The MT-07 Forum

grip-heater controller (DIY)

stev74

I recently finished a smaller electronic project. A heat controller with a simple "handle-bar integrated" button.
In the end its integrated like the (very expensive) original Yamaha heated grips.

For the grips itself I use here the Oxford because they were already mounted.
On my XTZ750 I have very cheap ones from Daytona which I like even more from the touching. 
They are a bit softer.
If one dies I can just replace it without buying again the whole set from Yamaha and I think my controller is even better than from Yamaha.

You can control it with a simple push button with an build-in LED which is mounted under the right control-unit.
One short push it turns it on or increases the heat-level, one longer push it decreases the heat level.
There are 4 heat-levels.

The control unit can be connected directly to the battery and has, like the Oxford grip-heaters, an automatic shut-down function if the engine stops.
Of course I wanted to beat the Oxford, especially the stand-by current.
The oxford needs about 50uA (which is also good enough) but I could drop it to about 0,5uA (500nA).
So the battery would in any case die of age before getting sucked empty.

There is also a possibility to connect 4 external LEDs to signal the current heat-level.

Hope you'll like it.

ciao,
Stefan

That is a very nice unit you've come up with, I almost bought the Yamaha grip heaters for Christmas but like the looks and function of yours much better. Any chance you'll be mfg. any for sale? Mark

Archived