The MT-07 Forum

Street Triple trade in information

firstyammerha

firstyammerha

I trolled my gray/dayglow wheeled 2016 with 1100 miles on the clock by the local Triumph dealer and was offered a difference of $8300. This was for the base S model of the current Street Triple. When you've got a bike adored by the cycling public, don't expect any deals😲

firstyammerha

Think I'll look at the Ducati 797 soon. At another dealership that I've bought from and is more willing to deal. Or I might just buy a 300cc to try for awhile. BMW G310R catches my eye. Selling is such a hassle...

• Premium Member

FZ-09 or FJ-09...at least a leftover FJ-09 can be built to you via mods for cheaper than a brand new FJ-09... 

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

I would expect at least triple what I paid for it,
The fun facts on trade in's

First, do the research, 100% you will always get more private sale to the rigth buyer, ya just hold your bottom line target numbers you want.  Hint it best be worth it, nothing pisses me off more when I hear oh its show room to find a pile of shet

Second, look through cycletrader, craigslist, KBB for retail on the bike for an avergae private sale bike then judge your numbers based on that (Remember) sti all the goodies off you put on and replace with the stock, it dont matter what type of bling you got, buyers dont care

Third, check out dealers with the same or approxamate year or equal bike.

Never expect a fair deal from a dealer trade in, they will give you way below KBB (Kelly Blue Book) to maximize profit.  If they buy it for a buck, they sell it for 5

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

I have always sold my motorcycles through a consignment dealer.  They charge around $600, but it is worth it.  Selling on craigslist is too much a hassle.  They will sometimes get a better price than you selling on your own, as they can finance on the spot. 

firstyammerha

You guys are right. I placed an add for it on this forum. The Triumph dealer shocked me with a reduced price of $7000 and the FZ yesterday. I've traded/bought a couple of bikes from him in recent years-I pointed that out to him-but in the past he didn't like to `deal'. Really surprised me-there must have been a management change or he checked his files and saw I was telling him the truth about my history.If I show up with some $$$$,maybe he'll come off even more. We'll see.  

2 hours ago, firstyammerha said:

You guys are right. I placed an add for it on this forum. The Triumph dealer shocked me with a reduced price of $7000 and the FZ yesterday. I've traded/bought a couple of bikes from him in recent years-I pointed that out to him-but in the past he didn't like to `deal'. Really surprised me-there must have been a management change or he checked his files and saw I was telling him the truth about my history.If I show up with some $$$$,maybe he'll come off even more. We'll see.  

Or he needed that end of the month commision check to make numbers :)

Its called flooring, dealers no matter if cars or bikes get bikes on very reduced loans from lenders.  They may float a loan to purchase said amount of bikes with a time frame to make full payment or % goes up aka flooring, so they do not want to pay that extra $ as this costs more in the long run to keep bikes on the floor.

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

don't cry too hard into your coffee. At least you didn't buy a Z900. One year in and dealers are trying to get rid of them at 6700 brand new. 

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
firstyammerha

You probably won't see anyone selling or trading their new Stripple anytime soon. I'm waffling over which way to go here-buy a 300CC, mod the FZ or get with the dealer hard on a new Stripple. Don't know, tough decision. 

easy answer. Buy the 300 and take it racing. Do some daily-riding mods to the FZ. Buy the STripple close of the season.

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
firstyammerha

Update:The dealer gave me a really good price last week-$6000 plus the FZ07. This was close enough to me to let him know I'd like to ride the Stripple and let him check out my trade. So I went to the shop yesterday and he gave my bike a cursory once over and led me inside to the Triumph section of the shop. He sells Honda and Suzuki too. I should have seen that he really wasn't interested because the model S with abs that I wanted was back in the rows of model R's and RS's. It hadn't even been serviced or pulled out to the parking lot for a test ride. After making small talk while sitting on the Trumpet, he said that he would get it serviced so I could ride it today. It kinda turned me off to the deal so I told him that I didn't like the width of the tank and ergo's of the bike and left the dealership. It seems like there is more of this type "gamesmanship" in bike sales lately. Think I'll just stick with the FZ and mod it lightly.

Archived