The MT-07 Forum

Another "How To" on adjusting the chain

cassecou

Guest ChicagoAJ
Yep. Same here. Using chain alignment tool shows how "awesome" our swing arm notches are. Just wait until that rear locking axle nut gets stuck and you have to cut it off and replace the rear axle. I really like my bike, but the more you work on it, the more you notice that they really cut some corners to save money.
I'm planning on having a rear axle nut on standby once I take my axle nut off completely the first time when I get a new rear tire (for 5-6 bucks you can't go wrong). Not worth the hassle of risking re-using the axle nut that came with the bike once it's been taken off once. But for simply loosening it to tighten the chain, it should last a good handful of adjustments. 

• 1 year later...
captainkool4
On 6/16/2015 at 9:35 PM, wscraig76 said:

Hearing a buzzing from the general chain area after clean lube and adjust. + sync and oil change.

Adjusted to 51.51mm measured down from the flat spot at the back of the chain guide to the top of chain under downward pressure.

Both of the rear swingarm tick marks are 3.

Buzzing is most noticeable getting up to speed, pulling clutch and coasting.

while in motion I would swear it sounds like the chain is rubbing across the chain guide on top of the swingarm.

was this there before is this operation normal did I just not catch this in the first several miles?

Also... I disconnected the shift linkage arm and dropped the washer and the bolt.... when reassembling it what is the correct order?

I noticed this exact same sound today but before I did any chain tightening. 

Archived