The MT-07 Forum

Anyone else get an oil leak on their new FZ07?

Bigturbomax

So i noticed this on monday when i thought i smelled oil burning and hopped off to look around the bike. Appears to be coming from clutch cover seal. You can see where it dripped onto the muffler. Bought in september 17 brand new, 2017 model. Im at just under 1500 miles now. I dropped it off at the dealer this morning and they said it "should" be covered. Well see what the say when the call me. I hate the idea of being without my bike for a week or two...i just hope they make it right. Anyone else have to deal with oil leaks at low mileage?

20171217_175333-1008x567.jpg

20171219_121322-1008x567.jpg

No leaks on either of our 2015's at all.

The dealer probably said, "should be covered" because they don't know what caused it.  If it's a bad gasket, a loose bolt, a defective cover or other defect then it's covered.  If you dropped it and smashed the cover or stabbed it with a screwdriver for some reason, it's  not covered (unless you got a really great warranty).  They say that so they don't get trapped into doing free work that's not covered under warranty.

But, you never know if they'll try to worm their way out of it no matter what...

That'll really suck if they can't do it till after the holidays.  Just gear up and walk around the house making vroom vroom noises.  Inside the house , not outside...

No leaks here. I'm no mechanic but sometimes a little twist of a wrench is all it takes to stop a leak, did you try that?

Beemer

Inside the house....may be too late but thanks anyway rider lol. Anyway, they are supposed to investigate it tomorrow. Ill let you guys know what they say when i hear back from them.

Well, got an update today from the dealership. They determined the oil leak to be from the seal where the water pump goes into the clutch cover on saturday and submitted a claim. Yamaha authorized warranty service for the repair and seals are ordered as of this morning. Service advisor said I might have my FZ back next week. 

• Premium Member
22 minutes ago, Bigturbomax said:

Well, got an update today from the dealership. They determined the oil leak to be from the seal where the water pump goes into the clutch cover on saturday and submitted a claim. Yamaha authorized warranty service for the repair and seals are ordered as of this morning. Service advisor said I might have my FZ back next week. 

Glad you've gotten the issue sorted out. I appreciate  you keeping us updated.

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

New update. Seal is on back order. Estimated ship date 1-28-2018. So by the time they get the part and make time to fix it, itll be middle of february and ill probably have a dead battery. Fantastic.

I went ahead and picked up the bike on saturday and told then to call me when parts come in. 

Man, that pretty surprising about the backorder. Bummer. At least it's still rideable? It's not letting oil on to the coolant or vice-versa, is it?

12 minutes ago, shinyribs said:

Man, that pretty surprising about the backorder. Bummer. At least it's still rideable? It's not letting oil on to the coolant or vice-versa, is it?

No, its just a tiny external seep that I can see two little spots on the muffler where it dripped and it makes the oil pan look "wet". Id barely call it a leak, totally still rideable. Keeping an eye on it and the oil level just to be safe. I dont expect to put a ton of miles on the bike this month anyway.

The same thing happened on my 15'. When I brought it in for the 11000 mile service they fixed it under warranty. I asked the dealer here in town and they said its not a problem that they have encountered with any regularity, thankfully. Just have to keep an eye on it now.   

Its funny, you say that seal is backordered and my dealer said its not common....... I had to wait 2 weeks for mine because the seal was on backorder too. Hmmmmmm.................... Why would it be backordered if it isn't a common occurrence????? Just thinking out loud.

87' Honda VFR 700 F2 (sold)
03' Honda CBR F4I (donated)
05' Yamaha R1 (sold)
15' FZ-o7

Im a master tech at a ford dealership. Ive been doing this work for about 9 years. Not a boast, just mentioning where my perspective comes from. In my experience backorder is only ever on the parts that we replace a freakish amount of. So i think both our dealerships just dont want to tell us what the deal really is.

Just thought I'd give you something to think about since I've had the water pump and clutch cover off for various reasons.

First, if the oil seal on the water pump shaft is your leak, then the only place that oil can get out is through the weep hole aft of the water pump housing at about the 8:00 position on the clutch cover, so if you clean off the engine and then run it again, the oil should be seen migrating from this drain hole...proof that the 'oil' seal is leaking. If coolant were coming out of the weep hole, then you could assume that the 2 part ceramic pump shaft seals were leaking. If the oil isn't coming out the weep hole, then perhaps you'd see evidence that maybe the cover gasket is leaking either at a parting surface or around a fastener.

When you remove the clutch cover you'll see that to access the pump shaft oil seal you first have to remove the shaft circlip, shaft ball bearing and finally the oil seal, bearing and seal pressed in from the inside. Once you remove the circlip you slip the pump rotor and shaft out of the cover to access the bearing and seal. The reason I mention this is because if it was my bike under warranty, I would insist on having the ball bearing and seal replaced together, especially if the bearing was removed with a drift instead of a bearing puller but either way I would want both replaced...just me and the labor is the same.

This paragraph is added to the above after conferring with the maintenance manual. Yamaha wants us to remove the housing side of the 2 pc. 'coolant seal'  which they call the 'mechanical seal'. They show it being driven out from the inside of the clutch cover, after which they want to have the 'oil seal and bearing' pressed out together from the outside of the cover to the inside, hence the requirement to remove the 'mechanical seal'. So, I would assume your dealer had ordered the mechanical seal set (coolant), the 'oil seal' and hopefully the ball bearing, not to mention the cover gasket and coolant pump housing shaped 'O' ring. I had initially assumed that I could remove the bearing and oil seal from the inside without disturbing the coolant mechanical seal, I would personally try this first at home until proven that I couldn't...but I'm not the dealer and my bike isn't under warranty.

I have an extra new 'oil' seal if it would help you out. I also have the 2 pc. shaft ceramic coolant seals that shouldn't need to be removed since it's one half is pressed in from the outside of the clutch cover (mating half pressed into recess in back of rotor) but I don't know what your dealers thought process is. I don't have the shaft ball bearing and like I said, I think I'd want it replaced with 'new' after they removed the old one...again just me but your a master tech so up to you.

Personally, I'd like to see the seal, the mating surface on the shaft and the case bore that the seal is pressed into just to feel good about the diagnosis and repair but I'm a long time mechanic and naturally nosey in regards to mechanical failures.

The coolant pump shaft bearing and seal are lubed by splash in the clutch case cavity (and not much of that) so your leak should never become much more than what you already see.

There are other causes that could cause a seal to leak such as a wobbly shaft due to improperly installed or faulty bearing and since this shaft is only supported along it's length by the one small bearing it is a possibility, however remote. Anyway, hope this helps and maybe give you something to ask your dealer in regards to parts he's considering replacing and what part is actually back ordered...Mark

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the insight Mark. I had forgotten to mention that to the service guys. But my saga had grown and now i have bigger problems. They called me last week and told me they had parts. Set me an appointment for saturday morning (the 27th jan,2018) at 9 am. I showed up at 850 and they rolled it straight into the shop and told me i could wait on it as would take only take about an hour. At 1130am they give me my keys and tell me im good to go. Hop on, ride home, smell burning. Hop off and look it over to find that nobody thought to clean off all the mess they made, im now leaking oil sunstantially worse and am also leaking coolant now. Then i notice all the scuffs om my clutch cover and deep scratches in the powder coating of my clutch cover. I took it straight back. Told the service advisor this needs to be made right immediately and to have the service manager call me when he gets back on tuesday. I cant begin to say how i feel about this situation because Cruizin would prolly kick me off for the language id likely use. 😡

• Premium Member

I'd be scared to let them touch my bike again.

Sorry about your troubles man.

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

1 hour ago, DewMan said:

I'd be scared to let them touch my bike again.

Sorry about your troubles man.

I am nervous about them touching it again. I normally do ALL my own work on my vehicles, but this being under warranty i thought id let a "qualified" Yamaha tech handle it. In retrospect, i should have ordered seals and fixed it myself in the first place. But now that they've F-ed it up, they need to make it right. 

That's just ridiculous. 

Not only should they fix it to like-new condition, if that was my shop, you'd be getting some free swag for the trouble. A few coupons for free oil changes, some new gloves... something. 

That's crazy, bro. Good luck getting that all sorted out. 

Man I'm so sorry...the fact that the outside looks like that is appalling and certainly an indication of the work done on the inside... indicated by the leaking. Just my opinion but I would want a  new clutch cover and seals etc. then I would take it home and do my own install, what goods a warranty with work like that? Just me, so I know you have to keep to the warranty but darn. I hope their 'best' mechanic was off that day and can rectify this for you. Are there any other shops around that could do this under warranty for you? Any chance you could intimidate them into letting you do the work under warranty, letting them give it a once over and signing off on it? Sorry, I'm just grabbing at straws but it's maddening....I know you're totally pissed...it can be made right but geesh!!!

3 hours ago, markstertt said:

Man I'm so sorry...the fact that the outside looks like that is appalling and certainly an indication of the work done on the inside... indicated by the leaking. Just my opinion but I would want a  new clutch cover and seals etc. then I would take it home and do my own install, what goods a warranty with work like that? Just me, so I know you have to keep to the warranty but darn. I hope their 'best' mechanic was off that day and can rectify this for you. Are there any other shops around that could do this under warranty for you? Any chance you could intimidate them into letting you do the work under warranty, letting them give it a once over and signing off on it? Sorry, I'm just grabbing at straws but it's maddening....I know you're totally pissed...it can be made right but geesh!!!

I just thought of this, you should check your oil level sight glass and make sure your oil is still clear, if it's milky at all then perhaps coolant got into the sump from the leaks they caused. The oil in the case is splash so if it's coming out past that seal then the pressurized coolant could easily be going the other way and coolant is not a good lubricant...just a thought, you need all the possibilities before confronting the dealer. 

Update 1-30-18:

General manager is out for a week, Sales manager took over for time being. My sales guy ( ive gotten know him pretty well) texted and told me sales manager is all over service about the FUBAR. Im upset, but I also need to give them the opportunity to make it right. Service dept. called me today and said the are paying expedited shipping to have parts on hopefully on thirdsay to get it fixed ASAP. I was told its getting a new clutch cover, water pump and all seals as an assembly from yamaha. Ill let you guys know how it goes 

Well that's good news...especially the water pump also as they could have screwed up impeller getting the ceramic seal out of it...now, what about different mechanic? What? me worry?

Dang - just reading all of this. Best news my Aprilia shop had for me last year was to warn me they no longer worked on them when I got the state's safety inspection. 

I've not stepped foot back in the Yamaha shop where I bought my FZ.

Hopefully, with them getting the entire assembly as a unit, they can just bolt it up  - w/o the scratches -  and you'll be good to go, and gone from them. 

Archived