The MT-07 Forum

To Cover or not to Cover? That is the Question

bornagainbiker

• Premium Member
bornagainbiker

I stored my bike for the winter today in an unheated storage shed, and was wondering if it is better to put a cover over it or not?  I have heard that covering it in these conditions may trap moisture and promote rust, but it also keeps it cleaner--free of cobwebs, dust etc.  Last year I threw an old blanket over the bike, now I'm wondering if I should just let it sit naked in the shed?  Any thoughts on this subject fellow members? 

Give Respect To Get Respect   https://jeff-galbraith.pixels.com/

35 minutes ago, bornagainbiker said:

I stored my bike for the winter today in an unheated storage shed, and was wondering if it is better to put a cover over it or not?  I have heard that covering it in these conditions may trap moisture and promote rust, but it also keeps it cleaner--free of cobwebs, dust etc.  Last year I threw an old blanket over the bike, now I'm wondering if I should just let it sit naked in the shed?  Any thoughts on this subject fellow members? 

I think personally and I have no science, keeping material that will trao and get moist such as a cotton blanket is not a good thing.  I have heard a low circulating fan on low just to keep air moving helps.  I have a single heater (oil) plugged in that keeps the humidty at a respectful limit.  Be careful on what you use.  I do not cover it for the first reason

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

My bikes also spend the winter in an unheated (big) garage thats detached from the house. i cover them with Nelson Rigg covers. Both covers have air vents fairly high up so some air can circulate. 

The best thing i did for the bikes was to invest in plastic flooring - this https://www.amazon.com/BlockTile-B0US4630-Flooring-Interlocking-30-Pack/dp/B009RI6FOQ/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_1?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1513205959&sr=1-1-fkmr1&keywords=speedway+garage+tile%2C+coin+pattern   It was a lot of money to build platform big enough for 2 bikes, but I love walking and working on the stuff. Cold concrete is hard on the knees too.

The underside is a honeycomb structure that puts a 1/2" layer of air between the cold concrete floor and the bikes. I find the bikes stay much freer of condensation since adding that flooring. 

Another thing you can do if yer worried about condensation, if you have power out there, you can put a small light bulb (40W should be enough) under the bike - the small amount of continuous heat will help keep things dry. 

• Premium Member

I would only cover if you are worried about something hitting the bike.  Otherwise, I see no advantage and do believe trapping moisture is a real issue.

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

1 hour ago, rick said:

My bikes also spend the winter in an unheated (big) garage thats detached from the house. i cover them with Nelson Rigg covers. Both covers have air vents fairly high up so some air can circulate. 

The best thing i did for the bikes was to invest in plastic flooring - this https://www.amazon.com/BlockTile-B0US4630-Flooring-Interlocking-30-Pack/dp/B009RI6FOQ/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_1?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1513205959&sr=1-1-fkmr1&keywords=speedway+garage+tile%2C+coin+pattern   It was a lot of money to build platform big enough for 2 bikes, but I love walking and working on the stuff. Cold concrete is hard on the knees too.

The underside is a honeycomb structure that puts a 1/2" layer of air between the cold concrete floor and the bikes. I find the bikes stay much freer of condensation since adding that flooring. 

Another thing you can do if yer worried about condensation, if you have power out there, you can put a small light bulb (40W should be enough) under the bike - the small amount of continuous heat will help keep things dry. 

That is pretty cool stuff, I use some foam just like that.  I have a plastic 10 mill sheet that covers my work area floor with a rug on that a 8 x10.  I use the foam varient of that makes it easier to work laying down :)

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

48 minutes ago, blackout said:

I would only cover if you are worried about something hitting the bike.  Otherwise, I see no advantage and do believe trapping moisture is a real issue.

my garage is big enough that once to gets cold, it can stay that way. If the weather warms up and we get rain, that extra humidity can result in everything in the garage sweating like a nice cold glass of beer on a steamy summer day. The outside of the covers will get wet, but underneath manages to stay dry somehow. 

Besides, even in the garage, w/o the covers, after 3 months of sitting, the bikes will get a bit covered with dirt. 

24 minutes ago, r1limited said:

That is pretty cool stuff, I use some foam just like that.  I have a plastic 10 mill sheet that covers my work area floor with a rug on that a 8 x10.  I use the foam varient of that makes it easier to work laying down :)

I have foam runners that i'll set down when I have to work down low on the bikes. But that plastic flooring is really nice. i think it's made from polypropylene and nothing, including brad fluid seems to hurt it  - well, maybe a soldering iron.  Even Jay Leno approves of the concept. lol. 

I used o give it a quick (very thin) spray with lock oil and then throw a fitted bed sheet (with the elastic rubber band in it) over the bike. Take the Battery out or get a trickle charger, and some fuel additive to stabilize the juice....- And have a full tank so nothing can rust in there. Wheels off the ground to avoid flat spots......and you re good as gold. 

I have mine sitting in my unheated attached garage. I live in Colorado so there’s not a massive abundance of moisture to worry about. I keep it covers with (in essence) a large trash bag. They are giant bags used to cover military aircraft pallets so imagine like a 800 gallon trash bag lol. I’ve had no issues with moisture. Just draped the bag over it and duct taped it to the floor all the way around

3 hours ago, detectivedan said:

I live in Colorado so there’s not a massive abundance of moisture to worry about.

Especially in the winter! Lived in Fort Collins for a couple of years and dang the air was bone dry. Haven't had a nose bleed since moving back to the Burgh.

What if you do get one unexpected wet, moist day. If it is a dry winter then not having a cover over it won't present a problem and Cobwebs and dust come off easier than rust. Would you normally wash it for a first spring time ride after being stored all winter anyway?

Beemer

Archived