The MT-07 Forum

Thoughts on Coolant

SlowGroove

From reading other posts in the forum, I know I can use pretty much any coolant that contains protections for aluminum (e.g. Prestone, Peak, etc.), but I’ve been really impressed with the Shell Rotella brand of oil for the FZ07.  I was wondering what thoughts were regarding Rotella Antifreeze/Coolant sold through Walmart (and others).  Would this be a good option for the FZ07?  Here’s a link for reference...

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Shell-Rotella-ELC-Fully-Formulated-Antifreeze-1-Gallon/51914799

I haven't done a full coolant change (I have added a little) since Feb. 2015 and my bike still runs cool so I personally don't think any one brand is really going to be much better than another, especially since they're basically using the same chemicals and coolants last a long time compared to oil. There just doesn't seem to be anything to worry about really. Not for me anyway.

Beemer

The cooler the better

Get Honda Pro 50/50

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

6 minutes ago, FZ07R WaNaB said:

How can you not go with a coolant with the name Yamacool..... how "cool" is that???

https://www.shopyamaha.com/product/details/yamacool-high-performance-antifreeze?nw=yamaha-motor-company

That is pretty dang cool

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

I ended up going with Prestone.  After looking the label over in the store, there were pics of large scale industrial equipment etc on the label, and I just didn’t feel right going that far off path for coolant.  After draining the original fluid (even though it’s a 2015, I bought it used and just wanted to start all the fluids out fresh as it’s new owner), I flushed the line with just distilled water.  After draining the distilled water, I noticed some small black dots and so forth in the flush solution, so at least I feel like I curbed a little oncoming corrosion from the line.  Filled her with Prestone and cleaned out the reservoir, and took her for a test ride.

one benefit is that instead of the medium blue colored coolant that’s difficult to read for levels on the translucent reservoir, now it’s that fluorescent green color you can see a mile away.

The owner's manual calls for a 2 year change. I wanted to, but didn't get around to mine in November but sure will as soon as it warms back up. The anti-freeze qualities usually don't go away, but the anti-corrosion and pump lubrication abilities of all coolants will degrade with time.

That you saw some crud come out means it was indeed time for new. All of us with 2015s should be thinking - out with the old 

The blue coolants are likely a similar formula to Honda's or BMW's coolants. i think as long as you completely wash out all of the old stuff 1st (and that includes what stays behind inside the motor), as long as we stay away from silicates (maybe phosphates too) and the bottle says safe for aluminum systems, pretty much any coolant will be fine. Stay with the same stuff for the next change and all is well. 

One thing that helps to see the coolant level is to shine light up thru the reservoir from the bottom. My Aprilia's tank is buried inside the full fairing and it's almost impossible to see the level thru the window w/o some light from below. 

1 hour ago, rick said:

The owner's manual calls for a 2 year change. I wanted to, but didn't get around to mine in November but sure will as soon as it warms back up. The anti-freeze qualities usually don't go away, but the anti-corrosion and pump lubrication abilities of all coolants will degrade with time.

That you saw some crud come out means it was indeed time for new. All of us with 2015s should be thinking - out with the old 

The blue coolants are likely a similar formula to Honda's or BMW's coolants. i think as long as you completely wash out all of the old stuff 1st (and that includes what stays behind inside the motor), as long as we stay away from silicates (maybe phosphates too) and the bottle says safe for aluminum systems, pretty much any coolant will be fine. Stay with the same stuff for the next change and all is well. 

One thing that helps to see the coolant level is to shine light up thru the reservoir from the bottom. My Aprilia's tank is buried inside the full fairing and it's almost impossible to see the level thru the window w/o some light from below. 

Yeah, I'd read that too about it needing to be changed after two years and to be safe I should be change mine out before it goes 'too far'. No one can say when that is exactly but that's why there's that thing called standard maintenance to prevent us from finding out. 😉

Beemer

Archived