The MT-07 Forum

Pant Leg Problem

Beemer

I'm not asking for advice but giving it in case you're coming to a stop and find you can't put your foot on the ground because a pant leg got hung up on a foot peg. I know I'm not the only one it's happened to. It's happened to me at least half a dozen times in the last 2 + years of riding this bike and just happened recently again so I figure it's time to talk about it. If you're real close to stopping and a pant leg is not coming un hung you'll probably start to freak a little like I have. Don't freak out, keep your cool and remember to lift you leg back up to foot peg height or a little higher and then pull your leg out toward the outside of the bike. Don't just keep lifting and lowering your leg, that usually doesn't work.

That should get it to come free of the peg real quick. If for some reason it doesn't come free, plan on stopping and leaning your bike to the side with the foot planted on the ground and then do that same procedure/whatever it takes to get the pant leg free. Beats falling over and possibly breaking or melting a leg.

I also realize that if I wore boots I could tuck my pant legs into them or a simple rubber band around the pant legs would help a lot.

Beemer

I have caught my boot picking up my peg on them damn rudders (Now Removed)

But this reminds me of a Not Funny Then moment on my R5/TR3

I used to challange myself on how long I could ride without placing a foot down.  So when I started from anywhere any stop I tried to balance as long as possible.  So one fine Summer Day I had to run to yamaha of San Jose some 4 or so miles form home.  I jump on my R5/TR3 and head off.  First stop, good, second stop better, 3rd stop awesome, 4th stop Er, Uhhh Daaaaaammmmmmm iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiTTT Ohhhhh SHiiiiiiiiiiiiit slow mo moments.

So I look up some kid is looking down at me in the care next lane, I got my damn bell bottoms over the kick starter and could not put my foot down and Wammo Ya it happened

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

Been there, done that. I have an old pair of insulated riding pants that had an elastic strap at the ankle that got caught on those stupid peg feelers. this is the 1st bike I've ever owned with those things - once was enough. The peg feelers are gone and so are those saggy bits of elastic. . 

decades ago when I last owned a BMW R bike, (a 1982, smoke red R100RS), while wearing hiking boots - you know, the kind with hooks for the laces, after a gear shift and pulling my foot back to the peg, one of those hooks grabbed the side of the wire bail that clamped fuel bowl of the left side carb. All of a sudden, the bike was running on one cylinder - wtf. I pulled over quick and saw I'd left a trail of gasoline on that side. W/o the bowl, the float drops and allows fuel to flow. Fortunately, I found the bowl about 50-75 yards back unharmed - no one ran it over, So a quick click and it was fixed

Never wore those boots on that bike ever again. 

9 hours ago, yamahazaki said:

This is exactly why I only ride in shorts!

burn.jpg

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

Just curious, did anyone watch Rawhide? Does anyone recognize the person in that pic? If not, it's a much younger Clint Eastwood. That's right you youngsters, he was a dirty sh*t kicker long before he was a dirty detective. 💩

Beemer

• Premium Member

Skinny jeans Beemer!  One problem solved..... other problems immediately come to light. image-title1.thumb.jpg.5df99ad6d035a1bdc688ed1c43695341.jpg

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.          Fuss Life.

Always wore boots with the pants tucked in until I bought my adventure pants. They are over boots BUT clip tight around the boot at the bottom.

Actually the only time I got leggings caught was with my tucked in full leathers on my race bike. My knee protectors got caught on the edge of the fairing when I was putting my foot down after a race. Nothing like falling on your side infront of a paddock full of clubmates. Only time I ever came off on a race bike. Oh the shame

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

In the late 60’s I lived in Van Nuys California, a suburb of Los Angles in the San Fernando Valley.
I built a chopper using a 500 Triumph. When I finished the only thing left of the Triumph was the engine and wheels.
I even built my own frame. It had a leaf spring front end and I created a skull gas tank in fiberglass.
The sissy bar I made was crisscrossed with spider webs with a big spider in the middle.
When my buddy saw what I was building he cast me a rat that we mounted crawling out from under the engine.
So, like it or not it was damn sure unique.
When I finished the bike up on a Friday evening the very first place I had to ride to was down Sepulveda Blvd.
In those days Sepulveda Blvd. was one of the cruising capitals of the world.
Everyone with a hot rod or custom bike would cruise down the strip showing off for the girls.
At one end of the strip was a Steak n shake drive in. In those days the Steak n Shake’s had parking spaces
with speakers that you placed your order at and a little filly in a short skirt would deliver it.
Everyone would cruise through the parking lot until there was an open parking spot, get out and check out all
the other rides and stand around shooting the bull and telling lies.
I made a couple of passes through the lot and the bike was cool enough that everyone including those still in
their cars got out to get a closer look. There were even some whistles and thumbs up. It was one of the proudest
moments of my life; I was on top of the world and grinning from ear to ear. After several putts around the lot
showing off I pulled into a parking spot, went to put my foot down but got my pant leg hung up on the kick start
arm and in slow motion down I went. It took a few minutes for a couple of guys to come pull the bike off me because
everyone was laughing so hard. There were several people literally rolling around on the ground holding their sides.
So in the matter of a couple of minutes I went from proudest moment in my life to the most embarrassing.

• 4 weeks later...
sidenslideways

Back in the mid 90's there was a little bar just outside of town that had free wings on Thursday nights. Back then in my area, you could eat free six nights a week if you chased the the freebie bar food around town. Some good, some bad , but free grub none the less. Thursday was a particular treat since these were full wings with the best sauce I've ever had. The bar set up on a hill just off the highway with a asphalt entry into a rock (uphill) drive with a rock parking lot. After work one summer evening, I headed out to the place hoping to get there early enough to get the first batch out of the fryer. I pull into the parking lot to find at least 30 or so others had the same plan as me. After I'd had my fill of wings, I throw a leg over the bike to head home for my food coma nap. As I slowly  putt down the rock drive, I notice cars coming down the highway to my left so I stop to make my right turn. When I go to put my left foot down, there isn't any ground there to make contact with. Quickly grab some front brake, pull my right foot off rear brake pedal to find some ground on the right side, nothing there either! So what  I can only describe as my best Wile E Coyote running off a cliff impersonation , my feet are flaying to find anything to make contact with as the bike flops down on the left side with my leg pinned under it. At the time, I was riding a 1992 FXR, So I push it off of me with my right foot shoving on the seat. After some other riders seen my situation and came to stand the bike up, we realized what I had unintentionally, but very cartoonishly achieved. When I had stopped , my front tire was on the asphalt, back tire was still on rocks uphill. From where the cars stop to exit onto highway, they would stop just short of the asphalt, decide to go left or right, turn their front tires, which would then dig a nice little ditch in the rocks about 5 inches deep. So as luck would have it , I stopped exactly over the trench, rear tire above front tire adding to the distance, and being short in the leg department, all ended in a slow cartoon fall which I didn't live down for a few years. 

Archived