The MT-07 Forum

Is Riding a Motorcycle Dangerous?

bornagainbiker

There is truth in what's said there but I would say it's unforgiving of more than just the things mentioned. It seems to me cagers are more a danger to bikers than bikers are to themselves.

Beemer

• Premium Member
bornagainbiker
26 minutes ago, Beemer said:

There is truth in what's said there but I would say it's unforgiving of more than just the things mentioned. It seems to me cagers are more a danger to bikers than bikers are to themselves.

So true. 

Give Respect To Get Respect   https://jeff-galbraith.pixels.com/

It has been my personal experience that no matter what we do, be it surfing, water skiing, walking down the street or just sitting in a park and being struck by a meteor is about the average of percentages.  But many of these options as well is caused by exactly what the image states.  Lapse of Judgment, situational awareness, cager out of no place, head up ass whatever it is, we are only guaranteed two dates in life, our birth date and our death date, it is what happens in between is how we will be remembered.

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

Norway had a big study of motorcycle accidents in 2006, looking especially at the period between 1990 and 2005. Here are some of what they learned:

In the 1980s and 1990s, the majority of motorcycle accidents came as a result of only the bike/rider being involved. Usually due to cornering too fast for the conditions and/or level of skill. 4 % of all motorcycles were involved in a reported accident in 1980. In 2005, this number had dropped to 0.5 %.

Since 2000, collisions have outnumbered the solo accidents. Likely due to a denser traffic picture making it easier to (be) hit (by) others, as well as more mature riders taking less risks.

In 1990, 18 out of 1000 riders got injured or killed. In 2005, this had dropped to under 6.

Type of accidents: 35 % due to rider leaving the road in an unplanned manner (solo accidents), 26 % collisions at crossroads, 17 % due to the rider being hit from behind and 11 % were meeting collisions.

At crossroads, the car was at fault at 87 % of the collisions, the bike the remaining 13 %.

56 % of the accidents happen on national roads, the remaining 44 % are fairly evenly split between European-standard roads and county roads. 42 % of the accidents take place where the speed limit is 80 kph (50 mph), 28 % in zones with 50 kph (30 mph) limit and 22 % in 60 kph (40 mph) zones. Roughly 5 % happen where the limit is 70 kph (45 mph) and and the few per cent missing are spread between 30, 40 and 90 kph (20, 25 and 55 mph). 

80 kph (50 mph) zones differ from every other speed limits because here the majority of the accidents are of the solo type, where the rider fail to stay on the road. One reason is no doubt that many roads with this speed limit look like the one in the picture below, where it is great fun to ride hard.

new_pa24.jpg

In the United States of America

Squid seasons starts around April, the swarms thin out by simple Darwinism.  I think there is some sort of religious cult that sacrifices the young uns by putting them on motorcycles they cant handle.  I have no proof yet

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

My city lost a huge amount of motorcyclists this year. Avg of 2 per week during riding season. Half were rider error, often middle aged men riding harleys right into the trees. 

The other half were cagers pulling out in front of bikes, rider dying on impact. 

Its very dangerous ever since smartphones came out. Fucking nobody is looking for us. 

Only an idiot would ride on the street without a very large life insurance policy for their loved ones. 

9 minutes ago, Cruizin said:

My city lost a huge amount of motorcyclists this year. Avg of 2 per week during riding season. Half were rider error, often middle aged men riding harleys right into the trees. 

The other half were cagers pulling out in front of bikes, rider dying on impact. 

Its very dangerous ever since smartphones came out. f@#king nobody is looking for us. 

Only an idiot would ride on the street without a very large life insurance policy for their loved ones. 

I posted an article from the AMA with regards to the statistics of crashes

It is not dangerous. But, boy, it is risky these days. More risky when many others are around you; less so when you can get out and avoid most of them (IF you can do that). 

Just do it! 

12 hours ago, Cruizin said:

. Half were rider error, often middle aged men riding harleys right into the trees. 

aka Rolling Blunder

55 minutes ago, bornagainbiker said:

Skydiving, bungee jumping? ;D

datin other peoples women ???

It doesn't have attribution in the book but I found the text in

Freedom's Rush: Tales from The Biker and The Beast

By Foster Kinn.

It's been a .signature on Triumph forum postings since summer of 2002 at least.

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

• Premium Member

I can't remember who this saying is from, when I find it I'll put it in quotation marks. (you start out with a bag of luck and a bag of experience, try to fill that bag of experience before you run out of luck.)

I may have written that slightly incorrect as I said it's not a quote (yet). I see it like this, I go out and ride,ATGATT.... After that I have to assume people I share the road with don't see's me, I don't hang in blindspots, I don't scare people with rash maneuvers, I have an heightened sense of awareness watching front wheels of cars, peoples behaviour in vehicle, eye position etc. Its dangerous, no doubt about it. Your job as a rider is to be respectful of others and show them were not out to terrorize society. I personally start my bike and say mentally to myself "I'm bringing it Home" I have a wife and 2 kids. Iv'e lost to many friends and family to lack of education on the road, which person was guilty? I'll never know. I wasn't there. Take responsibility - You ride a Bike - You knew about all of this before you got your license, 

Ride safe and Have Fun.

• Premium Member

Okay here's the quote from Andy Morrisson a track-day instructor and owner of Rapid tracks and Rapid Training based in U.K " You start out with a full bag of luck, and an empty bag of experience. The trick is, to fill the experience bag before you run out of luck."

Not so distant to what I wrote but I thought it would be best to be accurate.

It snowed last night- kids were happy this morning, I was not so happy, no riding today.

4 hours ago, fzar said:

It kinda reflects the term, (its not if you'll go down, but when, and how bad)

I knew a gal like that

There may be some truth to the bag of luck and skill. Got lucky several times first  starting out.

Finally bought myself full gear on my fourth bike the 07. I guess my luck ran out and driver skill or attentiveness of the cager was non existent that morning.

This picture is848402CE-1B99-4394-AAC2-4D29F51BAF2D.thumb.jpeg.8630910cc805bd9b073e07d59bc9eae4.jpegfrom my fourth surgery.

Ride with the thought that everyone else on the road tries to kill you. I ride with this in mind and haven't actually encountered a dangerous situtation (i commute daily year round). I think a lot of bikers that get hit by cagers is their own fault. Some guys that got into an accident, that i know, 'think' they are rossi's. 

2 hours ago, sniperelite said:

Ride with the thought that everyone else on the road tries to kill you. I ride with this in mind and haven't actually encountered a dangerous situtation (i commute daily year round). I think a lot of bikers that get hit by cagers is their own fault. Some guys that got into an accident, that i know, 'think' they are rossi's. 

I can assure you it was no fault of my own if that is what you are implying. But I had been commuting on my bikes for eleven years. Like you, I don't trust other drivers but not a lot you can do if a car decides to pull out on top of you at 60mph. I may have just not been as lucky as you, but I was not speeding and even had slowed down because I didn't trust the car. Hopefully your luck continues, but sometimes it's beyond your control.

10 minutes ago, e30kawi said:

I can assure you it was no fault of my own if that is what you are implying. But I had been commuting on my bikes for eleven years. Like you, I don't trust other drivers but not a lot you can do if a car decides to pull out on top of you at 60mph. I may have just not been as lucky as you, but I was not speeding and even had slowed down because I didn't trust the car. Hopefully your luck continues, but sometimes it's beyond your control.

That's why i said a lot of, not everybody. most of my mates ride +-25mph over the speed limit everywhere, and then they complain about cars cutting them of etc. Everyone will go down one day, only a matter of how hard

Bubbles, ALWAYS MAINTAIN A BUBBLE Always SCAN FOR EXIT

43 minutes ago, sniperelite said:

That's why i said a lot of, not everybody. most of my mates ride +-25mph over the speed limit everywhere, and then they complain about cars cutting them of etc. Everyone will go down one day, only a matter of how hard

Hopefully not. But there's a saying, there's two types of riders, those that have gone down and those that will. And the riding too fast is constant down where I'm at. Frequent accidents in Austin. I'm just glad I got the speeding out of my system while I was luckier.

• 1 month later...

"f@#king nobody is looking for us." - Cruizin

Just yesterday I saw a guy driving an 18 wheeler, a wall on wheels if you will, taking off from a light and as he was accelerating he was looking down at a tablet, reading.

I'm a believer in "f@#king nobody is looking for us."

Beemer

Archived