The MT-07 Forum

Brisk morning ride

Bigturbomax

I picked my bike up from the dealer saturday since itll be 6 weeks before they can fix the tiny oil seep. I went out this fine brisk morning in central Texas in search of breakfast tacos. Its was about 9am and 28F with a supposed windchill in the teens. My wife told me i was nuts lol. Anyway, cold or not the roads were dry. I ended up cruising all over town looking for somebody open to sell breakfast on new years day. Good 45 minute ride. I live close to downtown in my little city and thats where all the good eats are. It was one of the nicest rides ive had in a while despite the cold. I assume most were still at home nursing hangovers so i had the road almost entirely to myself. The sun was shining and the wind was calm. All the Christmas lights are still up on the town square looking pretty :). Sounds corny, but was a beautiful cruise. Hope all of you have lots of fun safe riding in 2018. Happy new years guys and stay frosty!

PS i did end up at a carneceria with some amazing al pastor (pork) tacos. So dont worry guys, my little family got breakfast after all lol.

It was 25f here yesterday when I took off to Sportsmans Warehouse to pick up some waterproofing stuff. There is something fun about riding in these stupid temperatures. 

It's 22f here now. I just finished canning some strawberry apple jam and am thinking about going for a cruise.

These BT 023's do not seem to do well in the cold, though.  Thinking I may block off part of my radiator, too. I don't like seeing engine temps staying in the 160 range. 

It's been between 5 and 15 degrees here in SW Virginia the last couple days. I ride down to ~40 for short bursts. 

I am a fair weather rider. Back in my teens, different story.

Stay Safe!

Kirk

I used to like those unusual rides alone when everyone else is asleep. When I was like 21 a friend and I had breakfast after all the bars closed up at a local truck stop, a Phillips 66 if I recall and after that we rode over to Troy Ohio on bikes and arrived there around 4:30 in the morning and started throwing the Frisbee on the levy. It was eerily awesome because it was foggy and when the sun came up it all looked surreal. I had my Canon AE-1 with me at the time so I took pics of it. They're around here somewhere.

Then there was the time I had to leave Austin in a hurry to avoid getting stuck there and becoming AWOL. The local weather channel said that San Antone just had 12 inches of snow dumped on them and that the storm was heading toward Austin. >>>I hauled ass back up to Ft. Hood. <<< The temp was around 30 or less but I have no idea what the windchill factor was doing 70 on the highway. Just know it was cold and an very unusual ride.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/local/history-culture/slideshow/S-A-Back-in-the-Day-Snow-of-January-1985-54291.php

Beemer

• Premium Member
bornagainbiker

Those cold rides certainly do stick in a person's memory. 

I'll never forget an early april afternoon in the late 70s, when I went to pick up a friend of mine at the University of New Brunswick campus.  The forecast for that night and the next day was 20 cm of snow, and the temperature was dropping fast, so we had to make the call--take a chance of being snowed in for days--or make a freezing cold 100 km ride back to our hometown of Saint John.

We decided to make a run for it in order to beat the snow.  It was dark and barely above freezing before we got on the road--not a promising start.  We were on a 1978 Kawasaki KZ650 wearing open face helmets with no face shields--no windscreen either.  Hell, we weren't even dressed that warmly: jean jackets, with heavy sweaters underneath.

After the first 20 km of highway riding I no longer had any feeling in my face and the rest of me wasn't much better off, and my poor friend on the back wasn't faring any better.  I was seriously considering turning around and hunkering down for a couple of days back on the campus, when I saw a transport truck up ahead.  I picked up the pace to catch the truck.

Warm air!  Glorious, turbulent, diesel scented, warm air billowing back in the wake of the big rig.  I tucked in behind that God sent truck and followed it for most of the trip home.  I didn't care about the turbulence.  I didn't care about the smell of diesel.  I didn't care about the wood chips flying out of the open-backed trailer.  We were warm, and we would make it home ahead of the snow.

Give Respect To Get Respect   https://jeff-galbraith.pixels.com/

5 hours ago, CapnKirk said:

It's been between 5 and 15 degrees here in SW Virginia the last couple days. I ride down to ~40 for short bursts. 

I am a fair weather rider. Back in my teens, different story.

Stay Safe!

Kirk

I'm in SW VA myself. Lynchburg-Roanoke area. Any chance you are nearby?

bornagainbiker - Ha! good story! You would've fit right in with my gang, the Immortal, Apple Retarded Gang. No face shields?!! Jeez o' Wheezy! 😨

Beemer

• Premium Member
bornagainbiker
3 hours ago, Beemer said:

bornagainbiker - Ha! good story! You would've fit right in with my gang, the Immortal, Apple Retarded Gang. No face shields?!! Jeez o' Wheezy! 😨

Yah, I know.  What can I say--we were young and stupid. :o

Give Respect To Get Respect   https://jeff-galbraith.pixels.com/

On 1/2/2018 at 11:20 AM, shinyribs said:

I'm in SW VA myself. Lynchburg-Roanoke area. Any chance you are nearby?

I live in the Christiansburg/Blacksburg area. Not too close but not to far either!!

Ride Safe,

Kirk

• 1 month later...

A thin layer of snow fell between Sunday and Monday, and since then we've had around minus 10C in the mornings that feels like minus 18 thanks to wind, with a high during the day of minus 6C. The cold air coming in from Siberia could last another month. Brrrrr.

As a 16yr old I loved riding in rain. Trenchcoat buttoned up, 'tin hat' helmet with Mk IV goggles - bliss. My 07 has barely experienced rain. And the current Siberian weather in the UK is certainly keeping me off the bike.

Just do it! 

If my ride was much longer than the 2.4 miles I do, I would not have ridden my Yamaha, either. But it is bearable thanks to good clothes and short hop. And still good practice. Rain is OK if it isn't cold.

Archived