The MT-07 Forum

Anyone else get an oil leak on their new FZ07?

Bigturbomax

Well i got my fingers crossed. Hope itll be right and hope itll be soon. Still havent gotten a call for an update.

Got a call at 5 today from service dept. They said the cover is on and they put 15 miles on it, no leaks. Said they put a full tank of fuel in it too. No ride to pick it up today, dealer closed sundays and mondays. Forcast says 80% rain for tuesday. So......I prolly wont see or ride it till wednesay. 

Good news.

As for you not being able to ride until wednesday, well, you should see the extended weather forecast here. 

1 hour ago, Bigturbomax said:

Got a call at 5 today from service dept. They said the cover is on and they put 15 miles on it, no leaks. Said they put a full tank of fuel in it too. No ride to pick it up today, dealer closed sundays and mondays. Forcast says 80% rain for tuesday. So......I prolly wont see or ride it till wednesay. 

Woot! Progress. 

Hey man, do you need a rain suit? I've got a cheap rain suit I never use. What size are you? If you're interested you can have it for the shipping cost. 

18 minutes ago, rick said:

Good news.

As for you not being able to ride until wednesday, well, you should see the extended weather forecast here. 

If he saw the weather here in the bay area (76*F.), he'd be breaking into the dealership to get his bike out ASAP...unbelievable for Feb. even here, good for bikes but not the mountains and snow pack.

17 hours ago, shinyribs said:

Woot! Progress. 

Hey man, do you need a rain suit? I've got a cheap rain suit I never use. What size are you? If you're interested you can have it for the shipping cost. 

Deets on the rain suit? I do need one. I guess id be large. All my riding gear is large. 5'9 33in inseam and 195lbs. Im definately interested, thanks for the offer!

17 hours ago, markstertt said:

If he saw the weather here in the bay area (76*F.), he'd be breaking into the dealership to get his bike out ASAP...unbelievable for Feb. even here, good for bikes but not the mountains and snow pack.

Its 68 and sunny today here lol. Gonna rain all week tho. Texas winter is wierd. The other day it was 28 in the morning and 64 in the afternoon. 

50 minutes ago, Bigturbomax said:

Deets on the rain suit? I do need one. I guess id be large. All my riding gear is large. 5'9 33in inseam and 195lbs. Im definately interested, thanks for the offer!

Nothing fancy. I hoped it would pack small enough to keep in the fender bag of my dualsport. It almost fit, but not quite. I'm 6'2" and the legs were almost long enough, so it may fit you ok.

It's a River Road "High and Dry" suit in 2XL if you want to check their size charts. The jacket was ok to fit over my regular armored jackets. I wear 56 in Dainese and XL in everything else. 

On 2/8/2018 at 12:04 AM, shinyribs said:

Hey man, Wednesday has come and gone...did you get your scoot back?

Sorry for the late update guys. I went ahead and picked it up tuesday. Didnt feel comfortable leaving it in their hands another day. Ride it back to my work and am keeping it there for a few days. No scratches, looks good. No leaks. They filled my empty fuel tank and offered my next oil change free at their shop. Ill prolly ask if theu can just give oil and filter and let me do it myself lol. Put about 70 miles on it and still not leaking, so thats good. 

Glad you got it back and I hope it stays leak free. I had to drop mine back off as it started leaking again, its been leak free since the end of November when it was fixed the first time. When I ride with a little enthusiasm it will apparently leak and when I come to the next stop either at a light or getting off the bike I can smell the antifreeze that gets on the stock exhaust being vaporized  . Once the spillage dries it leaves a white residue mainly on the stock exhaust cover, im guessing something in the antifreeze. The weird thing is it doesn't leak when parked, overnight or a few days, it doesn't leave any spots or puddles that I can find. The shop told me yesterday that they can see the residual of a leak but it isn't leaking at the moment so they don't have anything to fix. I really hope this doesn't become a "not our problem" issue...... I did purchase the extended warranty when I bought the bike also.

87' Honda VFR 700 F2 (sold)
03' Honda CBR F4I (donated)
05' Yamaha R1 (sold)
15' FZ-o7

Geteup,, is your bike leaking coolant out of the bleed hole or from somewhere around the water pump housing? When mine started leaking, I took a strong light and eyeballed the inside of the bleed hole but it always appeared dry so I pulled the pump housing and found that the pump housing flange was warped,  (7000+ miles) slightly raised at the 3 mounting bolt holes. After dressing down by cross filling, I finished it up on a surface plate on a piece of 320 wet/dry and reinstalled with a new O ring with a smear of Loctite 518 on the flange surface. Still dry a year later. Of course , under warranty they could just install a new pump housing but you may have to insist on the 518 sealant since they'll probably say it's not called for in the service manual and that the formed O ring is adequate...it (O ring) is of such narrow cross section that it barely sits proud of the pump flange...hence only a slight warp resulting in my leak. 

I did a post with pictures...I'll look up the date....Mark  (Aug. 2, 2017)

14 hours ago, markstertt said:

Geteup,, is your bike leaking coolant out of the bleed hole or from somewhere around the water pump housing? When mine started leaking, I took a strong light and eyeballed the inside of the bleed hole but it always appeared dry so I pulled the pump housing and found that the pump housing flange was warped,  (7000+ miles) slightly raised at the 3 mounting bolt holes. After dressing down by cross filling, I finished it up on a surface plate on a piece of 320 wet/dry and reinstalled with a new O ring with a smear of Loctite 518 on the flange surface. Still dry a year later. Of course , under warranty they could just install a new pump housing but you may have to insist on the 518 sealant since they'll probably say it's not called for in the service manual and that the formed O ring is adequate...it (O ring) is of such narrow cross section that it barely sits proud of the pump flange...hence only a slight warp resulting in my leak. 

I did a post with pictures...I'll look up the date....Mark  (Aug. 2, 2017)

Thanks for the info @marksterttI will check it out. I spoke with the shop and they are going to try again, hopefully Ill hear something soon. This is the only pic I have right now that shows anything, It looks like its coming from the bottom of the waterpump housing to me.

IMG_1350.JPG

87' Honda VFR 700 F2 (sold)
03' Honda CBR F4I (donated)
05' Yamaha R1 (sold)
15' FZ-o7

• Premium Member

check the clamps on the rad hoses...I had to rotate mine a 1/4 turn to stop a slllloooowwwww drip...

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

13 hours ago, Geteup said:

Thanks for the info @marksterttI will check it out. I spoke with the shop and they are going to try again, hopefully Ill hear something soon. This is the only pic I have right now that shows anything, It looks like its coming from the bottom of the waterpump housing to me.

IMG_1350.JPG

I'm sure I posted more pictures than this but this is what I found...at least you can see what I meant by the high spots at the thru bolts locations.

• 4 months later...

Hi I bought a new MT07 one month before, oil is leaking in the marked area. Is it cover under warranty. I have advised its not covered under warranty. is it right?

Capture.PNG

Bigturbomax

Thats the same place mine leaked and they fixed it under warranty. They oiggt to fix that for you. Mine leaked and was fixed at about 1,000 miles. I have almost 4,500 now and its still good. 

Archived