The MT-07 Forum

Am i doing it correctly? First purchases and mods. yours?

Slydog

So, just wanted to share my first purchases being a new owner. I've had the bike since december and I am already addicted. I am the same way with cars. I owned a subaru a couple years back and i had the same problem. But, so far I feel like I've done the right things.

Started off with gear and basics:

1.helmet (Bell DLX qualifier) https://www.bellhelmets.com/powersports/helmets/street/qualifier-dlx-blackout-matte-black 

2. Alpinestar jacket. (not mods but it was my first purchases with the bike) https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/alpinestars-t-gp-plus-r-v2-air-jacket

3. Alpine star gloves https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/alpinestars-celer-gloves

4. a pair of Alpinestar stadium shoes which I love so far. https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/alpinestars-stadium-shoes

5. got these but they don't fit lol. but the material they use is very beefy from just trying to put them on. https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/agv-sport-willow-leather-pants

6. Big ass chain and disc lock for theft.

7. Nelson rigg bike cover.

8. Chain wax

9. Wd 40

bike mods:

1. OES frame sliders

2. OES axel sliders front and rear

3. Windshield https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/mra-double-bubble-racingscreen-windshield-yamaha-fz-07-2015-2016

4. Motodynamic flush turn signals https://www.motodynamic.com/flush-mount-led-front-turn-signals-2014-2016-yamaha-fz-07-fz-09.html

5. yoshimura fender eliminator

6. cyclops LED headlight https://www.cyclopsadventuresports.com/3800-Lumen-H4-LED-Headlight-bulb-_p_83.html

Future mods:

1. m4 slip on (because its cheap and i'm not looking for big gains for anything, just want an aggressive tone)

2. flash tune data link ECU. Will purchase at the same time as exhaust. https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/flash-tune-data-link-ecu-flashing-kit

3. Better tires eventually, not sure what to go with. any suggestions?

Let me know what your first mods were when purchasing a new or used bike

The first mod I got was diapers cuz I shet my pants when I first rode the FZ it was aresome.  My R1 well thats just a perpetual hardon

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

@r1limited Lol this is my first bike ever as well :(. I have to admit i was intimidated as f@#k and still am at times. but i got the right gear and i try to put myself in the best situations to avoid accidents or falling

• Global Moderator

It is great to see that you started with good gear.  Hopefully you will never need it, but if you do you will be glad you spent the money.  

As far as mods go there seems to be an endless selection.  You can cruise around the forum for ways to spend your money 😋.

@mjh937 Yeah, hopefully i won't need to find out if its good gear or not but I'm happy with spending money for extra protection. Especially here in Phoenix where people drive very careless

The bike is serious fun, IMO concentrate on suspension being a first bike I have yet to do this but this sat I hopes to get her flashed.  I dont mind the engine breaking at all, some are disliking, but the bike can be calmed a bit with a flash and suspenders will make the biggest confidence change IMO

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

• Premium Member

Out of all my mods so far Ive been most impressed with the PC-V and a Hordpower filter, its like having a brand new bike. Hordpower unfortunately is no longer a vendor but I'm sure can be easily found.

A lot of members feel the suspension is trash too but I cant comment on this yet as its heavy winter here and my spiffy new front and rear suspension is still in its box awaiting installation. Check out our vendor Bellissimoto for some nice deals and excellent service.

I also went with a Scorpio sr-i900 alarm with pereimetre sensor, no crap to stow or pack around because damn if there isnt enough already to do before getting rolling at least in my case. A tad expensive but IMO worth every penny for the 'good nights sleep' you'll get.

Heck throw on some Denali high intensity led pods too. IMO one can never have enough lights to help you be seen out there. I have 4x denali dm micro mounted on the front forks (controlled by a PMR handlebar dual switch for easy night and day toggling). Again expensive light system but awesome, bullet proof, super bright.

oh and why stop there heh heh.... I highly recommend looking into the Helite airvest. Invaluable piece of kit!

You get what you pay for! Spend once and be merry!

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.          Fuss Life.

@r1limited yea thats what ive heard with the suspension as well. i dont mind the engine braking as much because it makes it easier to stop faster if someone were to pull infront of me. Oh nice i heard the flash is the best thing for the bike. I cant wait. 

@Mr.Puss yea i live in arizona so no winter for me, its actually the complete opposite. The summertime will probably be the hardest time to ride because it gets SOO hot here. When i look to tune my bike ill check out those filters though. Yeah and my car has been broken into before so at night I wake up sometimes thinking someone is going to steal my bike it pisses me off.

Yeah my LED headlight is so f@#kin bright though. People flash me all the time and i don't even have the high beam on. look up the led bulb on youtube. 

The airvest thing freaks me out when i think about it. I feel like it would detonate when im riding and make me crash haha.

Have you guys done tires yet?

Good on you for investing in solid gear for you before dumping your budget on extra bike parts!

It's good to still be intimidated at times. When you get complacent the bike will bite you. 

Congrats! And have fun. 

• Premium Member

I have the cyclops 3800 as well, a really nice upgrade.

I'll take an Alberta winter over an Arizona summer any day of the week. =)

I rode a couple summers here with Dainese pony perf leather pants (and heavy Dainese leather jacket) and It just about killed me. I dont know how you guys do it down there.

If you ever feel like spoiling yourself check out Motoport in California. I ordered a pair of custom tailored Air-Mesh Street Jeans, a seemingly ridiculous price after a few customization options but IMO these are the perfect hot weather pants. Super breathable and utterly indestructible, amazing craftsmanship and warranty. Took me two years to commit as the weak CDN dollar conversion really made it sting but after riding with them Id buy them again without a second thought.

http://www.motoport.com/product/air-mesh-street-jeans/

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.          Fuss Life.

I would say if you're happy with your purchases then you've done the right things although I am a skeptic of any flush mount turn signals.

Beemer

17 hours ago, Mr.Puss said:

I also went with a Scorpio sr-i900 alarm with pereimetre senso

WORD

Have it on the R1 I have stories to tell but wont.  Anyway it works

5 hours ago, Beemer said:

I would say if you're happy with your purchases then you've done the right things although I am a skeptic of any flush mount turn signals.

yea i was thinking about them before i bought them. but they are very bright and i usually am more worried about people behind me then infront of me. i try to make eye contact and make sure they see me before committing 

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, Slydog said:

yea i was thinking about them before i bought them. but they are very bright and i usually am more worried about people behind me then infront of me. i try to make eye contact and make sure they see me before committing 

I've found "eye contact" to be misleading... many times the rider will say " He/she was looking right at me!" right before the driver pulls out because "I never saw him/her!".  Always assume they'll pull out and plan accordingly.  ✌️

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

LED signals are usually bright in the garage, but the real way to check out how bright they are is park it outside in sunlight, walk 50+feet away and look at it.  For some odd reason incandescents in reflectors are decent in sunlight but LEDs take a huge nosedive.  My guess is the reflectors- for some mind-boggling reason they don't set LEDs in reflectors.

• 1 month later...
On 1/18/2018 at 12:52 PM, r1limited said:

WORD

Have it on the R1 I have stories to tell but wont.  Anyway it works

Wait, please tell your stories. I have the same alarm plus GPS.

5 hours ago, M3ridius said:

Wait, please tell your stories. I have the same alarm plus GPS.

You mean the time I bout beat the shet out of a moran at work who sat on the bike and the alarm goes off?  Ya that guy would not or ever walk out that side door anymore, nor did the fu** twat talk to me again.

Or the time I kept pushing the alarm to go off when people were looking at it?

Or the time I forgot to disarm it and it went off while heading out the drive way?

Archived