The MT-07 Forum

Corrective actions??

phanomenal07

So I was just thinking. While cornering and I lose my rear tire what am I suppose to do? and also is there anything to do if you lose the front wheel?

• Premium Member

the best answer I can give you is this:

real experience is the best teacher...

tires breaking loose happens alot on dirt bikes if you wanna experience similar sensations(no need to hit up a MX course, just reg ole woods trails will do)...and the dirt bike will take a beating like a champ compared you trying to do this on your FZ-07 in a parking lot... 

the reason I say dirt bike on reg ole woods trails is tires break loose so many diffrent ways you have to "be there" when it happens(cause and effect) at that moment depending on what choices you made from bike control input, body position reaction, direction you wanna go, etc...

or mountain biking if thats more up your alley... 

you can recover from a rear wheel slide in a corner/ straight line spinning out with way better luck than to have the front tire "float" towards the outside of the corner or wash out in a corner... of the 2 front tire reactions you have better luck when it "floats" towards the outside of the corner than to have it wash out which ends with you on the ground...

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

@norcal616 Voted Best Answer

That said experience, experience and more experience.  Dirt is your very best friend and will give you that experience.  That said the answer is really dependent on what is about to happen, what is going to happen and what happened.  Explained

What is about to happen: The unexpected, why is this unexpected as noted this should be, in any situation under any circumstances, the unexpected may happen.  A animal runs out in front of you you grab the binders chances are the butt is going to swing out.  You are in a mild corner, some knuckle head dropped a gallon of whatever and you front starts to go away Etc Etc Etc

What is going to happen: 9 times out of 10 what will happen is not a good thing, and it really depends on (a) are you ready mentally (is your head up your ass or out?) (b) are you ready instinctively (muscle memory) as the two are all about experience.

What happened: Unfortunately this is what is in all our noodles no matter what kind of experience we have and that oh shet happened as we sit on our ass and look at a bike a few feet from us.  This is when we (a) get the hell out of the road (b) count our digits making sure they all are there and OK (c) check our fruit-o-d-looms so we are not that embarrassed and finally (d) evaluate and learn

For the question, it is hard to say based on what happened but simple generic answers would be "If the Rear Kicks Out" as mentioned stay steady on the throttle, weight the peg that is on the side of the slide while bring the bike upright and keeping your body weight central to the angle and lean and if at all possible stick your foot on the ground fas if you are dirt tracking a bike..  Pushing down with you foot is weighting this is used to cause the geometry of the bike to stand up causing the contact patch to widen (Dirt Track, MX, SX Road Race all use this technique)  The objective is to (a)  NEVER CHOP THE THROTTLE, you will either High side badly and or cause the rear to pass the front tire rather quickly (b) stay calm, Ya very hard to say when our heart is coming up through our mouth and or fruit-o-d-looms are filling up quickly (c) control the bike as best as possible even if you ave to place it in its side to save your ass.

If the front is going away, without dirt experience and or many, many hours of saddle time and experiencing this, IMO your day is done, hope you got insurance.  That is the easy answer, the harder answer is 9a)STAY OFF THE FRONT BRAKE, this probably was caused by trail braking to hard in a corner and or you hit debris (b) Lift the bike upright as quickly as possible (c) stay steady on the throttle and gradually as the bike lifts add some throttle as the front unloads the bike is standing up contact patch is becoming greater, weight distribution of your body is also a factor.

In the dirt there is a term when in doubt gas it, I cannot tell you how accurate this is, however for street it is not and must be applied with a far different set of principles. Even, Steady Throttle control is key + bike position * body language is mandated here. 

That is my short answer :)

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

Thanks for the answer. So if I’m making a right turn I’m leaning right pushing right and if the rear tire slip I should maintain throttle put weight on the left peg and push left?

7 minutes ago, phanomenal07 said:

Thanks for the answer. So if I’m making a right turn I’m leaning right pushing right and if the rear tire slip I should maintain throttle put weight on the left peg and push left?

R.I.P. Rick Hocking, one super fast District 36 AMA Pro Racer, nice guy shows us how to slide at 100 plus on a CB750 4 Dirt Tracker :) 

Hope it illistrates the point for you.  Notice the Body position as it pertains to the bike angle and slide.  Again do not try this at home this is what you call a professional ;)

HockingShowsUs.jpg

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

Archived