as any safer, at all, than a pair of regular sneakers. They sit in my closet gathering dust. 

• Global Moderator

I wear a set of vented SMX-3s for commuting, and for anything else ive got a set of Supertech-Rs that i picked up new for just under 300

i have been wearing my smx3s for nearly 3 years now, full 10-12hr days spent in them, and i have yet to have any kind of comfort or manufacturing issue with them

when i laid the bike down in 2016, they took a little impact, but aside from some scuffing of the heel,  the toe sliders and buckle were the only major damage and were like 10 bucks to replace  the supertechs are a pain to get on and off, and theyre a bit hard to walk around in at first.... but they look good, and protection is off the charts as it were

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

Archived