The MT-07 Forum

Thoughts on FZ-07 as upgrade from R3?

SpinCycle

Good morning all,

I've been riding a little over a year, with the R3 being my first motorcycle. It is a fabulous machine that has served as a reliable learning platform, but I've been considering selling the bike and moving to one of the naked variety. I am wanting to upgrade because I want a little more power and torque off the line, passing potential on the freeway, etc. Not interested in a true supersport like the R6 since I do city riding and commuting and have no use for the top-end power. I'd like something I can take my wife on (R3 is too small for this), and go for longer treks while remaining comfortable. I at first considered the FZ-09, but its pretty powerful and I'm not really looking to do a bunch of wheelies or anything crazy. Seems like the FZ-07 is the sweet spot for me.

Any thoughts on the FZ-07 as a second/upgrade motorcycle for a city commuter that rides the freeway occasionally? 

Seems like a logical jump IMO, however with that said is the R3 your very first Motorcycle? If it is, not knowing you personally and with the added I want to take my wife I would state based on the (a) first motorcle one year of experiance + (b) want to ride with my wife on the back = Not a logical choice.

Again, I am basing this on not knowing a thing about your experiance, capable skills etc.  if the above is true, get a 450 dual sport and take it in the dirt learn that for a year, then up to the FZ07

Again just my opinion.

Edited by r1limited
  • Like 1

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

I'm no expert on this bike, as I've only had mine about a month and ~500 miles now.  I'll share my thoughts though, from the perspective of a returning rider.  This is my 6th motorcycle, of which it's my 3rd street bike.  I think it's a great bike for any experienced rider who doesn't want a high rpm revving sport bike, but still wants something with muscle.  The FZ07 has a good amount of torque and delivers it well between 3k and 8k rpms.  Even at highway speeds, it can jump up and pass cages with ease.  It's a great city/commuting bike, and may fit what you are looking for quite well.

Other thoughts, the FZ07 is known as a bit of a hooligan bike.  It can throttle up wheelies in 1st through 3rd gear.  My wheel has left the ground through hard acceleration at least twice now.  That being said, it's very easy to ride without causing that to happen.  It just depends on how you treat that throttle.  Another noteworthy trait of this bike from the factory is it's aggressively strong engine braking due to the factory tuning.  They have it setup to cut the fuel completely when you decelerate.  This can cause some jerky transitions at times until you get used to it.  I've gotten used to it during my break in and am not having much problem with it now, but it was a bit startling at first.

Others will tell you that the suspension is bad and needs work.  All my bikes have been very used or entry grade, so I don't know what "good" suspension should feel like.  For now, I don't have a problem with what I'm feeling.  Just don't ask me to articulate what I'm feeling, because I just can't explain it.  I need much more seat time to talk about something like that.  There are lots of experienced riders here who can discuss this with you though.

I have no idea how comfortable it would be for riding with the wife.  I have had no passengers, and have no intention of it for quite some time.  Hopefully, someone else can discuss this aspect with you.

I hope this helps.  Others should be along soon to help you out a bit more.  Whatever you do, good luck and welcome to FZ07.org!

• Like 2

Any time I've ever given anyone a ride on any bike I've noticed it's always more pleasurable when the bike has a good amount of torque and this bike is at the top in it's class. As a matter of fact, if you tried, you could pull a wheelie big enough to dump your passenger if that tells you anything but I don't advise doing it, of course. 😁 With two up riding I would advise improving the suspension,  just in case. Otherwise, it's a no brainer just because of the engine and price alone. You know you want one, just close your eyes & open that wallet and it will all be over.

• Haha 2

Beemer

R3 is too small for passenger? I beg to differ but it depends mightily on your respective sizes.

How many miles in that 1yr of riding? 

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

Personally it has been my #1 rule on street bikes, NEVER A PASSANGER.  Just dont want that responcibility

• Like 1

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

What is your weight?

I'll start by saying believe it or not, the R3's suspension is slightly better than the FZ07. 

Have you actually had your wife on the R3 as a passenger?  If so, the FZ07 will be tons easier to ride with her on the back, but if that is something will be doing, I'd definitely suggest a new $uspension (in your case, both front forks and back spring).

The wind will be worse on the highway on the FZ.  Even with a "sport" windscreen.  If you want something similar or slightly better than the R3, unfortunately you have to get yourself one of those HUGE windscreens.  Also, not for nothing, but if you live in an area with colder climate, you'll find your hands get colder quicker on the FZ- the R3's aerodynamics seems to direct wind away from your hands so it stays warmer. 

If your right-hand is smooth, overall you'll find the FZ easier to ride mainly due to low speed handling.  Once you feel good low speed handling (something the R3 does not have  because of the clipons), you'll begin to think the FZ is just easier to ride in general, but once again that is if your right hand is smooth.  Unfortunately the R3 WILL NOT let you know if your right hand is smooth or not, you'll find that out when you are thrown into the fire by getting an FZ.

And final thoughts, grass is greener, I actually find the R3 more fun than the FZ07. 

Edited by yamahazaki

Thank you all for your responses so far - they have been very helpful. I especially appreciate the reminder that carrying a passenger is a huge responsibility and not something to be taken lightly. After rethinking, I am probably not experienced enough to handle a passenger safely at this point.

That said, I still feel pretty good about the FZ-07. The R3 was my very first bike ever, and I've only put about 2500 miles on it (which I realize is not very much over a year). I guess I'm just wanting something new to keep the experience fresh and get some seat time on a machine with little more power. The R3 is very revvy and is designed to let you fly through the gears and rev like mad and have a great time, but I'd like something with more practicality that pulls a little more. I'm also not looking for supersport ergonomics/riding position (the R3 is a pretty upright bike and I've gotten used to that). I live in a crowded metroplex and can sometimes feel overpowered when city/highway riding. I'm not a "hooligan" rider, and you'll never find me doing wheelies on the street (great way to get killed), so that is probably my greatest concern with a high-torque machine. 

Any further advice is greatly appreciated! Thanks again. 

Edit: I weigh 155lbs and wife is 130. Never tried having her on the back of the R3 since it just looks kind of cramped and I'm a noob.

Edited by SpinCycle
  • Like 1

I have upgraded to FZ after a year with R3. Was a natural step up. The only thing I miss is that on R3 you can redline the thing all day every day and not end up in jail. 

web4.JPG

• Like 1

• Premium Member
Eastern Kayaker

The FZ-07 (MT-07) has a suspension system setup for a rider weight of around 140 lbs, a short wheelbase and a maximum load capacity of 386 lbs (rider, passenger, cargo and accessories). Take these factors into consideration, since it limits your ability to carry passengers comfortably. 

@SpinCycle Like you, I didn't want a bike that needed high revs to keep power.  I considered the Honda CB500F briefly, but felt I wanted a little more than it would offer.  Test riding the FZ sealed my decision.  In my limited experience so far, I'd say the FZ pulls hard at any rpm above 2500 when I throttle it.  (I'm in break in though, so I've not been over 8k).  In fact, the first time or two I gave it a big twist of the throttle, it really surprised me how strong it was at those low rpms.  I love the power delivery.  I'm very happy I didn't get something that requires maintaining higher RPM's just to stay in the sweet spot of the gearing.  

From what you have said, I think you would like it.  Do you have a dealer around that you can work out a test ride with?

I would imagine the FZ 07 would be a good choice for the reasons listed in the previous posts.  Just get very comfortable with it single before you try 2-up.  And make sure your wife knows how to ride pillion.  It's not easy or fun or safe when they squirn around or don't lean with you, or worse, lean the other way.  Just tell her to keep her head looking over  your shoulder and that will help her lean with you.

Maybe you can keep the R3 and she can ride it?  R3's are lots of fun.

Riding with your girl rocks.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

3 hours ago, VertigoTX said:

It can throttle up wheelies in 1st through 3rd gear.

Mind explaining your technique on 3rd gear throttle up wheelies? Been riding this bike for 2 years now and short of taking a jump or dropping the clutch, no way that front wheel is coming off the ground with just the throttle in 3rd gear.

9 minutes ago, topazsparrow said:

Mind explaining your technique on 3rd gear throttle up wheelies?

Perhaps I should clarify, I'm not saying I can throttle them up in 3rd, as I have no desire to wheelie on a street bike at all.  I've seen it on Youtube.  I'd offer a link if I recalled who it was, but I don't.  Thus, I can't verify if they had mods that might have impacted the ability such as regearing or otherwise.  I believed what I saw because it didn't sound like a clutch up.  It was one of the things I found in my research that almost pushed me away from this bike, but I'm glad I didn't let it.  My accidental ones were both in 2nd gear, but that doesn't help answer your question.  Sorry

3 hours ago, SpinCycle said:

Thank you all for your responses so far - they have been very helpful. I especially appreciate the reminder that carrying a passenger is a huge responsibility and not something to be taken lightly. After rethinking, I am probably not experienced enough to handle a passenger safely at this point.

That said, I still feel pretty good about the FZ-07. The R3 was my very first bike ever, and I've only put about 2500 miles on it (which I realize is not very much over a year). I guess I'm just wanting something new to keep the experience fresh and get some seat time on a machine with little more power. The R3 is very revvy and is designed to let you fly through the gears and rev like mad and have a great time, but I'd like something with more practicality that pulls a little more. I'm also not looking for supersport ergonomics/riding position (the R3 is a pretty upright bike and I've gotten used to that). I live in a crowded metroplex and can sometimes feel overpowered when city/highway riding. I'm not a "hooligan" rider, and you'll never find me doing wheelies on the street (great way to get killed), so that is probably my greatest concern with a high-torque machine. 

Any further advice is greatly appreciated! Thanks again. 

Edit: I weigh 155lbs and wife is 130. Never tried having her on the back of the R3 since it just looks kind of cramped and I'm a noob.

Why not get some giidy up go stuff done to that little bugger.  Pipe, ECU, will add some punch to it and who knows maybe enough to bring back the freshness.  I would love to have a R3, the problem is I get hurt more on them tiddlers then I do the biguns, Take it to the Track for a track day too you want some freshness and fun VROOM VROOM VROOM

19 hours ago, VertigoTX said:

Perhaps I should clarify, I'm not saying I can throttle them up in 3rd, as I have no desire to wheelie on a street bike at all.  I've seen it on Youtube.  I'd offer a link if I recalled who it was, but I don't.  Thus, I can't verify if they had mods that might have impacted the ability such as regearing or otherwise.  I believed what I saw because it didn't sound like a clutch up.  It was one of the things I found in my research that almost pushed me away from this bike, but I'm glad I didn't let it.  My accidental ones were both in 2nd gear, but that doesn't help answer your question.  Sorry

Be vewy, Vewy Careful, dont mention the scewy wabbit switch

elmer_fudd.jpg

1 hour ago, r1limited said:

Be vewy, Vewy Careful, dont mention the scewy wabbit switch

LOL, I'm not sure I understand 

3 minutes ago, VertigoTX said:

LOL, I'm not sure I understand 

Just a joke about third gear wheelies

10 minutes ago, r1limited said:

Just a joke about third gear wheelies

I figured as much, just didn't get the joke.  I'll just keep working on my first cup of coffee and maybe it will hit me later lol

• Haha 1

For me, I say it would be a great upgrade that makes sense. I started riding an '03 Buell XB9R and wrecked that after 3 months, then upgraded a lot to an '09 Buell 1125CR that I had for 2 1/2 years and ~20,000 miles. It sounds like a big jump but with my riding style (mostly touring style with about 5% being hard riding in the twisted, and usually go no faster than 80 on the highway, 50 on the back roads unless it's safe to go faster). From there I rode an '03 Buell Blast (my mom's) for ~3,000 miles. In 2014 I bought my first FZ-07 and fell in love with the bike instantly, put ~10,300 miles on it in about a year and 3 months, had to sell it as insurance doubled when I moved to Delaware. In March 2016 I bought a major downgrade, a '15 Honda Grom that I only had for 9 days, I got rearended by a texting driver at ~50mph while I was at a red light and she almost killed me. In February I rode for the first time since the wreck on my mom's Blast then would ride it about once-twice a month until after moving out of Delaware and on 1 November I bought my second FZ-07 on the spot with no test ride or anything, picked it up on the 2nd and since then I have put 2,101 miles on it and if I keep putting those miles on it should have around 20,000 miles on it by next November. The FZ-07 is my favorite bike for its easy riding characteristics, fuel efficiency, and reliability. The 1125CR is 2nd, then the XB9R, and finally the Grom since I have no memory of even having it.

2003 Buell XB9R (2011-2011) Crashed
2009 Buell 1125CR (2011-2013) Sold
2015 Yamaha FZ-07 (2014-?) Current

308144.png

In regards to the weight capacity of the FZ 07, I am 230lbs fully geared up and regularly use my bike for grocery runs, shopping, etc. The rear shock i sunder-damped ( meaning bouncy, like a car with worn out shocks), but I don't feel it's under-sprung. I am running a different shock on the rear, but I'm running stock spring rates front and rear. The bike does fine. 

If you actually sit an a FZ07 ( especially if you are around 200lbs) and check the sag numbers you will see that the bike actually does NOT sag a lot in stock form. These bikes are DAMPED for comfort, and therefore feel soft, but the SPRING RATES are actually quite firm. 

There are a few forms of damping, compression and rebound.  get the spring rate wrong and your in a shet load of hurt or if you have more weight that the spring can handle your in a shet load of hurt.  Combined that with the stock shocks inability to adjust either compression and or rebound (Other then spring tension your in a world of hurt.  Yes the shock and forks are not established to carry a 190 lb plus person,  the forces in the rear cause inadvertent effects to the front aka pushing and other disastrous effects like a pgo stick and or what may feel like the front is chattering under heavy breaking, this is the pogo stick effect.

If you are going to use theF7 as a canyon carver in stock form, ya better know you're skills, if a commute bike in stock form ya better be ready to check things up when braking hard or caught in a corner under braking.  Another words the F7 is a forgiving ride.

Rebound damping is how the sock and or fork respond after a bump, Compression is before.  With a to heavy a spring on compression this will force the front to dive to soft it causes the rear to leave the ground, front to dive and well shet will happen.

The moral of the story is simple, the shock and forks on this FZ are not establish to carry a rider and passenger nor was it designed to carry a 190 lb or more person.  As it is it will suffice for the general rider as it is, more finite tuning is the norm for those who wish to push the bike to its potential.  Tires well tires have a way of causing issues in themselves but are really the results of shitty suspension.

Epilogue

Get the FZ, do some upgrades and have some fun or Spend a couple grand tweaking that R3 into a fun canyon bike and give yourself another year and or 5000 miles which ever comes first :) Me I would by a dual sport andtake advantage of dirt roads and get far more skills then riding 1200 miles in street   But that's just me

Edited by r1limited

My opinion ( only)

The 07 is a VERY poor beginner bike in stock form. Switch like throttle, rear weight bias and soggy wallowing suspension are a disaster waaiting to happen. Add a pillion and the resultant furthur rear weight bias and I see intimate road contact.

HOWEVER. With the fuelling fixed and decent suspension the bike is very reasonable. The torque personality of the motor should be good for 2 up ( I never 2 up) once the thing is smoothed. The rear weight bias will still be there.

Consider the Tracer 07 if you get it where you are.. That should be a much better choice for 2 up because of the lower rear of the seat and longer swingarm. You will still have to reflash but you will end up with a pretty much right bike. The fairing helps as well. It is heavier though, but the fuel economy is still very good. With suspension upgrade it is a better handling bike than the vanilla 07.

• Like 1

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

I have always wanted torque low down in the rev range. The 07 gives this in spades. The first time you open the throttle you think: 'Wow, this is FUN!', and you start giggling. Dont worry about the possibility of doing a wheely; the bike is very controllable so it is up to the rider (I do lean forward to help to be sure). After 2 years of use, I am still not concerned about the suspension quality but the Yam accessory Ohlins might stop the rare occasion it gets caught out ($$$ permitting). I am also more than happy with heavy engine braking. This bike is still a gem to me.

Just do it! 

Lots of interesting comments here.  For the record I am a newb rider.  The FZ07 is my first bike ever.  It took about 2 months to get comfortable on the bike.  Reflash the ECU brings more comfort.  Did the MSF1 riders course, then the MSF2 once I felt "very comfortable" on the bike.  Did a few mods that I felt were appropriate.  Suspension is next, then I'm pretty much set.  I don't think you would have a problem with the FZ07 as far as handling and power.  Your weight is in the sweet spot for the FZ07 suspension, so that is a plus.  Riding 2-up is a different game altogether, but it also sounds like your girl is petite, so she may be fine with the pillion seat.  I would go to the dealer and sit with her on one to see how it feels.  I personally wouldn't have bought the FZ07 if my wife wanted to ride also, but then again when I bought the bike I was 215lbs and the pillion seat looked less comfortable than a bicycle seat.

I agree with @gregjet with regards to the Tracer bias if available in your area.  Otherwise see about dealer days and test rides to find what suits you best.  The FZ07 is loads of fun which no one could argue, but may not be the cup of tea that everyone is looking for.  Happy Hunting!

Edited by Zephyr
speeling