The MT-07 Forum

My dash got stolen.

sunblock

6 hours ago, shinyribs said:

I wonder if the thief realized it was the stock gauge unit. He may have thought it was an aftermarket unit, like a Trailtech or KOSO, since they kind of look that way.

Stock costs a lot more than the aftermarket. (At least in Europe). It's a better deal for him.

1 hour ago, faffi said:

You could probably get a cheap instrument from China to work.

I already asked at Koso and TrailTech and their speedos don't connect directly to the ECU, they rely on their own external sensors. This could be a solution, but on the other hand, they are all ugly, and I won't have any engine faults warning nor ABS warning lights. Ok, yes it's not a deal-breaker, but it's not ideal.

Check out this speedo from Trail Tech:

voyager-main_154.jpg

Not bad. Cheaper than the stock too.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think I will start soon on a project to convert the CAN Bus data to simple analog signals.
So that you can connect all the aftermarket stuff. I'm afraid I will need some time for that so for sunblock maybe not interesting.

The only thing what the dash sends back to the ecu are in which gear you are driving. Don't know if that is relevant for the ecu. I don't think so.
I drove also several times without dash and never felt any difference.

That would be very cool! Especially for the fuel sensor.

Indeed I can't wait for something like that, I will probably buy a second-hand stock dash and get it over with.

But it will be very useful for future modifications and other people that break or lose their dashes.

Someone tried to steal my Aprilia years ago and all they did was destroy the ignition lock. I now need 2 keys for that bike.

It's such a pita when some moron pulls a stunt like this. One of the few things in this life

Screen shot 2017-12-15 at 7.28.27 AM.png

1 hour ago, sunblock said:

That would be very cool! Especially for the fuel sensor.

I think the fuel sensor could already work with aftermarket dashes because the fuel sensor is only a resistor.
I mean the information is already analog. Its not transfered with the CAN-Bus.

• Premium Member

BOOOOOOOOO 

Instagram: @meekmade | You don't need to flat foot a bike to ride it.

Yesterday, (the next day after mine was stolen), I see another MT-07 parked very near where I used to park, and it's also missing the dash, and it's cut same as mine.

The low-life scumbag is on a row. No-one is safe.

I rented a parking spot, but now I have to walk 7 minutes from my house to get there. And it costs 30 euros per month.

@stev74 Do you know if I can buy the MT-09 dash instead? It's cheaper than the MT-07. Will it fit? Will all the functions work?

Also, when I get my new used dash, do you think I could send it to you to change the odometer to match my bike? Of course, I would compensate you for your trouble. Is it something I could do my self? Maybe with a parallel cable and some software or hex editor?

• Premium Member

Sh*tty! Sounds like you need a perimetre alarm / sensor..... and some duct tape, a backsaw, heavy duty garbage bags, a decent shovel, pickaxe and about 3-4 hours of good ol fashioned digging.  Of course the backsaw and bags are optional but let me tell you not only is it a far more satisfying sense of accomplishment of a job well done but also offers a very fulfilling sense of closure.

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.          Fuss Life.

22 hours ago, sunblock said:

@stev74 Do you know if I can buy the MT-09 dash instead? It's cheaper than the MT-07. Will it fit? Will all the functions work?

Also, when I get my new used dash, do you think I could send it to you to change the odometer to match my bike? Of course, I would compensate you for your trouble. Is it something I could do my self? Maybe with a parallel cable and some software or hex editor?

I'm sorry I don't have looked into the MT-09 dash. I wouldn't risk it. The chance is high that some small things will be different even if the connector is the same. Maybe speed will be slightly different and rpm, tank sensor I guess too. But I will try to buy a cheap, broken  MT-09 dash on ebay. Always wanted to know it whats the difference. Could be useful for my cockpit project.

Unfortunately at the moment I also don't know if its possible to change the odometer values. I wanted to try for some time now to read the eeprom in the bike but I never did it. I will let you know!

Two times my acrapovic on my scooter was stolen and two bikes. My XTZ1200 and a CB500F from my wife. After that I switched to an old XTZ750 and now my wife has a MT-07 (what I use sometimes too :) ).
No one wants to steal my 24year old XTZ750. Feeling much more relaxed now :)

There exists special screws what you can't open with standard tools. Has anyone experience with that?
Something like this --> https://www.google.at/search?q=sicherheitsschrauben&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=t86mtuvtiOhzfM%3A%2CFdrpYv03eR55kM%2C_&usg=__uvzOWw7QzJ9VFkVpUxVrDEhM2AQ%3D&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiE3e2K9JDYAhXEC8AKHYe3CF8Q9QEIVTAG#imgrc=t86mtuvtiOhzfM:

After my acrapovic was stolen I was thinking about it to just change the screws that its harder to open.

think I would be paying a visit to the nearest breaker. Couldn't find a single dash on fleebay here in the states, but there are 5 used dashes on eBay UK. Maybe in a couple of days there will be 2 more.

think I would also have a look up at light poles and buildings near where you were parking for security cameras  - maybe this clown is on video. 

- < -- I foind a dash

Just trying to bring some laughter to a shitty deal.

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

there are shops that do motorcycle dash repair that can likely reset an odometer. this for example  http://www.scorpio-electronics.co.uk

- have no idea how legal this sorta service is, guess as long as it's been documented,  should be ok. A wonky odometer change might get some state bureaucrat's gutchies in a bind

we've got a clown who's cutting a loom instead of just unplugging a connector. He'll have no qualms taking a pair of pliers/vice-grips/side cutters/whatever to the head of a security bolt to unscrew it. 

Ya know this kind brings this to another subject, why on earth would anyone steal a dash?  well thats not really the question, but seeing that the ease of the theft was carrierd out by a pair of snips and an alen a prevenative measure and lesson for us all is?

Change the Allens to a differing size star key set.  Be easy to walk around with a allen set and snips spin the thing off and cut your gone.  changing to a star key set or simular and making that a differing size would be a dtractor.  Thieves are opertunistc parasites

Just a thought

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

A week before it got stolen I was thinking about how easy it would be for someone to steal it.

I looked into buying security bolts than need specialized bits to unscrew them.

I contacted these guys https://www.brycefastener.com/

but the minimum order is 100$ and adding the postage costs to Europe it was too much for me.

I kinda regret it now.

3 hours ago, rick said:

He'll have no qualms taking a pair of pliers/vice-grips/side cutters/whatever to the head of a security bolt to unscrew it. 

It's just a matter of making it difficult for him. Like they say for the bear: You don't have to outrun the bear, just your friends. As R1limited mentioned, thieves are opportunistic. If it's too much of a hassle, he'll move to the next target.

2 hours ago, r1limited said:

Ya know this kind brings this to another subject, why on earth would anyone steal a dash?

Why does it seem so strange to you? It's like picking free apples from a tree. 500-euro apples that is. He sells them for easy money.

On my previous bike (Aprilia Pegaso Strada) the mirrors and indicators got stolen. Even my fancy air-valve dust caps.

In big cities, the only way to be safe is if you have it out of sight in a closed parking space. Which I just started doing. I now pay 30 euros per month to rent a parking space.

6 hours ago, sunblock said:

Why does it seem so strange to you?

Its not strange, Its just mind boggling what thieves will steal IMO. 

Thats why I park next to unlocaked ducatis

I guess I don't understand how it's worth that kind of money and thus incentive to steal. ECUs are useful but a dash? How does one end up needing a dash?

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

12 minutes ago, pattonme said:

I guess I don't understand how it's worth that kind of money and thus incentive to steal. ECUs are useful but a dash? How does one end up needing a dash?

Meth, Heroin, Cocain, oh ya its a victimless crime

9 hours ago, fzar said:

Can I ask where do you live? @sunblock this carry on is outrageous

Athens, Greece. (Big city, densely populated). I park in the same spot, here:

2017-11-1210.19.59.md.jpg

After the dash incident, I moved it in a paying closed parking spot.

5 hours ago, pattonme said:

ECUs are useful but a dash? How does one end up needing a dash?

Reasons for a new dash:

1. Someone stole yours and you need to replace it.
  2. It's scratched all over or you had an accident and broke it. Maybe a tree branch fell on it.
  3. You want to sell the bike and you need to make it look "younger" by replacing the dash with one that has less mileage.

First attempt to repair the harness.

The datasheet for that specific terminal says that the inner core has to be 1.5mm. I asked for 1.5mm cable at my local electronics shop but I think they gave me slightly thicker one.

2017-12-2221.42.56.md.jpg

As a result, it seems I'm getting short-circuits on various pins.

2017-12-2222.41.10.md.jpg

I need to buy another cable and try again.

2017-12-2221.06.25.md.jpg

Good thing I bought two terminals just in case I mess up.

On 12/23/2017 at 11:09 PM, sunblock said:

Athens, Greece. (Big city, densely populated). I park in the same spot, here:

2017-11-1210.19.59.md.jpg

After the dash incident, I moved it in a paying closed parking spot.

Reasons for a new dash:

1. Someone stole yours and you need to replace it.
  2. It's scratched all over or you had an accident and broke it. Maybe a tree branch fell on it.
  3. You want to sell the bike and you need to make it look "younger" by replacing the dash with one that has less mileage.

I bet you can wheely the crap out of that thing by putting like 800lbs in that Studio apartment your toting around. :)

Archived