The MT-07 Forum

Mail in custom seat service.

Cruizin

I'm 6'2", 34" inseam, 175lbs geared up (yes I'm a beanpole) and my *ss starts to hurt within 30 minutes of riding.

I'd like a higher seating position and definitely more comfort.

Would the price be for just the main seat, or option for both?

What would the turnaround time be on option 1? I could go a week or so without riding, but unlike a lot of us, this is prime riding season in Arizona so I wouldn't want to lose a month waiting on it.

I'd lean toward option 2 (core charge). I'm not quite sure why everyone wants a 3rd option? If you want to buy it outright then go with the core charge option and just keep it, right? 

As far as price, I'd think $225-250 range all said and done is a good target. I've spent plenty on this bike already for parts that weren't as important as the saddle comfort. Hind sites 20/20 right?!

I look forward to the answer! 

Thanks guys and Happy Holidays! 

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm around a 32" inner seam and I thought that was bad enough... it f@#king sucked when I owned a KLR that had an oversprung rear.

I am shorter than you guys though, so everything works out I guess.

33 minutes ago, digitalsteve said:

I'm around a 32" inner seam and I thought that was bad enough... it f@#king sucked when I owned a KLR that had an oversprung rear.

I am shorter than you guys though, so everything works out I guess.

LOL, maybe my perception is off from down here, but at 28" inseam, I'm not quite sure what you "tall" folks are commiserating about...   😀

The second option interest me a lot. I don’t like the idea of not having my seat while it’s being mailed in since I wanna ride all the time. I feel like around the 200 dollar range is a good price. Also I ride 80 miles at a minimum almost everyday so I would love to be the test subject :)

oh and I’m 5’9 175 if you needed that info

• Global Moderator

I've done a "mail your seat in" before (Renazco). I ride a lot (and try to ride year round) so if I hadn't had an extra seat I would not have gone that route. I've actually bought extra seats for all of my bikes (except the Berg - knew I was doing a Seat Concepts from the get go) for this reason. So I would like to see the core charge option, along with an option to simply purchase a completed seat outright. Seems like that would offer the most flexibility. 

• Premium Member

"And our seats will be much much more comfortable than stock."   I'm curious to how this would be accomplished, softer foam, more foam, distributed differently, or...?  Thanks.

The  concept is looking at bonding different densities of foam, it's something he has been doing for quite some time on other seats. 

Again, its being worked out. Im not 100% committed to this yet and it might be that he just comes on board as a vendor. 

This thread is just to get your thoughts and and then try and meet the needs with a good product and price.

If needs and price cannot be met then this wont happen. I'm not gonna get involved unless everything matches. 

• 5 weeks later...

I could potentially be interested in option 2 only. I wont give up my OEM seat. I would only consider after seeing photos of what the seat looks like on the bike from several angles. I am not fond of seats that look like pillows. 

This may be more than your seat guy wants to deal with but I am fond of having a few choices, especially stitching colors. I have the hi-viz model of the FZ and if the stitching is done nice and could match the wheels, to me that would add a bit of custom look and I would be willing to pay a bit more for it. I have seen side panels from some manufacturers that can be had in different colors and those look really sharp. So a few options within reason may bring more buyers.

Subscribed to see what happens..

Stitching will always let water under the cover and result in a case of sponge-ass. Even if you avoid rain, you still gotta wash the bike. Not bashing on stitches, just puttingit out there. 

Don't mean to overstep boundaries, but much are the seat pans coming in at? I can wrangle up a couple pans if needed just so folks can have a finished product to look at. Maybe a standard and a tall version, just for looks. 

This is really a good business idea, don't give up on it just yet.  Nobody wants to send in their stock seat.  No problem.  Buy stock front seats from forum members here for $45 a piece, you should be able to get a dozen or so corbin seat owners to bite and get started.  You can sell two versions of your seat.  One version, use the stock seat cover, just carve out and add foam in the right spots, and sell for $185.  This gives you $140 per seat to pay for labor/materials and make a nice profit.  Version two, an upgraded seat cover, and more and better foam or something.  This version could sell for $250 or so.  Once the product is established, and gets good reviews here on the forum, you have a nice little business going.  If you communicate well, people will understand the business can't survive without stock seats, and will sell you their old seats once they receive the new seat and are happy with it.  Keep everything simple, no custom work, you only make two versions of the seat, no requirement to send in stock seat, it's optional.  There is a huge demand for this, go for it!

9 hours ago, Cruizin said:

The delay we are experiencing is the plastic seat pans.  Pain in the ass and expensive to get. 

If peeps dont want to send in their seats, this whole thing might be off.  

If you could have one seat remade so we could see what you have in mind, it may be easier to have us reluctant folks to send in our seats. Its been unusually cold these last few weeks and would be the perfect time to turn this around. I do not foresee riding anytime soon.

Thanks for giving this a shot.

I too would be interested in the $200-250 range, I did the Seat Concepts deal and like the quality and looks of the carbon fiber cover but after an hour or two...especially after the second day of a trip...my butt hurts and I can feel every seam in my tightie whities. 

I have just reinstalled a stock seat to see if it was as bad as I remembered, have yet to see. So 'yes' always open to better options and would send in stock seat pan. Although rather thin, I do like the once piece, no seams stock cover.

• Premium Member

I personally have no problem with the stock saddle, I like the idea and your thought process behind it. I'm pretty sure there would be a strong market for this concept with the amount of people who find the stock saddle unbearable after 1 hour. Maybe it's just me, but I just noticed I'm the only person who calls it a "SADDLE" instead of a SEAT. This is what I call it on my push bikes too.

5 hours ago, shinyribs said:

Stitching will always let water under the cover and result in a case of sponge-ass. Even if you avoid rain, you still gotta wash the bike. Not bashing on stitches, just puttingit out there. 

Don't mean to overstep boundaries, but much are the seat pans coming in at? I can wrangle up a couple pans if needed just so folks can have a finished product to look at. Maybe a standard and a tall version, just for looks. 

I always wrap the foam in several layers of clingfilm before I put the cover on. Never had a wet seat foam with this setup.

The seat pan on the 07 has a small design flaw that getting a new seat pan in aa modded design would fix and you could probably get it made in "glass" or nowdays moulded in plastic in a smallish run.

The problem of the rear bolts and their positioning in a way that means they get stripped by the side pressure on the tool. I haven't done but plenty have. That would also stop anyone running foul of any Yamaha design patents on their seat base.

I am a big fan of Seat concepts seatcover/pad but I am also happy to put it on myself. I love mine.

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

On 14/01/2018 at 12:59 AM, Cruizin said:

The delay we are experiencing is the plastic seat pans.  Pain in the ass and expensive to get.

Ha ha.  '...the plastic seat pans.  Pain in the ass...'.

Subliminal marketing?  🙂

• 2 weeks later...

For me personally, I am comfortable on the stock seat (did a trip from New Jersey to Florida in two days on my '15 FZ-07). One thing I did with my '17 FZ-07 is I bought the Yamaha comfort seat (was about $225 shipped from an out of state dealer). It's the same as the stock seat as far as comfort but adds about 1/2"-3/4" of seat height which feels better overall. This was worth it for me, also the comfort seat took about a weeks worth of riding to break in.

2003 Buell XB9R (2011-2011) Crashed
2009 Buell 1125CR (2011-2013) Sold
2015 Yamaha FZ-07 (2014-?) Current

308144.png

On 1/15/2018 at 10:10 AM, gregjet said:

The seat pan on the 07 has a small design flaw that getting a new seat pan in aa modded design would fix and you could probably get it made in "glass" or nowdays moulded in plastic in a smallish run.

The problem of the rear bolts and their positioning in a way that means they get stripped by the side pressure on the tool. I haven't done but plenty have. That would also stop anyone running foul of any Yamaha design patents on their seat base.

I am a big fan of Seat concepts seatcover/pad but I am also happy to put it on myself. I love mine.

Im looking into something like this; quick release pins in place of the seat screws or making it myself. 

(Probly could get away with some mini winged nuts for a fews dollars too)

https://www.jpcycles.com/product/zz26509/sargent-fast-access-quick-release-pins

I find the stock saddle pushes me a tad forward and the vinyl makes you slide alot those two together kinda sucks.

A flatter or more neutral saddle would be ideal for me a least, and perhaps more of a pocket in the rear of it to keep my butt more planted. 

+ a textured surface so that you dont slide around.

Archived