The MT-07 Forum

New Model From Suzuki SV650X

bornagainbiker

• Premium Member
bornagainbiker

I have to admit that I too was considering the SV as a possibility--until I saw the FZ and the SV on the showroom floor together.  Compared to the FZ the SV really looked like a parts bin bike. The fit, finish and styling of the FZ was far superior--no contest really.

Give Respect To Get Respect   https://jeff-galbraith.pixels.com/

If I was looking for a small displacement track bike, it would be the SV-650 over the FZ-07, but id buy one used. 

But for the street, the FZ-07 is one of most awesome looking bikes I have ever seen. Thats why its so popular, besides price point, one look at one and it's love at first sight. 

I was down to a choice between the FZ 07 and the SV650 when I got the FZ 07.  I'm 6'1 so based on reviews, the SV made more sense because they said it seemed to be a better fit for taller riders.  But the FZ 07 just looked better, the specs were a bit better and once I rode it, it seemed to fit me just fine.  I still wouldn't mind having an older SV, but I wouldn't trade the FZ 07 for it.

Plus the FZ 07 forum has way cooler people.

• Global Moderator

I was at the local dealership last summer and there was a guy there on an SV.  He had traded his FZ-07 for it and said it was a mistake.  

4 hours ago, rider said:

I was down to a choice between the FZ 07 and the SV650 when I got the FZ 07.  I'm 6'1 so based on reviews, the SV made more sense because they said it seemed to be a better fit for taller riders.

I'm 6'2" and that's the same reason I wanted to check out the SV, too. Oddly enough, I thought the SV felt pretty cramped vs the FZ. But I have a 34" inseam, so I maybe long-legged for my overall height?

why do these manufactories choose those big ugly exhaust is beyond me.

yamaha have got it bang on with the under sling thingymejig.lol

Personally, I find the SV aesthetically much more pleasing than the MT07. In fact, I think most bikes looks better than the MT07. I didn't buy it for its looks, but for how it works. It has the best engine I have ever tried, and the riding position is good. Also, at the revs I normally use, there are no vibrations to numb my digits.  

Meh! Looks like an old school Suzuki to me. We actually got a big compliment on our FZ-07 yesterday from a guy that used to ride H.D.'s. (imagine that!) He said the bike looked and sounded bad-ass. The more I talked with him he didn't come across as one of those H.D. snobs, (I was afraid of that at first) he was just a likable guy with good sense. He said the FZ-07, though lower in CC's than his 1200 sportster was, was probably much quicker because of it's lower weight alone. I enjoyed talking to that guy.

Beemer

On 12/20/2017 at 7:50 PM, mjh937 said:

I was at the local dealership last summer and there was a guy there on an SV.  He had traded his FZ-07 for it and said it was a mistake.  

Ya kind of like waking up in Las Vagas with a tattoo on your crank ...... er uh wait,,,, never mind

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

On 12/21/2017 at 4:59 AM, faffi said:

Personally, I find the SV aesthetically much more pleasing than the MT07. In fact, I think most bikes looks better than the MT07. I didn't buy it for its looks, but for how it works. It has the best engine I have ever tried, and the riding position is good. Also, at the revs I normally use, there are no vibrations to numb my digits.  

I 'kind of' feel the same way about the looks but with me it depends on which angle I'm looking at it from. Behind it a ways and to the side is my favorite view. That tank and engine look muscular from that angle. I recently took my belly pan off for a few reasons but I found the bike looks better because the header pipe isn't covered up any. I guess I just like the looks of a nice, twisty header all blued.

Beemer

The SV motor is a very old design now.MUCH bigger than it needs to be and very much heavier.

First appeared in 1999 as a budget end machine and hasn't really changed much. Don't get me wrong, like it's even more ancient brother the GS500 it is a strong and reliable bike and a very good tourer but it suffers from the malady the the 07 doesn't as much, excess weight...

It is very heavy for a mid displacement bike. As a illustration have a look at the Cagiva raptor 650 that used the SV motor. It still has the stock motor  size but the rest of the bike is much lighter ( and better) . This new model actually looks a fair bit like the Raptor did. BUT if you look at the Aprilla RVX 550 motor , you can see how small a 650 v twin could be . True this is a 550, but even stroking it to 650 ( the way to do it for a mid performance road bike) it would only be a cm higher. It's reputation for unreliability was because of the materials used not the design ( OK it could have used thicker valve stems). You could hold in you hands.

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/2006/08/article/2007-aprilia-rxv-first-ride/

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

Love the way it looks, minus the exhaust of course. FZ still wins in the powerplant department. But damn, that is a great looking bike and definitely looks more expensive than it actually is.

• 4 weeks later...
firstyammerha
Spoiler

Gladius question

In recent months, one of the local multi-brand dealers was advertising a new 2015 SFV 650 for $7500 and the current SV 650 for $6000. Are they appealing to a niche market? The Gladius is not held in very high regard by the SV crowd for some reason... The Gladius is no longer on their site so some sucker must have bought it😅

The blister/bulbous Gladius looked like ass.

Either way I guess I shouldn't bitch too much about the ducati-lite frame compared to the utter eyesore and just crap manufacturing that is the EX650 and Z900 frames.

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

19 hours ago, pattonme said:

The blister/bulbous Gladius looked like ass

Gladis be like
WUUUUT

butt.jpg

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

Archived