The MT-07 Forum

My dash got stolen.

sunblock

Just now, shinyribs said:

I believe the mileage is stored in the memory of the ECU, the gauge unit simply displays the information. 

Incorrect, it is stored in the dash cluster.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
55 minutes ago, mossrider said:

Incorrect, it is stored in the dash cluster.

Really? That seems so strange to me. Thanks for the correction, though. 

My Aprilia and the BMW before it were the same. Think it's pretty common the odometer being stored in the dash. Think about before there were ECUs, Granted, it was a mechanical clicker, but still. 

@sunblock
Oh yes these cables are far too thick :)
You can choose very thin ones...there is not much current flowing. (approx. 0.2A)

• 1 month later...

Here's an update.
I managed to repair (almost perfectly) the harness and installed the new (second-hand) dash and holding base.

I bought 33m (100f) of 24AWG cable, and attached butt-ends in one end, and pins in the other.

2018-01-2813.15.24.md.jpg

Took them on the motorcycle and painstakingly connected each cable to the correct position in the connector.

2018-01-2816.39.34.md.jpg

2018-01-2815.20.46.md.jpg

I had some trouble with the ABS cable and the oil pressure warning. There were the same color (Green-Red). How am I supposed to know which is which and were they go?

I thought meeh and plugged it randomly. My chances were 50-50.

Moment of truth, I screwed the battery back on, turned the key and...

2018-01-2816.52.04.md.jpg

Everything works, but when I start riding instead of the ABS getting the signal to switch the led off, the signal goes to the oil pressure warning led and doesn't know what to do, so both of them stay on.

2018-01-2908.45.48.md.jpg

As a bonus I decided to protect it from scratches but I didn't want to shell-out for a proper sized screen protector, So I bought one for a tablet and cut it to size.

First I sketched the perimeter of the screen

2018-01-2018.36.05.md.jpg

Then transfered the design on the tablet screen protector

2018-01-2018.39.31.md.jpg

And here's the rather failed result with trapped air and hair.

2018-01-2019.01.20.md.jpg
Meeeh I'm keeping it for now.

Now I need to find some time to reverse the oil pressure and ABS cables.

Good job. Now it's time to fit some special retaining bolts, making it harder for a thief to steal it again. Lot's to choose from, like these 

Tamper%20Proof%20Bolt.jpg

A week before it got stolen I was thinking about how easy it would be for someone to steal it.

I looked into buying security bolts than need specialized bits to unscrew them.

I contacted these guys www.brycefastener.com/

but the minimum order is 100$ and adding the postage costs to Europe it was too much for me.

The above examples are easy to get driver bits in any hardware store. I have them in all of my screwdriver kits.

I need something that only works with specialized tools.

Anyhow the problem is solved now, I pay 30€ per month for a private parking space. The downside, apart from the cost is that I have to walk 7 minutes to get there.

23 hours ago, sunblock said:

A week before it got stolen I was thinking about how easy it would be for someone to steal it.

Maybe, just maybe here, thinking outload, you stole it or rather your subconsious other person did it and just thinking about it made that dirty bastid steal it

mindblown.jpg

Sorry just trying to add some humor.  Awesome repair job

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

Archived