The MT-07 Forum

Helmet advice needed

faffi

I am looking for a new helmet, but it has proven very difficult to find one that fits perfectly. This is what I have learned, both recently and over decades:

SHOEI - pure pain. They are too narrow at the sides of the top of my head. I cannot even keep on on for 5 seconds, not even one that's too large.

ARAI - acceptable, but tend to hurt around the temples if tight enough. Loud.

NOLAN - not exactly luxurious. Loud. But OK to wear. Tend to sit low over the brows.

AGV - Comfy enough, but will drop over the brow when correctly sized otherwise. Not great for wearing glasses, which I must wear.

SHARK - Great for glasses, comfy if I use one size too large, but like Shoei - to a much, much lesser degree - hurt on the sides of the top of my head when the correct size is used.

SCHUBERT - feels too narrow on top and too wide at the bottom. Not comfy for me, but not painful, either.

HJC - interior feels hard, and like Schubert a bit wide at the bottom and narrow on top, but less pronounced.

CABERG - impossible to wear glasses, interior feels a little hard and seems like it will be loud because there is too much room around the ears and the helmet is a little wide at the bottom.

Most helmets are too tight around my cheeks, and tend to bite myself. Literally. Sizes listed also vary a lot. I need a Small Shark helmet, a Medium CABERG and a MediumLarge AGV, for instance. But that is irrelevant as long as I can try it on for size. 

Based upon this information, can you recommend a brand of helmet I should try to search out? A helmet that is, I presume, for a rather round scull seen from the top, not egg shaped.

phanomenal07

You can try one of the helmet that is most comfy to you then change out the pads to fit you best

I used to wear Shoei helmets, but the recent ones also cause me enough discomfort, I want them off as soon as I try to squeeze in. 

yep, swapping out cheek pads might be necessary to get that perfect fit. 

If the Arai you tried was the Signet variety - that helmet is pretty narrow. Arai does(did) make a hat with a rounder interior - the RX-Q. That helmet fits me better than any helmet I've worn - going on 5 decades - almost like they used my noggin for the mold. Unfortunately, the RX-Q is gone from their line-up. 

You might consider a try with the Quantum-X  or DT-X as those are also a bit rounder in shape. I'm kinda surprised you found the Arai helmet loud inside. W/o a fairing or windshield on a bike, my RX-Q is quiet enough for me to forgo any hearing protection - something I almost never do. 

This is an old article, but might also help give you an idea of what to look at next  https://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-helmet-reviews-by-internal-shape/

I wear a Kali Catalyst Carbon helmet, really lightweight, comes with 2 cheek pads, narrow and wide.  Made for slightly round heads.  I don't know how glasses would fit, don't wear them.

https://kali-moto.myshopify.com/

I would really recommend you do a little helmet shaping.  Of course, you are not supposed to, but it is the only way to get a proper fit.  Carve out just a little foam here and there until it fits just right.  Also wear a comfortable helmet liner.

Thanks for the tips, lads. I have altered the foam bits before, but I am not willing to have a go at the harder insulation. I'll check out the Arais mentioned and see if the Kali helmets are imported to this country.

Go to Cycle Gear (if you have one in the area) or any shop that carries the helmets you are looking at.  Try them on for fit and feel.  Decide which one fits you the best and feels the most comfortable.  The helmet safety limites are pretty much the same, the composites used and design of those helmets are the key and cost.  I chose ARAI simply because it fit the best and felt the most comfortable. When I mean fit I mean, How it sits on my head, how my ears feel in the cups, chin strap, pressure on forhead blah blah blah more importantly is vision, can I see a good picture with the lid on me noodle?  Side Views (Peripheral), Does the visor obscure side and forward viewing, etc...

A question I ask is: if you head is worth $100 buy a hunnerd buck lid, if its worth more buy thelid you feel best in.  Essentially money should not be a factor until you decide which you want, then find the bargains.  Hint, a Two year old Helmet on Clearance is not a bad helmet, them DOT, SHELL standards are not a Best Used By Stamp  You get some great deals on last years design and or discontinued Clearance Sales

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

Messing with the expanded foam - well, do you feel lucky? 

I gulped at the price tag, but after trying on countless helmets that did not feel good, when I slid the RX-Q on and it was perfectly snug everywhere w/o pressure points, there was just no more decision to be made beyond which credit card to pull from the wallet. 

You might call Revzilla with that list of helmets that did not feel right and ask their opinion. They know these helmets as well as anyone and might recommend one that's not crossed yer path. 

I don't know of anyone that makes a helmet for heads like Charlie Browns head (big and round). The only reason I suggest this helmet (it's not round) is because I don't see it in your list and it has a pump system that inflates/deflates the cheek pads for a more custom fit, rather than wonder if the foam provided is going to do the trick or wear out. It's not the quietest helmet but it does have some nice features for a fair price.

https://www.amazon.com/Scorpion-EXO-1100-Sixty-Six-Helmet-X-Small/dp/B00FH4DGSW/ref=sr_1_9?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1515341433&sr=1-9&keywords=scorpion+exo+1100+helmet

https://www.amazon.com/Scorpion-EXO-1100-Street-Motorcycle-Helmet/dp/B005HJDJVG/ref=sr_1_5?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1515341433&sr=1-5&keywords=scorpion+exo+1100+helmet

Beemer

6 hours ago, rick said:

Messing with the expanded foam - well, do you feel lucky? 

No, just the foam in the liner / cheek pads.

I found a new dealer in town that should have a much bigger selection of Arai helmets - I will visit them and try various out. I am not concerned about price, just how well the helmet fit. You cannot buy - or wear legally - a helmet not approved by the EEC, which is arguably the strictest in the world. A cheap helmet can be safer than a costly one, but if the helmet doesn't fit it will not protect well. And if it gives pain, it can lead to an accident because you cannot focus on anything but the pain. So I only have one goal; find a helmet that is snug yet comfy. 

1 hour ago, faffi said:

I found a new dealer in town that should have a much bigger selection of Arai helmets - I will visit them and try various out. I am not concerned about price, just how well the helmet fit. 

Sweet. You'll know pretty quick when the right shape lid is in place, but walk about the store a bit with it on to give it a bot of time to allow anything ugly to show. 

• Premium Member

You didn't include Bell helmets? Are they not available in your area?

Recently I tried the MIPS one at a motorcycle show and it was pretty nice. The race series was good too. 

I also have an AGV k5 but their other helmets (anything bigger in price) feel better. 

I didn't like shoei at all when I tried it on at the motorcycle show. 

Faffi, don't write off all Shoei helmets because one didn't fit your head. Their RF1200 fits like it was made for me, but all of their other models feel horrible. 

Cheek pads seem much stiffer on helmets nowadays, but they break in quickly. 

Speaking of "cheap" ece rated lids, I absolutely love my LS2. That brand in general fits my head shape well ( medium-long oval). HJC used to be more round oval, but their helmets don't fit me anymore. They've gone more round. Do you know what headshape you are hunting for?

I currently have three helmets that I vouch for being eyeglass friendly, if it helps:

LS2 Pioneer

Kabuto Kamui

Scorpion AT950

All of those are ECE rated IIRC.

13 hours ago, shinyribs said:

Faffi, don't write off all Shoei helmets because one didn't fit your head. Their RF1200 fits like it was made for me, but all of their other models feel horrible. 

Shoei seems to be changing the internal shapes of their helmets. I had an RF800 for a long time. when it was done, I put on an RF900 and it was terrible for me. I replaced the 800 with an RF1000 and that was fine for a bunch of years before buying the RX-Q Arai. The RF1100 was worse for me than the rest of Shoeis lineup a few years ago, but none fit me anymore.  Haven't tried the 1200. Maybe by the time I need another lid, the RF1400 will fit me, lol.

Ya just gotta keep trying them on until ya find the right shape to fit the noggin.

I wonder when they will make a helmet for Pin Heads or Dick Heads 🤔

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

• Premium Member
bornagainbiker
10 hours ago, r1limited said:

I wonder when they will make a helmet for Pin Heads or Dick Heads 🤔

This probably isn't what you had in mind, but it is a pinhead motorcycle helmet:

pinhead-helmet.jpg.6d2cb1754071d004b6dda7c00669c6f4.jpg

Give Respect To Get Respect   https://jeff-galbraith.pixels.com/

On 1/8/2018 at 10:39 AM, r1limited said:

I wonder when they will make a helmet for Pin Heads or Dick Heads 1f914.png

https://www.condom-sizes.org/condom-sizes/condom-sizes

*warn* don't click the link if you don't want to delve into the topic!

Unfortunately the smallest is only denoted as <2" so given that most pins are 1/8" or less, I don't think there is a solution.

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

On 1/7/2018 at 6:06 AM, faffi said:

I am looking for a new helmet, but it has proven very difficult to find one that fits perfectly. This is what I have learned, both recently and over decades:

SHOEI - pure pain. They are too narrow at the sides of the top of my head. I cannot even keep on on for 5 seconds, not even one that's too large.

ARAI - acceptable, but tend to hurt around the temples if tight enough. Loud.

NOLAN - not exactly luxurious. Loud. But OK to wear. Tend to sit low over the brows.

AGV - Comfy enough, but will drop over the brow when correctly sized otherwise. Not great for wearing glasses, which I must wear.

SHARK - Great for glasses, comfy if I use one size too large, but like Shoei - to a much, much lesser degree - hurt on the sides of the top of my head when the correct size is used.

SCHUBERT - feels too narrow on top and too wide at the bottom. Not comfy for me, but not painful, either.

HJC - interior feels hard, and like Schubert a bit wide at the bottom and narrow on top, but less pronounced.

CABERG - impossible to wear glasses, interior feels a little hard and seems like it will be loud because there is too much room around the ears and the helmet is a little wide at the bottom.

Most helmets are too tight around my cheeks, and tend to bite myself. Literally. Sizes listed also vary a lot. I need a Small Shark helmet, a Medium CABERG and a MediumLarge AGV, for instance. But that is irrelevant as long as I can try it on for size. 

Based upon this information, can you recommend a brand of helmet I should try to search out? A helmet that is, I presume, for a rather round scull seen from the top, not egg shaped.

I pray you never wander onto my sales floor while I'm at work.

1 minute ago, faffi said:

You are not alone 😋

lol. You are the kind of customer who will fight for the best discount, return the item two days later and use up $200 of customer service attempts on an item that has $50 in Gross profit. But then be a lifelong loyal customer so phuck it, take good care of him. 

Not at all. I rarely ask for discounts, but I may not go shopping if there isn't a discount going on. OTOH, I do appreciate skill/knowledge and customer service and, as you point out, will be very loyal when I on the rare occasion get what I consider reasonable support. And I am willing to pay more to get it. Some will say I am unreasonable, others that I place the kind of demands everybody should expect. So I do my groceries where the fruit and veggies are always fresh, shelves well stuffed and the personnel friendly. I buy my car where they are honest, welcoming and skilled and actually listen when I have an issue instead of telling me "they all do that." Etc.

Hence when I am looking for a helmet now, since I have finally learned  how snug they should be AND utterly comfy at the same time, I will take the time to find it. If it cost me 300 or 1000 bucks is not important as long as it is right. But of course, if the 300 dollar lid feels as nice as the 1000 dollar thing, you know where this cheap bastard will put his cash 😄

• Premium Member
bornagainbiker

What is the difference between cheap and frugal you ask? 

Well, cheap is when you say: I really like motorcycling, but it is too expensive, so I just won't ride. 

Frugal is when you say: I really like motorcycling, so I will make cuts in other areas so that I can afford to ride.

Yes, frugal is much better--be frugal.

Give Respect To Get Respect   https://jeff-galbraith.pixels.com/

Archived