The MT-07 Forum

Thoughts on FZ-07 as upgrade from R3?

SpinCycle

Get a Tracer... better option.

Or get an 07 and take the pillion pegs off; no one is ever going to be comfortable on the back of it.

Keep the R3 as well and do the tweaks R1 mentioned; best of both worlds.

Thanks everyone for your responses. Sorry I'm so late to respond myself. 

All things considered, I'd love to end up dual wielding the R3 and FZ in my garage. I'm very anti-financing when it comes to vehicles, so I'd likely buy a used FZ and pay cash. If the wife wants to ride the R3, that'd be great. The FZ may change how I feel when I get on the R3, but we'll cross that bridge when we come to it. I'm a stick in the mud when it comes to brands - once I find something that works there's little reason for my to cross over, so it was Yamaha or bust for me from the get-go. 

Thanks again for the responses. I'll check in again to see if there are any updates.

"If the wife wants to ride the R3, that'd be great."

Good option!!!

Word of warning. Do not expect that because she is a woman, and on a smaller bike, she will be slower in the twisties...

Seen plenty of blokes get disgruntled when their wife/ girlfriend turns out to be a substantially better rider. Not saying it will happen, just be prepared for it if it does.

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

7 minutes ago, gregjet said:

"If the wife wants to ride the R3, that'd be great."

Good option!!!

Word of warning. Do not expect that because she is a woman, and on a smaller bike, she will be slower in the twisties...

Seen plenty of blokes get disgruntled when their wife/ girlfriend turns out to be a substantially better rider. Not saying it will happen, just be prepared for it if it does.

Talk about mangina's when they get beat by a girl :) Crazy how we act, me, turns me on to see fast gals on bikes that know what the heck they are doing

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

The club I used to race at had several women who were pointy end fast. It was always funny to see new guys reaction after they were ridden around by one of them. One used to race with me when she started . We had some wonderful battles. As she progressed just left me behind ( it didn't hurt her speed  that she was racing a Honda rvf400 and I was on a lump of a er6n). When she won the all powers championship , she came up to get her trophy with her baby on her breast.It was 6 weeks after she had given birth. Best woman power moment ever...

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

I currently have an R3 and FZ 07, and the difference in torque between the two cannot be understated. That being said, I do believe that if you approach the FZ-07 carefully and don't frighten it, it won't bite you. No matter what bike you get it is going to have more power and torque than the R3 (< hyperbole). I would suggest taking it to a parking lot and practicing releasing the clutch and rolling on the throttle from a stop.

The biggest scares I had with the FZ-07 were in the first few days of owning it - primarily from grabbing a bit too much throttle when releasing the clutch. I came to the FZ from putting ~2000 miles on a honda shadow spirit 750, which I would wager has a similar acceleration and top speed to the R3 (albeit a completely different riding position). Comparing the throttle on the R3 and Honda I'd say we were in the same boat. I'd do it all over again, but I would definitely do some drills or something similar to what I suggested to get some familiarity with the throttle. 

• 1 year later...
On 12/8/2017 at 10:36 AM, topazsparrow said:

Mind explaining your technique on 3rd gear throttle up wheelies? Been riding this bike for 2 years now and short of taking a jump or dropping the clutch, no way that front wheel is coming off the ground with just the throttle in 3rd gear.

Sit straight on the bike and full throttle in 3rd between 4k and 7k. If you lean back just a little the wheel will come up, only if you want it to. I figured this out because I'm a wheelie addicted maniac. Also its easier to drop the clutch at 4k rpm in first (after adjusting the lever so u can use 2 fingers, that's what I did). If you give throttle you'll either loop it or find a balance point. I've never looped my bike knock on wood, but I've gotten close. KEEP YOUR FOOT ON THE REAR BRAKE, ITS INSTICTIVE TO PULL YOUR LEGS OUT, DONT DO IT AND KEEP IT ON THE DAMN REAR BREAK. It's like a balancing act between throttle n rear. Drop clutch in 4k in first to bring it up, 8k in 2nd to bring it up (depends on weight I'm 200lbs so be careful if your skinny af maybe 6k). 3rd gear power wheelies. I prefer 1st gear wheelies  easiest for me to control plus speed is under 15mph. 2nd gear wheelies are cool, 3rd gear wheelies make me feel like I just wasted 7k on a bike that I'm about to rock. Goodluck!

Grip it & Rip it

I’ve only done a bit over an hour riding two up (each way), definitely not ideal but it isn’t so bad as long as you don’t have to stop often. I’m only around 150 lbs though... Stop and go riding in the city two up  while trying to keep up with the flow of traffic, on the other hand, really sucks on the stock suspension. 

Archived