The MT-07 Forum

Frozen gas cap?

phanomenal07

Hey guy it’s been in the low 20 and teens here in philly. I tried opening the gas cap today and the key only goes half way in. I can’t turn it or anything. Is it possible that the gas cap is frozen stuck? The tank is full with fuel stabilizer in it. I just wanted to take a look inside but couldnt

• Premium Member
bornagainbiker

Ran into the same thing with my FZ--it was frozen.  It doesn't take much condensation to cause a lock to freeze.  Couple drops of lock de-icer should do the trick. ;)

Give Respect To Get Respect   https://jeff-galbraith.pixels.com/

• Premium Member

During the summer my key was going in rough.  Some WD-40 fixed it.  Should help in the winter too.

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

1 hour ago, phanomenal07 said:

Hey guy it’s been in the low 20 and teens here in philly. I tried opening the gas cap today and the key only goes half way in. I can’t turn it or anything. Is it possible that the gas cap is frozen stuck? The tank is full with fuel stabilizer in it. I just wanted to take a look inside but couldnt

De-Icer or 1 cub rubbing alcohol 2 cups water

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

17 hours ago, bornagainbiker said:

Ran into the same thing with my FZ--it was frozen.  It doesn't take much condensation to cause a lock to freeze.  Couple drops of lock de-icer should do the trick. ;)

When I lived up north I had that stuff around all the time in the winter for just that reason and clearing frozen over windshields. That stuff works great! There was this one chick I met in the winter at band camp and ...... never mind. 😉

Beemer

• Premium Member
bornagainbiker
30 minutes ago, phanomenal07 said:

Will lubing it with graphite prevent this?

Don't know that it would prevent freezing, but graphite will make it work smoother overall.

Give Respect To Get Respect   https://jeff-galbraith.pixels.com/

7 hours ago, phanomenal07 said:

Would not use graphite Personally.  WD40 yes.  Get yourself a microfiber drying rag at any auto parts store.  Just lay it over the gas cap when parked.  If outside get a couple of small bungies to ensure it stays in place

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

20 hours ago, phanomenal07 said:

That's a good lubricant but I don't think graphite prevents the expansion of freezing moisture. That's what causes the seize up.

Edit: then again, I could be wrong. (go to part 5 of 6)

https://www.yourmechanic.com/article/how-to-prevent-car-doors-from-freezing-shut

Beemer

phanomenal07

Thanks guys. I’ll try it tomorrow when the temp gets back up to the thirties. Be nice to finally ride 

Archived