The MT-07 Forum

MT-09 behind NC750X on alpine roads!

faffi

MOTORRAD together with a few other magazines perform a comparison test every year to find the best bike for the Alps. They start with several groups of bikes and in the final they bring the winner from each group to find the overall winner. In 2014, they loved how easy the Honda was to ride, only lamented the sad lack of power. The MT had only power to receive praise, hence its last place finish. YMMV.

Anyway, the overall winner was the KTM 1190 Adventure.

Alpenmasters 2014.JPG

Either one of them bikes with a equal rider wil be equal i nature.  the FJR is a rocket ship and handles like a sport bike thats a tad over weight.  GS well its a beemer.  But I find it hard to believe that the 100rr scoredless the the 09

Who paid for the ads in the rag that month :)

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

30 minutes ago, shinyribs said:

That is a very is odd list of bikes to find the 09 in. 

🎶" One of these things is not like the others..."🎶

The groups vary a little from year to year a little, but basically they test standards, tourers, adventure bikes and whatever they fancy. Each group is tested against each other to fin the best bike for that style, before gathering all heat winners in the final

For 2014 they had these groups/categories:

Fun bikes:Honda CB 650 F, KTM 690 DukeR, MV Agusta Rivale 800, Yamaha MT-09 

Adventure: Suzuki V-Strom 1000, KTM 1190 Adventure, Triumph Tiger Sport, Yamaha XT 1200 ZE Super Ténéré

Touring: BMW R 1200 RT, Honda VFR 800 F, Kawasaki Z 1000 SX, Yamaha FJR 1300 AE 

Nakeds: Aprilia Tuono V4 R, BMW S 1000 R, Ducati Monster 1200,  KTM 1290 Super Duke R

Novice: Honda NC 750, Moto Guzzi V7 Special, Yamaha MT-07, Yamaha XV 950

Previous winners are:

2005 and 2006: BMW DL 650 V-strom

2007 and 2008: BMW R 1200 R

2009: Honda CB 1300 S

2010 and 2011: BMW R 1200 GS

2012: BMW R 1200 GS and Triumph Tiger Explorer

2013: BMW R 1200 GS

2014: KTM 1190 Adventure

2015: BMW R 1200 RS

2016: Honda XL1000V Africa Twin

2017: BMW R 1200 RS

• Premium Member

I personally agree that the little -09 motor is a gem... its a bruiser when needed or can be used like granny going to church on a sunday slow roll... and there is something about the beautiful siren call of a triple on the pipe

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

When I went back a 2nd time and read it again a little slower I realized the focus is on "best bike for the alps." I almost want to say to just test each bike for the best hand warmers but that would be too easy.  😉

Beemer

I know "Motorrad" making it every year and I always have the same feeling...very strange comparison. :)

here a video from 2017

With the way I ride I would probably find any of those bikes suitable enough for the chore. Let's face it, any bike can make it through turns and go across imperfections in the road (granted, some handle better than others) but how long will they let you do it in comfort before you exclaim, "my ass is aching!"  I would be looking hard at the most comfortable bikes and ignore the rest.

Beemer

Archived