The MT-07 Forum

Wasn't sure where to post this. The Joy of 07.

gregjet

For the first time in a very long while, I was able to get a long ride ( two actually) on the 07. Since Sally ( my partner) lost her confidence after 40 years of riding and sold her bike ( KTM690 Duke), I haven't had a riding partner so I haven't ridden much.

Sally had to go to Brisbane ( 430km) to her daughter's place for a week and I only wanted to go for a few days . Stuff to do. So I decided to ride down and back. Took ages to find everything for a cruise because it had been so long. Click on the Givis and the tank bag . Mobile  and headset in the 12v outlets. check proper pressures.  And off

Because the tank is tiny, I figured on a fuel stop about half way. Any excuse for a Goomeri chicken and salad sandwhich.

Mid Summer so I was expecting hot , but the first half to the stop was bliss. Perfect cool weather good , clear skies not much traffic on the inland route.  And the motor. OH! the motor! The 07's motor is just georgeous. So smooth, easy to accelerate, slow maintain speed. SOOOOOOO loverly. I had completely forgotten how superb this motor is once smoothed out.

Then left the fuel stop and rode into hell. So hot my phone stopped working. It just shut down from heat. The bike on the other hand didn't miss a beat. Still smooth and responsive without a hint of overheating. 40 degrees C (104F in the shade) when I got to the destination.

On the way home , the most perfect cool conditions and clear skies. The 07 just flitted along doinf exactly what was asked of it instantly. One of the best rides I have ever had.

860km and I thank my Seat concepts seat for it's supporting role. 3 fills for not much more than 10bucks a time. Sorry to the big bike fans, but there is no convincing me that this bike isn't perfectly suited for the big loop ( around the outside Australia for the non Aussies). About 15000km. Might just do it.

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

Glad someone is getting to ride!  That heat sounds miserable, though. I got to ride 3 times this past week for short amounts, an hour yesterday, but that's tops for winter in Germany.  My feet got cold near the end as it was in the 30s and I didn't do anything special boot/sock-wise.  I ride solo mostly.  It doesn't bother me at all, although I usually put out invites for others because it is nice to share the experience.  I say go for the big loop, what do you have to lose?  Agree, that the 07 is capable of just about anything.  I hope I can take a week long ride next year before I leave Europe, would like to get a little farther than my usual 4 day trip can reach.

• Premium Member

Always very happy to see people enjoying this great bike regardless of weather extremes.

On a side note, just recently it was recorded that we were one of the coldest places on earth! We did have a slight Dec. thaw and I actually saw a trio of hardcore riders brave the deadly gravel and intense cold, my hats off to them. Hope they stayed upright all the way home. Gotta say I was also tempted but I elected to stay indoors in my boxers and drink boozy coffees. Brrrr.

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.          Fuss Life.

heartofperformance
10 hours ago, gregjet said:

For the first time in a very long while, I was able to get a long ride ( two actually) on the 07. Since Sally ( my partner) lost her confidence after 40 years of riding and sold her bike ( KTM690 Duke), I haven't had a riding partner so I haven't ridden much.

Sally had to go to Brisbane ( 430km) to her daughter's place for a week and I only wanted to go for a few days . Stuff to do. So I decided to ride down and back. Took ages to find everything for a cruise because it had been so long. Click on the Givis and the tank bag . Mobile  and headset in the 12v outlets. check proper pressures.  And off

Because the tank is tiny, I figured on a fuel stop about half way. Any excuse for a Goomeri chicken and salad sandwhich.

Mid Summer so I was expecting hot , but the first half to the stop was bliss. Perfect cool weather good , clear skies not much traffic on the inland route.  And the motor. OH! the motor! The 07's motor is just georgeous. So smooth, easy to accelerate, slow maintain speed. SOOOOOOO loverly. I had completely forgotten how superb this motor is once smoothed out.

Then left the fuel stop and rode into hell. So hot my phone stopped working. It just shut down from heat. The bike on the other hand didn't miss a beat. Still smooth and responsive without a hint of overheating. 40 degrees C (104F in the shade) when I got to the destination.

On the way home , the most perfect cool conditions and clear skies. The 07 just flitted along doinf exactly what was asked of it instantly. One of the best rides I have ever had.

860km and I thank my Seat concepts seat for it's supporting role. 3 fills for not much more than 10bucks a time. Sorry to the big bike fans, but there is no convincing me that this bike isn't perfectly suited for the big loop ( around the outside Australia for the non Aussies). About 15000km. Might just do it.

I am commuting to work daily on my HO, around 152km round trip, rain or shine.

Quoting: "I had completely forgotten how superb this motor is once smoothed out."

How do you smoothed the motor out?

Cheers :D

Reflash mostly. Cleans up a number of sins. . Most worthwhile IMHO

6 hours ago, heartofperformance said:

I am commuting to work daily on my HO, around 152km round trip, rain or shine.

Quoting: "I had completely forgotten how superb this motor is once smoothed out."

How do you smoothed the motor out?

Cheers :D

This Wrinkle1.jpg.b482a10e4bdb83ec77c61c5a821fba30.jpg + This Iron.jpg.8d168aed4b6609d54aeee32cd21e64ec.jpg

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

That's the spirit, man! My last trip with DewMan was very similar, engine was silky smooth, pulled like a mule and chasing the sun to get back home before sunset was something I had never imagined happening but it did and it was a blast passing everyone at 85 mph. and more to do it. You should take that 15,000 k cruise asap. You may only get one chance to do it .... I should do that around Florida. 😍

BTW, what is Goomeri chicken? Is that an Aboriginal dish or just a name for a particular Aussie recipe?

Edit: I see now (I think) Goomeri is just a place in Queensland that makes good chicken. 😉

Beemer

Beener. There is a service station on the highway in Goomeri that makes legendary chicken and salad sandwhiches. You can tell by the number of semis parked out the front...

R1, a pants press works better, but getting the 07 onto the pressing deck is problematic. Keeps falling off... Be nice if that's all you needed to iron out the wrinkles in a motor though.

Will be interesting to ride the MT07 again once the winter is gone. Now my Virago 1100 feels pretty strong and urgent, but I know that after the first spring ride on the MT, the Virago will feel quite flat and lazy.

heartofperformance
16 hours ago, gregjet said:

Reflash mostly. Cleans up a number of sins. . Most worthwhile IMHO

Doesn't necessarily must be done with new aftermarket exhaust yes?
Reflash/custom dyno-tuning can be done on the stock exhaust on its own I hope(Cleans up a number of sins)?

Because I love the low-profile sound and the neat, R6 looks of the stockers :D

Cheers!

• Premium Member
26 minutes ago, heartofperformance said:

Doesn't necessarily must be done with new aftermarket exhaust yes?
Reflash/custom dyno-tuning can be done on the stock exhaust on its own I hope(Cleans up a number of sins)?

even the stock exhaust benefits from a reflash... the reflash lets the motor run far smoother without the goobermint sapping its life to make em happy...

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

7 hours ago, gregjet said:

Beener. There is a service station on the highway in Goomeri that makes legendary chicken and salad sandwhiches. You can tell by the number of semis parked out the front...

R1, a pants press works better, but getting the 07 onto the pressing deck is problematic. Keeps falling off... Be nice if that's all you needed to iron out the wrinkles in a motor though.

lol, Beener!  😆  C'mon now, just cause I lived in Texas? Do you mean chicken salad sandwiches??? I've never heard of a salad sandwich but then again I'd never heard of Goomeri until today.

Beemer

To be pedantic: a chicken and salad sandwich has a layer of chicken then salad on top. A chicken salad sandwhich is a sandwhich with a chicken salad on it. Way less chicken and much more salad. I prefer the former.

Archived