The MT-07 Forum

(Sports) Tourers

faffi

As our climate grows more wet and the temps seems to be set to autumn year round, my ageing body is beginning to demand some shelter for the elements. This doesn't sit well with me since I dislike covered bikes in general and touring bikes in particular - I prefer the looks and simplicity of naked bikes. However, getting uncomfortably cold on virtually every ride longer than a few minutes has grown old, helped no doubt by the lousiest summer in memory.

Since I do not want to spend a national budget on such a bike, I have been looking at a bit older machines from the 90s and early 00s. What I want is good wind and rain protection, comfort, reliability, decent handling on winding roads, shaft final drive and most likely four cylinders. The latter makes me cringe a little since I very much prefer twins, but for a heavy bike the smooth power delivery at all rpm that comes from a four is worth the sacrifice.

Given the criteria, what would you suggest? 

"Nasty Nils", the boss of "1000ps", an austrian online motorcycle magazin, just discussed recently the same question.

Here is the video (in german). 

The best cheaper winter bikes for him you can see here --> https://www.1000ps.at/gebrauchte-motorraeder/marke/Honda/modell/Yamaha-XJ-900-S-Diversion?Preis=1 - 3000&Marke[1]=BMW&Marke[2]=Yamaha&Modell[1]=Honda-NT-650V-Deauville&Modell[2]=Honda-NTV-650-Revere&Modell[3]=BMW-K-75&Modell[4]=BMW-K-75-C&Modell[5]=Honda-ST-1100-Pan-European&Modell[6]=Honda-VT-500-E

BMW K75 (c)
Honda NT 650V Deauville

Honda NTV 650 Revere
Honda ST 1100 Pan-European
Honda VT 500 E
Yamaha XL 900 S Diversion

Maybe that helps.

Thank you! German the Austrian way really take its toll on my concentration, having only learned German at school 40 years ago 🤓 Aber mit etwas Geduld geht es schon 😁

I had a VT500FT Ascot some years back, and it survived many winters surprisingly well. But no wind protection. Of the bikes in his list, only the ST1100 offer proper protection, although all models are robust and have shaft final drive.

Funny how different people think. The reason I wanted the FZ 07 was because I wanted a light, nimble sport tourer that had good torque down low to keep me from having to always hunt for the right gear when riding mountain roads. To me, it's my perfect sport-touring bike. BUT...I also never ride 2-up and can travel very light. And I even find the seat/ ergos very comfortable at 6' 2"! Add handlebar muffs and a balaclava and I'm pretty much comfy down to about 20 degrees F. I work outside year 'round, so I'm not very sensitive to extreme temps. Wind and rain protection to me is nothing more than a quality rainsuit ( Olympia Horizon suit currently) and waxed leather boots. Never have found any good waterproof gloves, yet...

For an inline four with good torque, sporty handling and all day comfy ergos, the Suzuki Bandit 1200 or 1250 would be hard to beat. I seriously considered a B12 when looking at the 07, but decided I just didn't want that much weight. Nice, clean used older 1200's ( carb'd and air/oil cooled) are extremely reliable and usually can be had for around $2,000 in my area. The trick is finding someone willing to actually let go of their B12! 

VFR is another great option. 

The MT07 is exceptional for a twin in that it pulls so well from low rpm and still can rev. But I get cold rather easily, and riding my brother's K1100LT followed by his XT600 Tenere immediately after on a day just above freezing really showed how dramatic the difference in comfort is between fully faired a little faired. The GSX1250FA is a good alternative, the Viffer too sporty for me in that I want to sit more upright and have a bit more leg room.

Grip it & Rip it
On 12/8/2017 at 12:36 PM, faffi said:

Thank you! German the Austrian way really take its toll on my concentration, having only learned German at school 40 years ago 🤓 Aber mit etwas Geduld geht es schon 😁

I had a VT500FT Ascot some years back, and it survived many winters surprisingly well. But no wind protection. Of the bikes in his list, only the ST1100 offer proper protection, although all models are robust and have shaft final drive.

ah, but you're forgetting about the K75RT. If this isn't enough wind protection, nothing will be. 3 cylinders instead of 4 though.

bmw-k75-rt-8.jpg

Yes, that is an option, as is the K1100RS. The old GSX1100EF (GS1150EF in USA) is also an alternative, but growing a bit old, så hard to find a good example. 

No, it is on the list. They are not all that common here and generally demand high-ish prices, but not nearly as bad as the Honda STs. Cheapest are often BMWs, surprisingly enough.

I didn't see any reference to price point and interest/ability to perform required maintenance on your bike.  These two pieces of info will help us better provide recommendations.

5 minutes ago, RSTX said:

Where are you?

At home.

🙃

Norway. So a totally different market to USA. Also roads are different and speed mostly limited to 50 mph or less on the roads I ride. Power is wanted to climb steep mountains with ease, not to go fast.

At home! **snort** 😁 LMAO! 

This could be a dumb question, but....have you thought about putting a large wind screen and some grip guards on the FZ/MT 07? That plus some heated grips and a heated jacket/pants might be enough.

I have heated grips and Givi hand guards, which made a noticeable difference to comfort. Heated gear is of course an option that will work quite well, but a fairing is still great in the wind and rain. Are there fairings for the MT07 with more protection than the race fairing?

Just off the top of my head I recommend this:

https://www.topspeed.com/motorcycles/honda-vfr/ke2838.html

Maybe not the best for wind protection but I've always heard good things about this bike. Shaft drive and it can feel pretty sporty but yet smooth as butter. Reportedly, the exhaust note howl it makes is pretty sweet also. It may be a more rounded bike than others with better wind protection.

Edit: I just read that you dont want a VFR because of the reasons you listed. Soooo ..... nevermind!

Oh, hey! Here's a good wind blocker with just about everything1

http://www.2040-motos.com/Honda/Gold-Wing/honda-goldwing-gl1200-full-dresser-motorcycle-runs-great-smooth-cruiser-bike--13516/

Not this particular bike but a cheap, used one like it near you.

Beemer

1 hour ago, faffi said:

I have heated grips and Givi hand guards, which made a noticeable difference to comfort. Heated gear is of course an option that will work quite well, but a fairing is still great in the wind and rain. Are there fairings for the MT07 with more protection than the race fairing?

I do not know of any fairing kits. Perhaps the rumored FJ 07 would work for you though. 

Beemer, the VFR1200 is not quite as sporty as the VFR750/800, but still on the sporty side when it comes to the riding position. It is also heavily overpriced. MCN rated the GSX1250FA as a better bike at half the price.

Gold Wings are just too big.

Sorry for being so difficult 😜

Archived