The MT-07 Forum

My Akrapovic Carbon exhaust DISINTIGRATED!

AlbatrossCafe

AlbatrossCafe

OK... maybe I am being a little dramatic.

I was on my way home last night and noticed my ears were enduring a lot more punishment compared to usual. I remembered that the metal band/rivets going around the end cap of the exhaust were starting to come loose.

I get home and find this:

fPSjUe2.jpgbfikXDK.jpg

This is LOUDER than even a baffle-out exhaust. I can't stand it. I feel like such a douche in traffic lol. I contacted Revzilla and they are sending me a replacement to the tune of $350 and two weeks time.

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, AlbatrossCafe said:

This is LOUDER than even a baffle-out exhaust. I can't stand it. I feel like such a douche in traffic lol.

hahaha.

there's someone out there who would love that

10 minutes ago, i28 said:

hahaha.

there's someone out there who would love that

Oh Man Oh Man, screw drilling holes in da muffwer that ius da bomb

@AlbatrossCafe How old is that Muffwer?  seems to me that aint true carbon fiber but fiberglass that thing rotted out

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

AlbatrossCafe
1 hour ago, r1limited said:

Oh Man Oh Man, screw drilling holes in da muffwer that ius da bomb

@AlbatrossCafe How old is that Muffwer?  seems to me that aint true carbon fiber but fiberglass that thing rotted out

20k miles. It has seen a lot of bad weather and I have taken it off/on to take out or replace the baffle about 3 times, so I have pulled and twisted on it a lot.

It was the failure of that metal band or the carbon fiber underneath it (you can see the remaining one on the right side of the exhaust in the first pic) that killed it.

Wow, both you and jeff's carbon Akra blew up at 20k+ miles... I guess its fair to say those Akra carbons only last 20k miles. 

• Premium Member

ooo carnage 😍 

I do have a carbon fiber exhaust can from Graves on my FJ-09 and the baffle is more or less a "reducer" than a what Akra uses for a triple straw tube baffle that makes the exhaust gas "find its way out" ... im wondering if the baffle is the cause of the carnage in the long run???

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

Not that I'm not sympathetic, because I am, but that's unfortunately fairly common with carbon fiber mufflers on certain engine types. Especially twins and singles. The large displacement cylinders ( 350cc each in our case) throws out a lot of volume at once compared to, say, a 600 inline four only pumping out 150cc per pulse. It eventually beats the holes to death where the rivets are inserted. 

Sadly, carbon cans = race bike, and metal cans = high use street bike :(

Moral of the story

Sell the bike at 19k and buy a new one make it someone elses problem ;)

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

• Premium Member

Carbon fiber can't handle heat like stainless.  This is why Tyga says not to use db baffles in their carbon fiber cans.  The db baffles create back pressure and therefore more heat.

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

• Premium Member

What a piece of crappola... and I know they aren't cheap by any means.  Sorry to see it!

AlbatrossCafe

Yeah, I worry about the durability of these mufflers but it's too late now. Keep in mind, I also ride my bike in sun, rain, and even sometimes snow. It rarely gets cleaned other than a chain lube.

The new one came in today. Only took about a week luckily. Wow, what a difference a new muffler is compared to an old one!

The new one is noticeably quieter than the old one was. I didn't expect the sound insulation to wear that significantly. Here are my volume ratings on a scale of 1-10 (10 being loudest):

New muffler baffle-in: 1/10

Old muffler baffle-in: 3/10

Old Muffler baffle-out: 5/10

My broken muffler: 7/10

Straight pipe: 10/10

Also, the new one sounds a lot more "smooth" if that makes sense. The old muffler, even with baffle in before it broke, was starting to sound raspier and "clickier". The new one is like butter. I kind of like how quiet it is... haha

Check out the color fade (new muffler with old carbon clip)!

yGcAadm.jpg

Other pics:

KFgGR60.jpggHx7FEp.jpgBb7ERo0.jpg

Archived