Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
RF Mueller

Scorpion and Akropovic Exhaust Comments

RF Mueller

This is just more of a review.  I purchased an Akropovic exhaust for my FZ-07, sur-named, "The Red Baron".  After checking out the instructions I noticed that the exhaust had to be repacked every few thousand miles so I returned it.  The quality seemed pretty decent though.  Then, I purchased the Scorpion Serket Taper, Full System.  No repacking needed.  It's a good exhaust.  One of the two headers was much too tight in the combining manifold piece which made installation a nightmare.  Even after freezing the manifold to make the circumference smaller and heating the header with a hair dryer to make that circumference larger, they didn't go together nicely at all.  This made the small adjustments very difficult.  High tension on the system can easily result in broken pipes so the installation took about 8 hours all total.  It was nerve racking hoping to not break welds on the combining manifold when trying to make adjustments.  The fit was fair; not great.  It does not look like the picture that is sent along, so the assumption is that it will, so a guy naturally wants to make it look the same.  No dice.  The internet snapshots of FZ-07 with Scorpion are accurate though.  The exhaust will stick out the side more than the included pictures show.  I lost some paint from my nice new MC installing this exhaust trying to keep the foot peg out of the way, so be sure to take a cable tie and get it well out of the way or you'll end up with scratches on your paint like I did.  The exhaust is plenty loud without being "stupid-loud", and it's a very nice motorcycle sound rather than "neutered lawn mower" stock sound.  I had the ECU reflashed simultaneously so the exhaust and upgraded fuel mappings went in at the same time.  It runs smoother at lower RPMs than it did before; that was the real reason for the remap in the first place.  There's no noticeable increase in power at the lower-mid range, but there may be a bit more at the 6-8k rpm range.  Either way, it's quite smooth compared to what it was before and fun factor is over the top.  It's winter so there hasn't been time to get an accurate measurement of how much it effected my MPG.  It was getting consistently 65 MPG before the two upgrades went in.  The MC is used mostly for touring so that is why it's so high.  Most guys do more hot-rodding so they get lower MPG. 

Edited by RF Mueller
spelling
  • Like 1

r1limited

Sounds like a basic 1.5 hour job cost you a day and you had to modified a what 900 plus $ purchase to fit and you shipped a akro back because of packing intervals?

OK glad it worked out for you

• Like 1

cornerslider
1 hour ago, r1limited said:

Sounds like a basic 1.5 hour job cost you a day and you had to modified a what 900 plus $ purchase to fit and you shipped a akro back because of packing intervals?

OK glad it worked out for you

As much I hate to say it.....I kind of agree with r1limited? (which NEVER happens). I personally have an Akrapovic Ti system on my FZ-07. I have found with aftermarket exhaust systems, that you generally "get what you pay for". I hate that Akrapovic pretty much has cornered the market on both performance, and quality.... When that happens, they pretty much get to charge whatever they want? I'm not really sure on the repack intervals on the Ti system, nor do I really care... I researched both the Ti system, and the "race system" (that does the the "loop" thing, before going into the can). I ended up going with the Ti system for a couple reasons. #1- "You get what you pay for" with Akrapovic. #2- If I crash, the whole system is on the under-belly of my bike, and unlikely to get damaged in a crash. (I do track days) I honestly know NOTHING about the Scorpion exhaust systems..... That being said, if I had to do as much work as you did, just to put it on the bike- I would have had to walk away from it......  In contrast, I put my Akrapovic Ti on my bike in less than an hour.... Everything fit like a glove, and was REALLY easy. Repacking an aftermarket exhaust system is a general fact of life, and not all that difficult, or expensive. If you do a lot of miles per year, an aftermarket exhaust system may not be a good choice for you? I'd bet the factory exhaust system would easily last 60,000 - 70,000 miles before it failed. (maybe longer?) Generally speaking, higher performance = higher maintenance. I have learned that lesson over-and-over, for many years, and spent a tremendous amount of money during the learning process. I don't post this reply to "be a dick", but to help others from making the mistakes I have made over many years. 

Edited by cornerslider
  • Like 2

RF Mueller

A brief update on the Scorpion Exhaust.  It was a royal pain in the ### installing it for sure, but now,... all is well.  This is the first after market exhaust I've ever purchased (for anything), and I had some serious reserves about spending nearly $800 for another couple of foot pounds of torque with a "pretty" sound.  However, I must say, it is impossible to start the engine now without grinning ear to ear, or maybe even start laughing.  Yeah, it was worth $800 bucks.  I still favor not having to repack, but wouldn't recommend Scorpion until they get their quality control act together. 

• Like 1

duenan

Hate to break it to you... unless the scorpion is a straight pipe with no packing, or it has a separate huge collector box like the OEM, it will need repacking down the line.

Any muffler with packing will always need repacking down the line.  Otherwise you will have a much louder exhaust and loss of HP.

This reminds me off all the aftermarket exhaust companies telling the consumer an ECU reflash or controller isn't necessary (without informing them how much better it is if they do get a reflash or controller).  Anything to sell their product.

r1limited

Drills holes in th header, man that is the schnizit

RF Mueller

There's a hard baffle insert on the inlet of the muffler itself, besides the baffle at the exit.  It would appear to act as "packing", though it would obviously never wear out.

duenan

Then that is indeed a straight pipe.  With a baffle.

RF Mueller

Whatever the case, it seems to work like a champ.  Kurt (from 2WheelDyno) said that exhaust with reflash results in nearly 10% more hp to the ground.  Feels a little stronger to me, but honestly hard to say.  Smoother than it was for sure.  The tickle button works great.  Just start it and rev.