The MT-07 Forum

Seat too hard

mtalbo

Just got my 2017 FZ-07 5 days ago. It's my first street bike.  Love everything so far except for the driver seat.  Feels like my dirt bikes seat.  Too hard.  Has anyone sent there seat to Americana Soft Seats www.amsss.com   They add gel and memory foam for $180.00.

• Like 1

I must have one calloused butt for all the years I ride.  The FZ seat IMO is a dream compared to a DRZ400sm talk about a 2x6 with carpet yes sir ree I tell you what.  I dunno I just dont get the seat thing, but I also wear bicycle padded shorts for under gear

Edited by r1limited

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

LOL well that's why R1! I can't ride for more than an hour either, without bike shorts on. Someday I will do the seat upgrade but for now, my gel padded bike shorts due quite nicely, at 1/10th cost! 

35 minutes ago, r1limited said:

I must have one calloused butt for all the years I ride.  The FZ seat IMO is a dream compared to a DRZ400sm talk about a 2x6 with carpet yes sir ree I tell you what. 

I heard that. 

My butt saw some soreness when I first got my FZ, but from past experience I knew it wasn't the seats fault. It was the stock bars causing me to lunch in a weird way. Once I put different bars on, and was able to sit comfortably, the butt pain went away. 

Point is, a sore butt isn't always a seat problem. The seat on the FZ is plenty wide to distribute you're weight evenly, IF, you can actually sit on it. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, faffi said:

The seat is actually too soft, which makes it feel hard. Just press on it; very soft, but also thin. 

Yes, the seat is too soft which allows your rear end to sink down and literally touch the seat pan itself.  Im only 150lbs and i notice it after about an hour of riding.  I got the DIY kit from Seat Concepts and it is awesome. Logged around 3,000 miles on it last summer and my ars thanks me.

https://seat-concepts.myshopify.com/collections/yamaha/products/yamaha-2016-fz-07-mt-07

• Like 1

Sounds like a pretty good deal. I went to a local upholsterer and he did the same thing, (he said the foam was too soft, no support) he cut out the foam where your butt makes contact and replaced it with a semi liquid polymer gel. It's like sitting on a water bed because the gel disperses a little but yet it isn't so soft that it doesn't give enough support. I've read about the type of gel the place you mentioned uses and from everything I've read it's the best stuff on the market so I really doubt you can go wrong with them. I must say, if my memory serves me well, there is a place that does the same thing a little cheaper. It's somewhere on the forum.

For the "Do It Yourself" kind of people that have a staple gun and a little know how they can buy the material I went with, cut it to shape (it doesn't leak), fill in where the old foam was and button it up.  Save yourself around $90 or more. This is the stuff I had installed. You can use whatever material you wish, of course.

https://www.amazon.com/Liquid-Polymer-Gel-Sheet-Thick/dp/B00LGCZQZU

• Like 2

Beemer

3 hours ago, faffi said:

The seat is actually too soft, which makes it feel hard. Just press on it; very soft, but also thin. 

It's the same way with saddles (for horses).  I've always ridden a slick (hard leather) seat and never got saddle sore in hours of riding, when I tried a soft "comfort" seat, I was sore in about an hour.   Don't know why that is.

• Premium Member

A long day trip with really painful pressure points , one per cheek, with the factory vinyl covered plywood plank err seat forced me to pony up for a Corbin Gunslinger that I hope to take delivery of later this week. Regardless of  the foam firmness I'm betting it'll be more comfortable just due to it's dished shape to better spread the load from the current single points. I'll keep you all updated with how the Corbin saddle works for me.

• Like 1

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

Gel never did it for me. Thickness did (extra layers). As to size, think bicycle saddle, plus some.  You need proper support for the 'sit bones', IMO. I fitted a 1930s type saddle  (11 springs involved) to a Yamaha TDM - a bit hard but pain free. 

Just do it! 

• Premium Member

Pedal bike shorts, the ones with padding...

• Like 1

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

2 hours ago, DewMan said:

A long day trip with really painful pressure points , one per cheek, with the factory vinyl covered plywood plank err seat forced me to pony up for a Corbin Gunslinger that I hope to take delivery of later this week. Regardless of  the foam firmness I'm betting it'll be more comfortable just due to it's dished shape to better spread the load from the current single points. I'll keep you all updated with how the Corbin saddle works for me.

I cut down my self-made seat on the Virago by about 2 inches, at the same time forming a dish to its shape. Way more comfortable! Rode 10 out of 12 hours without butt sore. I could never see myself endure that on the thicker, flat foam I had before, nor on the MT07; both would/will intrude after an hour and get worse from there.

• Like 1

When I was younger soft seats got me hard...
Wait we are talking about..

Never mind

• Haha 1

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

10 hours ago, rider said:

It's the same way with saddles (for horses).  I've always ridden a slick (hard leather) seat and never got saddle sore in hours of riding, when I tried a soft "comfort" seat, I was sore in about an hour.   Don't know why that is.

It's most likely because it's too soft and doesn't support well which affects other muscles that are now trying to make up for the loss of support and that causes aches and pain in other places. A thin, firm layer of foam would probably help more than a thicker, soft layer of it. It's like my latest mattress, it's suppose to be a firm but it's too soft on top and allows me to sink in too much which causes me aches and pains. Bad support.

• Like 1

Beemer

3 minutes ago, Beemer said:

It's most likely because it's too soft and doesn't support well which affects other muscles that are trying to make up for the loss of support. A thin, firm layer of foam would probably help more than a thicker, soft layer of it.

OK we are not talking about motorcycle seats

Even the saddle on my 16 year old R100RS BMW, that was so worn out, I was sitting on the metal edges, was more comfortable than the POS saddle on the FZ.

It's my one huge complaint about this bike and something I've spent far too much time and money trying to change for the better. . In nearly 5 decades of riding, don't think I've owned a bike with a worse saddle. In their quest to make it easy to reach the ground, they made it to narrow in front and too thin everywhere. At 5'5" with a 28"inseam, another inch higher/wider would not have been a problem for me.    

There's a reason why Yamaha redesigned the newest ones to have a completely different shaped seat. Wonder if it would fit? Looks like they've rounded the edges that dig into the backs of my legs. 

Just had another look at the 2018 MT07. Looks like Yamaha also flattened that plastic trim bit that creates a huge - useless hump on the tank, making it hard to keep a tankbag from flopping about.

That new seat shape will help - still looks pretty thin in back though.

• Like 1

I have a Corbin and put about 10,000 miles on it last year.  I was also able to complete a Saddle Sore 1000 around lake Superior last June 2017(A SS1K is 1,000 mi in 24 hrs).  It took about 3 weeks to "break-in".  Unfortunately, I totaled the bike last August but there was no damage to the seat so I kept it.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, harryshaft said:

I have a Corbin and put about 10,000 miles on it last year.  I was also able to complete a Saddle Sore 1000 around lake Superior last June 2017(A SS1K is 1,000 mi in 24 hrs).  It took about 3 weeks to "break-in".  Unfortunately, I totaled the bike last August but there was no damage to the seat so I kept it.

DewMan ^

• Like 1

Beemer

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, harryshaft said:

FYI: There's a guy who just posted a "WTB Corbin" thread a few minutes ago. Not sure if you're looking to sell yours. Hopefully he's willing to spend more than $50 to get one. 😄

I'm taking delivery of a new Gunfighter for the FZ-07 tomorrow. Your success has me feeling better about spending this much on a seat. I'm hoping I'm as happy with mine as you seem to have been with yours. Looking forward to longer, more comfortable rides on my FZ. ✌️

P.S. My condolences on totaling your FZ-07. Hopefully you were not totaled as well.

Edited by DewMan

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

19 minutes ago, DewMan said:

I'm taking delivery of a new Gunfighter for the FZ-07 tomorrow.

Congrats! 

I've been eyeing these for a while. Would you mind taking a measurement or two when you get a chance? I'd love to know the difference in seat height (from the ground) and the distance from seat to peg vs stock. I can't believe Corbin doesn't offer this spec on their site. 

• Premium Member
16 minutes ago, shinyribs said:

Congrats! 

I've been eyeing these for a while. Would you mind taking a measurement or two when you get a chance? I'd love to know the difference in seat height (from the ground) and the distance from seat to peg vs stock. I can't believe Corbin doesn't offer this spec on their site. 

You should have looked harder. 😉 Under the "Notes tab" for the Gunfighter it lists the "Approx seat height: 31.5". If you still need additional measurements let me know and I'll see what I can do. 👍

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

E

4 minutes ago, DewMan said:

You should have looked harder. 😉 Under the "Notes tab" for the Gunfighter it lists the "Approx seat height: 31.5". If you still need additional measurements let me know and I'll see what I can do. 👍

lol. Yes. 

I did see that, but that's also less than the specs for a stock bike, which is 31.7" Their seat looks taller than stock when using their side-by-side comparison picture, so I didn't put much stock in that 31.5" spec. I should've been more clear. I trust your measurements over Corbin's. ;)