The MT-07 Forum

New Model From Suzuki SV650X

bornagainbiker

I am no Suzi fan but I have always wanted a SV, The can on that thing is huge

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

2 minutes ago, r1limited said:

I almost bought a SV over the FZ when I was bike shopping! Got talked out of it :P 

2 minutes ago, grefshk said:

I almost bought a SV over the FZ when I was bike shopping! Got talked out of it :P 

I would had punched that person for Blasphomy then burned them at the stake while getting seaguls to poop on them.  I like the SV, but wont buy it, something about sumsukmes bother me.  Maybe it was thet GT380 that tried to kill me or that old Tm400 Cyclone widow maker, but me no like suzi that much. :)

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

Just now, r1limited said:

I would had punched that person for Blasphomy then burned them at the stake while getting seaguls to poop on them.  I like the SV, but wont buy it, something about sumsukmes bother me.  Maybe it was thet GT380 that tried to kill me or that old Tm400 Cyclone widow maker, but me no like suzi that much. :)

I don't know what I was thinking but I'm so glad I was talked out of it! 

• Premium Member
bornagainbiker
34 minutes ago, r1limited said:

I like the look of this model, but yeah, that muffler is ugly.  I guess Suzuki decided to take all the stuff that Yamaha hides under the bike and stick right out in plain sight--what were they thinking?  :P

Give Respect To Get Respect   https://jeff-galbraith.pixels.com/

One of the project bikes I have in mind is a SV of course Grand National Flat Tracker :)

• Premium Member
bornagainbiker
2 minutes ago, r1limited said:

One of the project bikes I have in mind is a SV of course Grand National Flat Tracker :)

Wouldn't the FZ-07, with it's gobs of mid-range torque be a bit better suited to Flat Track?

Give Respect To Get Respect   https://jeff-galbraith.pixels.com/

5 minutes ago, bornagainbiker said:

Wouldn't the FZ-07, with it's gobs of mid-range torque be a bit better suited to Flat Track?

Thats my 1st project.  What I have decided to design is

1 FZ07 motor, with electrical

1 Southland Industres Rolling GNC chassis

The rest is in my head

Imagine this street legal

DCNifdIUIAQRlxR.jpg

Chad Cose National #49 on his SV

4Waters-Racing-SuzukiSV650.jpg

3Waters-Racing-SuzukiSV650.jpg

the powerplant is a gem if a bit long in the tooth. It's not as high-zoot as the FZ07. The brakes and suspension are still sh*t from 1999 for which there is absolutely no excuse except it's cheap, cheap, cheap. The styling since the Gladius is atrocious IMO but then again the only SV I like is the Gen1.  I don't know why they keep trying to resuscitate the Glad aside from it's frame is cheap to make. What part of "it looks like ass and therefore doesn't sell" doesn't Suzi get? Bring back the Gen2 if you must, put 4-pots and single-leg KYB cartridge (nee GSXS750), an adjustable GSXR600 shock from a decade ago, and preso Kaw won't sell a single Ninja 650 ever again.

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

39 minutes ago, pattonme said:

the powerplant is a gem if a bit long in the tooth. It's not as high-zoot as the FZ07. The brakes and suspension are still sh*t from 1999 for which there is absolutely no excuse except it's cheap, cheap, cheap. The styling since the Gladius is atrocious IMO but then again the only SV I like is the Gen1.  I don't know why they keep trying to resuscitate the Glad aside from it's frame is cheap to make. What part of "it looks like ass and therefore doesn't sell" doesn't Suzi get? Bring back the Gen2 if you must, put 4-pots and single-leg KYB cartridge (nee GSXS750), an adjustable GSXR600 shock from a decade ago, and preso Kaw won't sell a single Ninja 650 ever again.

As long as kawasiaki is winning GNC races on the 650, well I beg to differ, the SV aint won SHEET :)

It's another nice option, but will require some customization (like most bikes).  The ugly muffler can easily be remedied with a slip on, as there are tons for the SV and are inexpensive compared to our exhaust options.  I really wanted to test ride one against the FZ, as I was interested in both.  Unfortunately, they are special order only in central Arkansas, so Suzuki lost the chance.  The dealer was also a bit rude about it.

I'm quite happy I got the FZ instead, though sometimes wish I had waited and spent a little more on the XSR.  Oh well, they are practically the same bike mechanically, and I'm having a blast while saving ~1500.  No regrets here

If Suzuki would invest a bit more in design, like on this special SV version, they would sell much more bikes imho.
Suzuki always making great engines.

7 hours ago, r1limited said:

don't waste your time. The CG is wrong and the bike "doesn't turn". Says some folks. The P-twins are much better in that respect. Packing a v-twin is a b*tch and doubles the cost of the heads which is why 270deg PTwins will be the way forward even if some of us prefer otherwise.

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

4 minutes ago, pattonme said:

don't waste your time. The CG is wrong and the bike "doesn't turn". Says some folks. The P-twins are much better in that respect. Packing a v-twin is a b*tch and doubles the cost of the heads which is why 270deg PTwins will be the way forward even if some of us prefer otherwise.

Yup, but it would make a hell of a canyon carver :)

• Premium Member

Eww. Not a fan of it's styling. It looks cobbled together from a 1980s parts bin.

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

10 hours ago, Cruizin said:

Welcome to Suzuki. The extra 40 lbs is probably all in the exhaust. 

Not so sure if the sv is runner up for biggest can or the honda

CBR500R_2017.jpg

On 12/19/2017 at 9:26 AM, grefshk said:

I was looking closely at the SV, too. The fact that the SV had been around for so long, and it had a good reputation for reliability, I was kinda leaning that way. But, and you can't see it well in any pictures online, the plumbing on the SV drives me crazy. There's a LOT of water hoses just flapping in the breeze around the front head pipe, which is also way out there itself. The SV isn't finished as nicely as the FZ. It's literally like someone took a faired bike and just stripped it - with no plans to clean up what's underneath at all. The ergos were all wrong, too. 

That SV looks nice, but that standard box swingarm still looks a couple decades out of date. Small things like that drive me crazy. 

On 12/19/2017 at 10:02 AM, bornagainbiker said:

Both engines ( FZ and SV) make nearly identical power. The FZ power delivery feels a touch more "electric" to me, but I don't know if anyone would really notice much of a difference without riding the bikes back to back. 

Archived