The MT-07 Forum

Stock bar height vs lower bar

phanomenal07

phanomenal07

What are the pros and cons of lowering the handlebars? Im thinking about getting the renthal street ultra low. Does it increase handling of the motorcycle? Kinda wanna make a list in my head to see if it’s worth it. 

1 hour ago, phanomenal07 said:

What are the pros and cons of lowering the handlebars? Im thinking about getting the renthal street ultra low. Does it increase handling of the motorcycle? Kinda wanna make a list in my head to see if it’s worth it. 

I went with the Renthal Lows. They're a little wider, and I feel like they give better overall control and comfort over the stock bars. I'm a big guy though, so take your "wingspan" into consideration.

• Premium Member
cornerslider

I never really liked the stock bars.... They always felt too narrow to me. I didn't really want lower, but I definitely wanted WIDER. After a lot of research on this forum, I was torn between the Renthal "low" & the "ultra-low". If I remember right, some people had to trim the ends of the bars off a little bit to get the control cables to reach without binding (on the Renthal med/low bars). It seems like most people really like the ultra-low, so I thought I'd start there. All the control cables worked out PERFECT. My first impression was they felt too low, and put my body position too far forward. Then I rode it, and It felt very different- but after 5-10 minutes, I KNEW that I made the right choice! I'm 5'-6", with a 32" inseam, so I'm a bit "vertically challenged". That being said, I'm plenty comfortable with the ultra-low. To answer you question about improving the handling, the bars won't do that. What they will do, is make your steering inputs more easier (wider/lower = more leverage). It will give you the "illusion" of better handling through better feedback (IMO). FYI: your bar end weights will NOT work with the Renthals. I ordered some Renthal aluminum bar ends- very easy to install, and look nice too! How that helps you out. I wouldn't trade my ultra-lows for anything!!! 😎

""W.O.T. until you see god, then brake"

Renthal ultra lows will help put a bit more weight on the front for more feel in cornering ( especially on this bike). They also have an antivibration core that helps damp tingles ( to the point on the 07 where bar weights are pretty well unnecessary.

HOWEVER!!!! the bars you use should be the ones that fit you body and hand angles. That way you will be more in control and be able to ride for longer with less discomfort.

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

I honestly think it is what you are comfortable with.  I went with a set of Tracker bars I have used (EMGO Part # 23-125 Width = 33" Rise = 3.75" Pullback = 4.25" Center = 4.75", 7/8s)

For me the bike is not a bike I want to lean forward with but more upright and ride comfort is making it feel as a Dirt Tracker.  I have a R1, so I don't need another low bar feeling bike.  As stated it is preference, and I also look at how the bike is initially setup and what I want.  The Stock bars freakin suck IMO for me.

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

Archived