The MT-07 Forum

Engine Getting Up To 210o, Fan Not Turning On

artwood

Hey guys,

I got my 07 a few weeks ago and haven't really been able to do much riding. Since it's been below freezing, I've been starting it and letting it warm up once a week in my garage. I notice the fan won't come on and I let the temp climb to 210o before shutting it off. What temp should the fan be coming on? Is this something the dealer should look at? Thanks in advance.

• Premium Member

Its best to pull the battery and bring it inside and winterizing the bike rather than letting it idle

• Like 1

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

Yeah, the factory setting is that the fan kicks in at 220 degrees.

You can always get your ECU flashed by 2WDW and one of the quality of life changes is the fan kicks in at 195 degrees.

You do you and I'll do me.

• 2 years later...
  • Premium Member

Mine is older, about 5 years old. I just took it up to 120 and the fan didnt kick on. As I write this im wondering if it needs to be OVER 12o.  The reason I am testing it is because the bike is so old, so many miles, and I am checking all the systems before a cross country trip,. part of which is thru the southern deserts. EDIT: I have learned a few things. First of all it seems that if the motor is off, the fan decides NOT to engage, which makes sense since the engine is not circulating the coolant. In my test, Knowing the temp rises AFTER the engine is shut off, I did this to raise the temp over 220. After my post I went back and ensured my engine was STILL RUNNING, and it did turn on when it rose above 220. Not sure if it was AT, or OVER 220, but close enough, the key thing I learned is that the bikes CPU is smart enough to realize NOT to initiate the fan if the temp threshold is reached with the engine off, and key still on. If the fan IS engaged when the threshold is reached it WILL turn on, and it will remain on whether the engine is running or not. I have not tested if it will turn itself off with the engine off at some lower temp threshold, but think about it. You would not want to leave your key on with the engine not running under any circumstances. there would be no point, and that includes temp control. The fan is worthless if the engine is not running and the pump circulating. Hope this helps somebody.  

Databtyter

Databyter

On 1/2/2018 at 1:10 PM, artwood said:

Hey guys,

I got my 07 a few weeks ago and haven't really been able to do much riding. Since it's been below freezing, I've been starting it and letting it warm up once a week in my garage. I notice the fan won't come on and I let the temp climb to 210o before shutting it off. What temp should the fan be coming on? Is this something the dealer should look at? Thanks in advance.

Quit doing the idle warm up and quit doing it once a week.  If you take advantage of a reasonable day to take a 20 minute ride about once a month the bike will be fine.   I will ride my bike when the road is clear if the temperature is around ±30°F or so as often as I can through November - March.   That is the best thing to do if you can do so.  Doesn't need it once a week, once a month will do fine and the 20-30 minute ride will get everything up to temperature and the battery will hold charge, although you still might want to hook it up to a battery tender.   I can usually hit at least one day a month where I can dress warm and go for a ride into town or out around a loop I ride.  If it's in the 40s I do the country route, if freezing I may ride around in town at lower speeds.

I've known people who put their battery tender on a timer so it will turn on and provide charge if needed for maybe an hour a day.

Edited by klx678