The MT-07 Forum

2017 or wait for 2018

Ride4life94

Hello everyone,

I am looking to purchase an Fz-07. I am having trouble deciding if it is worth it to wait for the new 2018 MT-07 or go with the 2017 FZ-07 that my dealer has for what would be about 1,500 bucks less than the new 18. I know they made some updates to the new model but still can’t decide if it is worth 1,500 and waiting another 4 months . Any advise helps! 

Ps. Is there anyone here that wishes they got the 09 over the 07? 

Buy them both the FZ will be so rare especially the raven fz07 ;)

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

But the 2017 version and spend the 1500 dollars on upgraded suspension and you will have a better bike then the 2018 version

3 minutes ago, phanomenal07 said:

But the 2017 version and spend the 1500 dollars on upgraded suspension and you will have a better bike then the 2018 version

That’s not a bad idea. From what I’ve read the suspension does seem to be the biggest change. 

From what I've read, the 2018 has some cosmetic changes, a new seat that's supposed to be better and better suspension.  Whether the looks and seat are better depends on the individual.  The suspension is supposedly improved, but still non-adjustable forks and an adjustable rebound shock.  You can upgrade the 2017 suspension for anywhere between $25.00 to $1600.00 or so (or get crazy and spend as much as you want).  The 2017 with upgraded (and better) suspension will probably cost around the same or less than the 2018.

It depends on how you're going to use it.  For commuting and occasional silliness, the 2017 is fine right out of the box - not perfect, but still good..  For agressive riding or track, you'll want way better suspension (among other upgrades).

This forum has all kinds of info and advice for doing whatever you want to do - if you don't see what you're looking for, just ask, lots of knowledgeable and helpful people here.

If you can test ride both, that should give you a better idea.

52 minutes ago, Ride4life94 said:

That’s not a bad idea. From what I’ve read the suspension does seem to be the biggest change. 

Yeah or you can spend that 1500 on a bad ass exhaust and reflash and have plenty left over 

• Premium Member

I'd say buy the 2017, or even a "carry-over" 2016. Look around on www.cycletrader.com, and you can find some really good winter time deals. Dealers are even more hungry during the holidays. I bought a carry-over 2016 in April 2017 (prime time in the mid-west), and I still managed to pick it up for $6100. I'd think right now you could probably pick-up a carry-over 2016 for less than 6K? My understanding is the price is going up $1500 for 2018? It doesn't sound like your dealer is doing you any REAL favors on the pricing? I'd shop around a bit. Just my personal opinion. What ever you end up doing, you'll be very happy!!!! Welcome to the FZ-07 family-

""W.O.T. until you see god, then brake"

8 hours ago, rider said:

From what I've read, the 2018 has some ... better suspension.

Ha ha ha ha ha ... deep breath Ha ha ha ha ha

You can get a HELL of a lot of proper suspension and other useful farkles/upgrades for $1500.

Whatever so-called improvements Yamaha/Kayaba made to the suspension it's not worthy of the name. You can get some Bitubo 2-piston sealed cartridges or Matris F15 (4-piston, open) both of which offer full adjustments for shy of 600. See the pinned threads in the suspension page for a bunch of options.

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

17 minutes ago, pattonme said:

Ha ha ha ha ha ... deep breath Ha ha ha ha ha

You can get a HELL of a lot of proper suspension and other useful farkles/upgrades for $1500.

Whatever so-called improvements Yamaha/Kayaba made to the suspension it's not worthy of the name. You can get some Bitubo 2-piston sealed cartridges or Matris F15 (4-piston, open) both of which offer full adjustments for shy of 600. See the pinned threads in the suspension page for a bunch of options.

Yeah, I kind of wondered about that when I saw the write up and what little they had done.  Maybe it's just less bad?  Like going from potato to warm potato.  I'll leave it to you, you're the suspension guru.   I just try not to fall off too much...

11 hours ago, Ride4life94 said:

Hello everyone,

I am looking to purchase an Fz-07. I am having trouble deciding if it is worth it to wait for the new 2018 MT-07 or go with the 2017 FZ-07 that my dealer has for what would be about 1,500 bucks less than the new 18. I know they made some updates to the new model but still can’t decide if it is worth 1,500 and waiting another 4 months . Any advise helps! 

Ps. Is there anyone here that wishes they got the 09 over the 07? 

Regarding your Ps. 

I do not like how the 09 handles at all. It has a very twitchy lean in. Any time you tip/lean the bike even slightly ( like simply taking an interstate exit) the wants to fall in to the turn. While this might be preferred by someone on a race track, I found it very annoying on normal streets. The bike tries to fling itself in to every corner, so you have to physically and intentionally resist it. 

The 09 I rode had the ECU flashed to fix the snatchy throttle, but it was still tiring to ride. Between the ( IMO) extremely twitchy handling and snatchy throttle, the 09 is one good for one thing: wheelies in a straight line. 

Really try to test ride an 09 then ride an 07. The extra power of the 09 is noticable, but not insanely massive. Under 60-70 both bikes are animals. Once you start getting close to 90-100 mph the 09 will keep pulling hard where the 07 is starting to tame down. Riding then back to back will illustrate just how much better the throttle on the 07 is, and just how much more nimble the 07 is over the 09. 

The 09 forks dive horribly. Much worse than the 07. I don't find the 07 forks very bad at all, TBH. For reference, I'm 6'2" 230lbs geared up. 

I compare handling an 09 at low speed ( parking lots, intersections) to "chopper flop", if you understand what that means. They're both great bikes, but I honestly think the 07 is the better bike. This isn't bias. I went with a fist full of cash to buy an 09, but a test ride on a couple different 09's left me very disappointed. I initially ignored the 07 thinking it was too small. The salesman convinced me to finally ride over, and I'm glad he did. I came back from the test ride and laid down cash in the spot. Really, go ride both and decide for yourself, though. 

Choosing between the '17 or '18 model is strictly going to depend on which one you think looks better. The "updates" have yet to be tested on the real world. Those updates are just marketing bragging rights at this point. They may actually be improvements, but nobody's ridden one yet to know. 

Ya cant go wrong with a Boss Hogg Gangsta trike.   I mean all dem gansta's be like WTF

BHC9Gangsta_1.jpg

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

Would it be sitting in your garage the next 4 months? (something to consider) If the 18' isn't tugging at your heart strings any more than the 17' I would try to horse trade with them even more on the 17' and try to get them to knock off shipping/assembly charges (any b.s. charges) also. I would also remind them that the taxes they have to pay on bikes sitting around hurts them. 😉

Then there's the used bike alternative which can save you even more money. Find one with only a couple K miles on it and if not wrecked, it should be a good bike. GL, whatever you do! Let us know what you decide and welcome to the farm!

funny farm.jpg

Beemer

8 hours ago, r1limited said:

Ya cant go wrong with a Boss Hogg Gangsta trike.   I mean all dem gansta's be like WTF

BHC9Gangsta_1.jpg

OMG, I can see Hulk Hogan riding something like that!

I can see him falling off, too, ha!

Beemer

• Premium Member

Buy leftover stock...cheaper and you can use the extra money saved for farkles... 

Same thing for the FJ-09... the new Tracer 900 is every thing the forum members changed... you can buy a left over stock and totally farkles the bike out for the cost of a new Tracer900 before your even start farkling that...you will only miss out on a color display and 2 more modes of TC...

I find the -09 bikes much more nimble than the -07 bikes due to the more vertical sitting posture... -09 motor will beat the -07 motor all day...some ppl can't get it mentally the rpms on the -07 can go past 3k like they are driving a diesel truck...  some ppl have no problems dancing around the rpm red zone...

The -09 bikes use electrical throttle rather than a cable throttle like the -07 bikes... if your not used to riding an electric throttle you will find it twitchy if you forget it's not cable operated throttle... it can easily be solved by adjusting the Acceraltion Postion Sensor(pre 2017 -09 are only bikes can do this at home) 

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

• 1 month later...

Is MT07 2018 really $1500 more expensive than the 2017s? Coz' from what I've read, its only either $100 more or no price increase at all.

Source of No Price Increase read #12: https://ultimatemotorcycling.com/2017/11/07/2018-yamaha-mt-07-first-look-12-fast-facts-naked-sport-bike/

"Fact #12 The MT-07 is the same price as the FZ-07 ABS. You won’t be able to save $400 by eschewing ABS. Keep in mind that you’re getting all the upgrades, including a more adjustable shock, with no price increase."

Source for the $100 price increase is from the Yamaha website itself: https://www.yamahamotorsports.com/hyper-naked/models/2018/mt-07/compare/?compId=57e028e82a0ab752e816d7be

FZ07 2017 is $7,499 while MT07 is $7,599

That first link you put up ( ultimate motorcycling) also lists the MSRP at $7,599 at the bottom of the article. 

Funny, that's the first I've read that the '18 MT 07 is going to have a rebound adjustable shock. 

Archived