The MT-07 Forum

OEM Belly Pan

ddipaola

I really like the look of the FZ-07 Yamaha belly pan, but I can't find any purchase links anywhere. I also can't find any part numbers for it. Can anyone provide these details?

image.jpg

Thanks for the info guys!

I guess the main reason for my interest in a pan would be keeping the headers and belly free from stone marks. 

Would any of you say this is an issue without a belly pan or?

I live on a gravel road. My driveway itself is a half mile of gravel. I travel lots and lots of dirt and gravel roads in my area. I've yet to own a bike (maybe the FZ will be different) that suffered from stone rash. 

I did put a stone guard on y radiator, though. And I'll also sort out a guard for the coolant reservoir. I haven't cared for the looks of any of the coolant reservoirs guards I've seen so far. 

The only reason I looked into it was because I wanted to do some track days and the track near me wants you have a belly pan in the rare event you're leaking oil.

However, most tracks don't care if you have a pan. If I do end up buying a belly plan, I'll probably go for the ermax. I think it looks the best and matches the scoops and look of the bike.

I could see why you'd want to protect your oil filter from rocks but worst case, you'll realize it's damaged and get a new oil change. And there are reasonably priced radiator guards out there now that should protect against rocks.

My bikes Yoshi headers looked and felt sand blasted and the front of the engine was dirty when I bought it used, so I'd say it's an issue. I added a Fenda extenda (bonded on) and find that the front of the engine now stays clean. When the front wheel throws dirty water on the headers and a blacked out engine the dried results look pretty bad, not to mention all the little stone nicks. I like the short fender look but if you add the extender and make sure you follow the 'stock fenders radius'  then it doesn't look bad and is very effective. Installed poorly...ugh. To my eyes, it looks like the belly pan may help redirect some of the debris upward and will do little for the stuff the short fender fails to stop. Just my opinion.

shinyribs...I'm with you on the rad overflow bottle guards...didn't like any I'd seen nor the looks of the bottle period. I switched to a waterless coolant (very little expansion) and installed a mini catch bottle hidden under the rt. side radiator shield, 3000 miles later and no issues. I'm old school and like to see the shape of an engine not all the accessories strapped to it.

Most belly pans are cosmetic and won't pass scrutaneering for race days. They have to be fully capable of holding oil or water from the radiator/engine.

You need a proper enclosed one. Sometimes you can use a commercial one as a base and glass up an enclosure.

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

I have the Pyramid belly pan.  To me it's got the best looks of all the ones I've seen.  It's about $250 on Amazon and ships from England I think.

https://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-Belly-Spoiler-Gloss-22136B/dp/B00XE5FCYC

Like @gregjetsaid, if a track requires a belly pan for fluid leaks, then they want a solid bottom.  None of these pans as far as I know are enclosed and wouldn't pass tech.

Airtech makes a universal race pan, but I'm not sure how they would fit the FZ/MT 07.  They do say they require cutting/fitting.

http://www.airtech-streamlining.com/vintage/vintagebellypan.htm

There's a thread on it here:

16 hours ago, gregjet said:

Most belly pans are cosmetic and won't pass scrutaneering for race days. They have to be fully capable of holding oil or water from the radiator/engine.

You need a proper enclosed one. Sometimes you can use a commercial one as a base and glass up an enclosure.

What he said. My Ermax belly pan is just that, cosmetic and I took mine off my bike. Not that there was anything wrong with the pan, it looked great but I missed seeing those colorful, twisty header pipes more than anything. * Also, it's easier to get the oil filter off without a belly pan and easier to see the oil level in the window. Not to mention the pan may deflect small stones, etc. but it may deflect them into the upper part of the header or the radiator. So where do you want your dings?

Beemer

Belly pans are one of the easiest things you can make in resin re-enforced plastics. If you can already work in glass( inter ailaia) very easy. If not it is a great place to start.

Basically you are just making a long thin pan to hold fluid with no top. If you are track or racing , glassing is a good skill to develop. Best if you can enlist a friend with experience to SHOW you and guide you.

Sheet polyureathane ( even insulation grade) is easy to shape and easy to get to use for a male mold. You could even go the whole hog and make a female mould so you can make replacements. Don't use poly styrene if you are making a mould for polyester resins though ( it dissolves). Polystyrene is fine for epoxy but harder to fine shape.

Here is a unrepentant showing off of my fav one I made for the ER6N made in carbon fibre. Nowdays I would make it in carbon fibre/innegra as it is slightly cheaper and tougher ( not stronger but doesn't shatter under extreme load). Innegra doesn't smooth so HAS to go on the inside or between the cf layers.

er6sale (4).JPG

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

Archived