The MT-07 Forum

Trash in brand new forks

Tom Conroy

I took advantage of the Bellisimoto black Friday deal on bitubo suspension. (Awesome deal)

The bike is brand new, 13 miles.

I finally had time to install the cartridges and shock today.  When i pulled the caps off the forks I found trash sticking to the preload spacers that looks like hair, but is metallic.   The oil is clean (no silver tint) , but there is some of this "hair" in it as well.  I didn't grab fork seals, so l dont want to separate the forks.  Can i flush them with something?

Thanks, 

Tom 

rsz_20171220_190237.jpg

rsz_20171220_162414.jpg

the simple act of screwing on/off the fork caps causes the sharp steel preload spacer to slice into the soft aluminum of the cap. What you have there are aluminum tendrils. You should have grabbed bushings while you had the chance. *grin* If you're not ham-fisted you can reuse seals that new just fine.

Buy a can of brake cleaner and give it a good healthy squirt to flush things as best you can. Otherwise you'll have to fully disassemble. Since the Bitubo's are sealed, you could have gravel in your forks and they'd work fine. (obviously a bit of hyperbole...)

Apparently KYB got rid of all their engineers who had a damn clue. You're supposed to put a steel washer between the raw cut end of a tube and the aluminum.

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like worms, your forks has worms, get some de worming oil

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

• 4 weeks later...

Benzodiazole my help if they are threadworms...

The 07 is a loverly bike but it is covered in stuff like this. Cheese bolts, stripped and under torqued bolts, crap in the forks, suspension designed by a 2year old. The quality control on the 07 is very poor. Considering it is one of the companies best sellers , it is a shame. But we all love her anyway. Stuff knows why...Oh yeah , the bike is just plain fun to ride.

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

Archived